PDA

View Full Version : Wohoo ... new gun

TacFan
02-28-2006, 6:52 PM
Just picked up an SU-16A. It just feels so good in my hands. I will make this a long range rifle with a scope.

I'm also going to buy the SU-16CA and have that as a CQB weapon with an eotech, compact forend, and compensator. :D

Ok I'm editing this post. Forget about the long range rifle, that's what the ar is for. So for now, this will be a fun little gun.

shopkeep
02-28-2006, 6:53 PM
Don't forget to buy an off-list lower to keep those company in your safe :D!

~Scott~
02-28-2006, 6:54 PM
I have had the CA for a few months now but just recently had the time to shoot it for the first time... it was a blast.... fun little gun :)

donger
02-28-2006, 7:09 PM
The Kel Tec Su-16 is a fun gun, no doubt. But the plastic rails make it an unlikely candidate for long range shooting since the scope will not be able to hold zero for an extended amount of time. Maybe if you install a fore-end an aluminum fore-end it's possible...check some earlier posts.

That said, I love my Kel Tec Su-16. It's a great little rifle. Accurate, compact, portable, and takes AR mags.

ohsmily
02-28-2006, 7:38 PM
Just picked up an SU-16A. It just feels so good in my hands. I will make this a long range rifle with a scope.

That is a poor choice for a "long range" rifle. The SU-16 platform is great for what it is, lightweight carbine, compact, semi auto...but not a long range tack driver. Get an M1A or a bolt gun, (or even an SKS if you have to) for a longer range rifle.

blacklisted
02-28-2006, 8:21 PM
Has anyone tried putting a metal rail riser/extension over the plastic rail on the SU-16?

Something like these: http://www.yhm.net/store/rails.html

You could even epoxy or find another way to secure them to the plastic rail for added stability.

ohsmily
02-28-2006, 8:32 PM
Has anyone tried putting a metal rail riser/extension over the plastic rail on the SU-16?

You could even epoxy or find another way to secure them to the plastic rail for added stability.

First of all, the plastic rail is only one shortcoming to the SU-16 being accurate. Second, even if you affixed or epoxied a metal rail to the plastic rail to which you would mount an optic, it would still have the plastic rail as its platform. It is more than sufficient for short range optics, but will NEVER be sufficient for bench work or precision long range performance.

But again, the SU-16 is a great rifle for what it is designed for. I have a Armalite from back in 1999 and some off list lowers as well but still plan on getting an SU-16CA.

C.G.
02-28-2006, 8:37 PM

I had a tri-rail on my SU-16A before I sold it. It helped, but still was not ideal.

blacklisted
02-28-2006, 8:46 PM
First of all, the plastic rail is only one shortcoming to the SU-16 being accurate. Second, even if you affixed or epoxied a metal rail to the plastic rail to which you would mount an optic, it would still have the plastic rail as its platform. It is more than sufficient for short range optics, but will NEVER be sufficient for bench work or precision long range performance.

But again, the SU-16 is a great rifle for what it is designed for. I have a Armalite from back in 1999 and some off list lowers as well but still plan on getting an SU-16CA.

I also plan on getting a SU-16CA. I know that it isn't designed for longer ranges, but I think that a metal rail would allow for a more stable base on a red-dot sight or something similar. Hopefully kel-tec will eventually mold an aluminum rail in.

tenpercentfirearms
02-28-2006, 8:58 PM
I sold my SU-16A as soon as the lower business started and never looked back. And as many of you now know the sad truth, I bought six more FAB-10s too, so that really doesn't say much for my sanity.

bu-bye
02-28-2006, 9:23 PM
I sold my SU-16A as soon as the lower business started and never looked back. And as many of you now know the sad truth, I bought six more FAB-10s too, so that really doesn't say much for my sanity.

People are going to start calling you "Wacky Wes" :D .

I like my SU-16CA. Its a fun gun but not a tack driver. Sub MOA is possible but just not worth all the work it takes. I've done it but it takes all the fun away from this rifle. It a rifle you just want to take into the woods and shoot stuff, like a kid with his first 22 :)

TacFan
02-28-2006, 9:34 PM

I really don't get the hype of the lowers :confused: Sure you have a cool looking rifle but the mag is fixed, how fun could that be ? :eek:

bu-bye
02-28-2006, 9:36 PM
I really don't get the hype of the lowers :confused: Sure you have a cool looking rifle but the mag is fixed, how fun could that be ? :eek:

Not everyone will have a fixed mag;)

There are other options :D

TacFan
02-28-2006, 9:39 PM
Not everyone will have a fixed mag;)

There are other options :D

please pm if you know something I don't know :D
Are you just getting rid of the pistol grip ?

TacFan
02-28-2006, 9:41 PM

just looked at your website, can I get a quote on the CA model ?

rodgster
03-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Isn't that the CRIMPED ON BARREL P.O.S. I've seen @ gun shops that are afraid to touch anything else?

I may be talking out my a** here as I've never fired one, but it looked to me like the barrel would probably go shooting down the range like a torpedo after a mag or two.

And people say hesse is a POS:confused:

WTF?

I'd rather have a garand or M-1 carbine or level action 30-30 Marlin or mini-14 or .... Maybe it's just me. I don't like that gun.

If you need to use your pre-ban standard cap mags that bad, move to a free state or pray that the Supreme Court overturns our slave state laws. Which just might happen.:)

tenpercentfirearms
03-01-2006, 5:44 AM
The quote on the CA model is zero. Kel-Tec is way behind production so they rarely come out. I got two in a while back and they instantly sold. I think my price on them is about $528. You can put a deposit on one and as soon as I get one, it goes to you. Otherwise, get in the long, long line. They are scarce.

TacFan
03-01-2006, 8:25 AM
The quote on the CA model is zero. Kel-Tec is way behind production so they rarely come out. I got two in a while back and they instantly sold. I think my price on them is about $528. You can put a deposit on one and as soon as I get one, it goes to you. Otherwise, get in the long, long line. They are scarce.

If I put a deposit down, you wouldn't be able to tell me how long it would take one to get to you would you ? Also, would I be able to do a pick up ?

tenpercentfirearms
03-01-2006, 8:48 AM
That is the only bad thing, I have no idea. However, if I have your money, I am probably going to try like crazy to find one for you. I like to give people something for their money. And you most certainly can come to Taft to do your paperwork, but you have to make two trips, one to start DROS and ten days later to pick it up. Contact me via e-mail so we don't high jack this thread. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

slo5oh
03-01-2006, 8:55 AM
I like my SU-16CA... shoot stuff like a kid with his first 22 :)

ROFL! I guess I'm the only one that read it like this...
but, don't shoot some poor kid with his first 22!

:D

Viagrow
03-01-2006, 8:58 AM
An aquaintance of mine had a su-16, he now calls them the sux-16.

The accuracy was awful. But, if you have no other choice.

:(

slo5oh
03-01-2006, 1:37 PM
An aquaintance of mine had a su-16, he now calls them the sux-16.

The accuracy was awful. But, if you have no other choice.

:(

I call mine a sux 16 also, but the accuracy isn't bad at all. Don't get me wrong... my rear site was loose so I was WAY wild until I got it near centered. I put my first 200 rounds through her a few weeks back at a 100 yard range. The last 20 rounds made a very nice 4" group (with a couple wild shots) about 3" to the right of center. That's respectable for iron sites IMO.
I'm sure with the little scope I got I'll be able to get 2" groups easy.

CALI-gula
03-01-2006, 2:20 PM
I just bought an SU-16CA the other day!! I already have an SU-16 "A" model (before it was called the A model). It is a super low serial number and I had been one of the first in CA to get one. I love it!

The A model was as accurate as my pre-94-ban Bushmaster HBAR, more accurate than my Mini 14's (a factory Folder GB and a ranch model) but under no circumstances do I believe it will ever be a long-range rifle or ever come close, even with modifications to the plastic picatinny rail or a miriad of idealogical revisions. I have numerous other guns for "long range" that would better serve for that purpose. Even my Olympic Arms "Ultramatch" or a PWA with a Harris barrel would be better "long-range" guns than an SU-16.

It's just a fun, eat-anything carbine that I do believe is less likely to jamb than an AR. I have shot a few hundred rounds from my A model all in one day, then let a friend shoot it while I continued on with other guns (which I selfishly would NOT let him shoot) and he put another few hundred rounds through it. In all, it was a total of 800 rounds of crappy old lacquer coated Wolf ammo left over from 1999 (a cheap purchase from someone that had thought the sky would fall 1/1/00 and bought 1000 rnds). So in 800 rounds, it never lost accuracy and did not have a single failure to feed, failure to fire, stove-pipe, or jamb.

I hear a lot of people ragging on these, and I get the impression their derision is derived more from the Ford vs. Chevy, AR vs. AK, School vs. school kind of issues, and they are merely validating a purchase or choice they have made by professing loud objections to other rifles on the market.

It is what it is. I would not take a Hummer to race at Indy, nor would I take a baseball bat to putt on the green. I don't think I would take a Kel-tec to Iraq, but it is still a great, fun rifle and much better than what some have said badly about it, which in most all cases appears to be heresy or unfounded myth.

If I own a 1998 Dodge Viper, does that mean I should never consider buying a 1970 Datsun 240Z just for fun and variation, especially if I can afford it?

By the way, does anyone know where I can buy a nice, pristine 1970 240Z ?

bu-bye
03-01-2006, 2:48 PM
I just bought an SU-16CA the other day!! I already have an SU-16 "A" model (before it was called the A model). It is a super low serial number and I had been one of the first in CA to get one. I love it!

The A model was as accurate as my pre-94-ban Bushmaster HBAR, more accurate than my Mini 14's (a factory Folder GB and a ranch model) but under no circumstances do I believe it will ever be a long-range rifle or ever come close, even with modifications to the plastic picatinny rail or a miriad of idealogical revisions. I have numerous other guns for "long range" that would better serve for that purpose. Even my Olympic Arms "Ultramatch" or a PWA with a Harris barrel would be better "long-range" guns than an SU-16.

It's just a fun, eat-anything carbine that I do believe is less likely to jamb than an AR. I have shot a few hundred rounds from my A model all in one day, then let a friend shoot it while I continued on with other guns (which I selfishly would NOT let him shoot) and he put another few hundred rounds through it. In all, it was a total of 800 rounds of crappy old lacquer coated Wolf ammo left over from 1999 (a cheap purchase from someone that had thought the sky would fall 1/1/00 and bought 1000 rnds). So in 800 rounds, it never lost accuracy and did not have a single failure to feed, failure to fire, stove-pipe, or jamb.

I hear a lot of people ragging on these, and I get the impression their derision is derived more from the Ford vs. Chevy, AR vs. AK, School vs. school kind of issues, and they are merely validating a purchase or choice they have made by professing loud objections to other rifles on the market.

It is what it is. I would not take a Hummer to race at Indy, nor would I take a baseball bat to putt on the green. I don't think I would take a Kel-tec to Iraq, but it is still a great, fun rifle and much better than what some have said badly about it, which in most all cases appears to be heresy or unfounded myth.

If I own a 1998 Dodge Viper, does that mean I should never consider buying a 1970 Datsun 240Z just for fun and variation, especially if I can afford it?

By the way, does anyone know where I can buy a nice, pristine 1970 240Z ?

Well put.

Now, Can I drive your Viper:D

ohsmily
03-01-2006, 3:08 PM
It's just a fun, eat-anything carbine that I do believe is less likely to jamb than an AR.

So in 800 rounds, it never lost accuracy and did not have a single failure to feed, failure to fire, stove-pipe, or jamb.

jamb also jambe n.
1. One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces that together form the sides of a door, window frame, or fireplace, for example.
2. A projecting mass or columnar part.

I think you are looking for jam (or more specifically, malfunction, failure to feed, failure to extract, stovepipe, failure to fire etc.) :D

bu-bye
03-01-2006, 3:13 PM
jamb also jambe n.
1. One of a pair of vertical posts or pieces that together form the sides of a door, window frame, or fireplace, for example.

I think you are looking for jam (or more specifically, malfunction, failure to feed, failure to extract, stovepipe, failure to fire etc.)

Smart ***** LOL;)

CALI-gula
03-02-2006, 12:25 AM
jamb also jambe n.

I think you are looking for jam (or more specifically, malfunction, failure to feed, failure to extract, stovepipe, failure to fire etc.) :D

No. Actually I intended to use jamb instead of jam. My correlation to the use of jamb was to draw those similarities to a vertical support of a door or window, the opening in this case being the chamber, by which the bolt travel would stop on a spent case, the reason I state stove-pipe but also describe stove-piping by use of the extenuating description "or jamb" (instead of jam). This is not unlike saying maroon or crimson. I could just have easily used jam to describe another flaw, and one might think of jam within my use as acceptable, however, I intended to use jamb, which is much more likely with an AR. AR bolts typically do not jam on their own architecture, but instead get caught on a jamb created by a spent .223 case. Jamming is rare except on extremely tight tolerance guns, dirty guns, or guns that have not been lubricated properly. It can happen, as reports from Iraq on M4s will indicate, likely due to sand, but it still is rare.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 7:07 AM
i hope you are kidding...

funny guy.

CALI-gula
03-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Explanations like that have kept me out of plenty of jambs and are the reason I have been married to the same woman for 12 years! Albeit, I am usually digging myself out of BIGGER holes than that, so I have become a pro! Why do I do it? She looks great in pajambas! :D

slo5oh
03-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Explanations like that have kept me out of plenty of jambs and are the reason I have been married to the same woman for 12 years! Albeit, I am usually digging myself out of BIGGER holes than that, so I have become a pro! Why do I do it? She looks great in pajambas! :D

You are good.
:D

blacklisted
03-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Isn't that the CRIMPED ON BARREL P.O.S. I've seen @ gun shops that are afraid to touch anything else?

I may be talking out my a** here as I've never fired one, but it looked to me like the barrel would probably go shooting down the range like a torpedo after a mag or two.

And people say hesse is a POS:confused:

WTF?

I'd rather have a garand or M-1 carbine or level action 30-30 Marlin or mini-14 or .... Maybe it's just me. I don't like that gun.

If you need to use your pre-ban standard cap mags that bad, move to a free state or pray that the Supreme Court overturns our slave state laws. Which just might happen.:)

You must be thinking of something else. The barrel is not crimped on.