PDA

View Full Version : Fresno Area-Need gunsmith for AK

C.W.M.V.
04-26-2010, 1:48 PM
Hey all just piked up a bulgy FSB and zig-zag brake from Saiga12. Want to install this on my Saiga 5.45.

I have already talked to mayfield, they quoted 100 bucks for the whole deal (remove stock piece, install new piece and refinish) which doesn't seem half bad. Ive had nothing but good things come from mayfield and I know they will make it right if something goes badly...but...they told me this would be the first time they had done such an operation. That makes me a little uneasy, don't want to get the canted FSB.

So who else in town is a reputable smith who has some AK stuff under their belt? Oh and wont charge me an arm and leg+tax.

Just want to see what my options are, otherwise Ill happily go to mayfield.

4thSBCT
04-26-2010, 1:53 PM
100 sounds like a lot. If its just the fsb there shouldnt be any need for refinishing anything unless the fsb your putting on is in bad shape.. I would do it for you but you are very far from OC area

C.W.M.V.
04-26-2010, 2:00 PM
100 sounds like a lot. If its just the fsb there shouldnt be any need for refinishing anything unless the fsb your putting on is in bad shape.. I would do it for you but you are very far from OC area

Well there you go that's why I posted the thread!

wildog8812
04-26-2010, 2:11 PM
Mayfields is where i go for all mu gun stuff but I agree they can get pricey with some of their stuff. If you are gonna have it done their talk to Josh he is one of the most knowledgeable people there about guns. You can also try PRK arms www.prkarms.org there are here in Fresno and specialize with black rifles. I have not dealt with them personally but have hear many good thing however I don't know if they will do this or not. Best way is to call and ask.

C.W.M.V.
04-26-2010, 2:21 PM
Mayfields is where i go for all mu gun stuff but I agree they can get pricey with some of their stuff. If you are gonna have it done their talk to Josh he is one of the most knowledgeable people there about guns. You can also try PRK arms www.prkarms.org there are here in Fresno and specialize with black rifles. I have not dealt with them personally but have hear many good thing however I don't know if they will do this or not. Best way is to call and ask.

I tried, they are closed Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

MrSlippyFist
04-26-2010, 2:26 PM
I would try PRK, give them a call.

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Well I called PRK...
Very to the point quoted 3 hours labor for total of...$225!
I understand business needing to make a profit, but damn!
Ill be going to Mayfield.

Nookieaki
04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I went to mayfield's and asked them how much they were going to charge to install my smith vortex flash hider, they said they wont install it until they have the "whole" rifle at their shop. I then replied, it's only the upper that needs the FH not the lower but they proceeded to say if I don't bring in the complete gun they won't work on it.

To this day, I refuse to shop there and they don't know diddly squat about AR15 rules/regulations.

ar15barrels
04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Well I called PRK...
Very to the point quoted 3 hours labor for total of...$225!
I understand business needing to make a profit, but damn!
Ill be going to Mayfield.

I need to raise my shop rate to $75/hr to keep up with the times.

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I went to mayfield's and asked them how much they were going to charge to install my smith vortex flash hider, they said they wont install it until they have the "whole" rifle at their shop. I then replied, it's only the upper that needs the FH not the lower but they proceeded to say if I don't bring in the complete gun they won't work on it.

To this day, I refuse to shop there and they don't know diddly squat about AR15 rules/regulations.

Well good thing for me I don't give a damn about M16's anymore.

Why not take the whole weapon in? The guys there do good work and are above reproach.
I mean c'mon, tell me they ripped you off, called you a racial slur, questioned your parentage, or sacrifice small animals to Satan, but just because they want to cover their own *** in this era in this state? Seems ok to me.
I'm talking a difference of over $100 to do the same job, going to need something concrete!

Thanks for the reply though!;) Nice avatar-SVD=hard on.

juicemansam
04-28-2010, 4:49 PM
Maybe it's time for a Central Valley build party?

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 5:20 PM
Maybe it's time for a Central Valley build party?

Hey if someone here has the tools Id go buy a kit and flat receiver.

RGERBER
04-28-2010, 7:33 PM
Do not go to Discount guns, Larry Knight had my gun 4 months and still did not do what I asked. I think he had it so long he forgot.

I had to call him and several times, he said he would get to it. I told him I would be there in two weeks to pick it up ready or not. Then he finished it. It was just replacing the firing pin.

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 8:01 PM
Is that the place on olive?
I was in there today and they told me flat out they don't work on assault type weapons.

Mayfield is still winning this competition

hollowpoint
04-28-2010, 8:16 PM
PRK arms quoted you what?!?!?!?!

Last time I had some work done there on my AR they quoted me one hours labor at $40.00 and this was just two months ago. Crazy. I guess go to Mayfield. I don't know of any other places that would work on your rifle.

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 8:19 PM
Ya he actually told me 60 per hour, so 3 hours = 225? Ive been trying to figure that one out. $45 charge for not buying their parts? I don't know.

Not that Ive got anything against PRK but Ill be "voting with my wallet" as it were.

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2010, 8:26 PM
Why don't you do it yourself?

paintballergb
04-28-2010, 8:32 PM
I don't know which places will work on aks but did you call breco or mccormicks?

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 8:36 PM
Breco doesn't do that sort of work, Rob actually directed me to discount guns. Never heard of McCormick? Is that the place off of Blackstone?

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 8:37 PM
Why don't you do it yourself?

I would love to, however I haven't found a bullet proof way of getting the alignment done correctly at home since its dimpled (pressed?) on rather than pinned, kinda has me worried.

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2010, 8:43 PM
Maybe a local CGer will step up and offer you a little assistance?

javabum
04-28-2010, 8:49 PM
Do not go to Discount guns, Larry Knight had my gun 4 months and still did not do what I asked. I think he had it so long he forgot.

I had to call him and several times, he said he would get to it. I told him I would be there in two weeks to pick it up ready or not. Then he finished it. It was just replacing the firing pin.

I know Larry and his wife and his wife i a decent person but Larry is a flake.He had a gun of mine for 3 months a few years back and have not gone back since.

Mayfields in the past was a terrible place to have gun work done till they changed gun smiths.Now im confident with them.

Also give Mike Badella a call...hes in madera....(559)647-0387

Saigon1965
04-28-2010, 8:58 PM
Lets not send more work to PRK until they're done with the AK pistol group buy -

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 9:00 PM
Lets not send more work to PRK until they're done with the AK pistol group buy -

How much are they asking for AK pistols?

paintballergb
04-28-2010, 9:08 PM
I know Larry and his wife and his wife i a decent person but Larry is a flake.He had a gun of mine for 3 months a few years back and have not gone back since.

Mayfields in the past was a terrible place to have gun work done till they changed gun smiths.Now im confident with them.

Also give Mike Badella a call...hes in madera....(559)647-0387

Is Mike still around?

paintballergb
04-28-2010, 9:09 PM
Breco doesn't do that sort of work, Rob actually directed me to discount guns. Never heard of McCormick? Is that the place off of Blackstone?

There are two on Blackstone one is McCormicks and one is Fresno Firearms. McCormicks in the more south of the two.

Saigon1965
04-28-2010, 9:10 PM
Oh man don't even ask - The GB is almost 2 years old - Am still waiting -

How much are they asking for AK pistols?

roughneck427
04-28-2010, 9:13 PM
Mayfields did my mosin when i had the PE scope mount drilled and tapped they did a great job it did take 3 weeks but well worth the wait for the price.

javabum
04-28-2010, 9:15 PM
Is Mike still around?

yup...we have an RC club on one of his property's...the one with the gunsmith shop.....i have not seen him in a couple months but hes still around....pretty cool and laid back guy for the most part.

elSquid
04-28-2010, 9:20 PM
Oh man don't even ask - The GB is almost 2 years old - Am still waiting -

Holey moley! :eek::eek:

-- Michael

paintballergb
04-28-2010, 9:28 PM
yup...we have an RC club on one of his property's...the one with the gunsmith shop.....i have not seen him in a couple months but hes still around....pretty cool and laid back guy for the most part.

I use to play paintball over there when he first got that property some 6 years ago.

+1 on checking Mike out. He is a good guy.

SxB
04-28-2010, 9:29 PM
i've personally never used PRK but i here they do good work. you know what they say. you get what you pay for.

Saigon1965
04-28-2010, 9:31 PM
I do know that it will come to fruition soon -

Holey moley! :eek::eek:

-- Michael

bigthaiboy
04-29-2010, 2:17 AM

Hi Saigon, I'm glad you stepped up and said something. Two years and counting to build a dozen AK pistols is just embarrassing. I feel for you, man.

C.W.M.V.
04-29-2010, 8:04 PM
Well guys I ended up talking to someone from PRK and took everything in there today. Was done in an hour and a half for less than mayfield quoted.

If Ive got to eat some crow here well, ok, but PRK definitely did right by me. There is alot to be said for actually going into the store and talking to someone over just getting a phone quote. Definitely going to go to them for my "black rifle" needs.

Oh and I saw ALOT of AK pistols in there all near completion. Guys you have some very nice pieces coming!