View Full Version : Range Report AR-180b

04-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I've had this rifle for years and it's been sitting in the back of the safe. Today I decided to take to the range for a workout. I've been on an AR kick for the last several years and I forgot how nice this original piston rifle is. ArmaLite did a good job improving on the original design and it shows. I put 300 rounds thru it of Lake City M193 and Winchester Q3131. The 180b functioned perfectly and the trigger on mine breaks cleanly at 5 lbs. I really forgot what a joy this thing is to shoot. It easily shoots 2 moa at 100 yards. There was talk about ArmaLite updating this design even more, but why I ask. This rifle is great as it is and with all the new piston ARs coming to market you can still pick these up at very reasonable prices. If you've never shot one of these gems you'll be surprised when you do. This is a great little rifle that has now moved to the front of my safe.

04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
wow that rifle is pretty :yes:

04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
My dad has one of the original AR-180's that was made in Howa, Japan. Very cool rifle, shoots well, and I love the quick detach system for optics on top. He can switch between a high powered scope and a red-dot in about ten seconds (and the mounts are only $60 vs. $120 for a good AR QD mount).