View Full Version : Help with LEO OLL issue...

04-26-2010, 8:44 AM
I have an AR-15 I built with a bullet button, completely legal, OLL based rifle. I am an LEO and my agency recently authorized me to use my AR for work purposes, with reimbursement etc. How do I legally (through what channels) convert my BB OLL rifle to detachable mag?

quick draw mcgraw
04-26-2010, 8:58 AM
I believe you would have buy a new stripped lower and register it as a RAW through your dept. Then you can build it up with your upper etc. IIRC, once registered as a typical long gun you cannot re-register as an AW for LEO or otherwise.

04-26-2010, 9:19 AM
DOJ (illegally: underground regulation) frowns on OLL->reg'd LEO AW conversions.

So the only way you can do this is start fresh and have a CA FFL holding an AW permit import a true
AW for you (along with you getting signed off by your chief, doing DOJ reg paperwork, etc.)

You could probably, if you wanted, send your gun out to an out of state FFL and then have it reimported
without BulletButton by the CA FFL with DOJ AW permit - and then do the relevant paperwork.

Some PDs/SOs only allow certain types of ARs with certain accessories and don't allow "parts guns" even
indeed if the upper is a top-notch one: lotsa CA PDs seem to restrict to Colt, Bushmaster and Armalite.

04-26-2010, 9:21 AM
I'm not sure but there are only about 5 people on this forum who I would take their word for it. They are- Hoffmang, bwiese, artherd, Oaklander, and Librarian. There may well be others who can steer you right but those 5 I would trust with a question of this nature. I do know that LEOs are able to purchase an AW with a authorization letter on a Dept. letterhead so that may be all you need to register an OLL as an AW. You could call the DOJ and ask.

Edit: Well one of the 5 answered while I was typing so there you go.

04-26-2010, 9:50 AM
Get a new rifle on letterhead and reg as AW. Don't forget it's a tax write off.

04-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I have an LEO friend that went through this recently. DOJ was being such a pain in the butt that he finally just had his dept write a letter and he went and bought a new Colt 6940 complete off of the shelf. He had no issues this way with registration or paperwork.


04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Get a letter from your chief or designee to purchase and register an assault weapon for duty use.

Buy a new lower, swap out the parts - or buy a complete rifle, and have the OLL as a spare.