PDA

View Full Version : SW M&P40 for Lefty's

quig
04-26-2010, 8:26 AM
I am doing some research for a buddy, whom is left-handed, and looking into getting a full lefty pistol.

I think the biggest factor would be the slide release and mag release. Which has led me to the M&P40. Despite my efforts to convince him otherwise, he is insistent on using the thumb safety. Does anyone have any experience switching the safety from the left to the right side? Is this an expensive job through the gun smith?

Any other suggestions of which handgun will fit his requirements. His dream would be the FNX40, which is completely ambidextrous, but off the roster.

Thanks

sk8804
04-26-2010, 11:46 AM
currently there is no m&p 40 with a thumb safety on the ca roster. The non ca ones have ambidextrous safety.

ltspongebob
04-26-2010, 12:59 PM
As a lefty, I prefer my pistols set for rightys. Most of the time I use my fingers to release the slide and mag release, this works better for me than using my thumb.

The exception to this rule is my USP .40; it has a safety/decocker in variant 2 (safety/decocker on the right; set for leftys). The mag release is ambidextrous for the USP. That was my first handgun and I couldn't find an ambi one.

Sponge

theneko
04-26-2010, 2:17 PM
It depends on what type of manual of arms he wants.

I have an M&P 9 and I never switched the mag release - I use my left trigger finger. Same with my 1911. The M&P has no safety.

If he wants a 1911 he can get an ambi saftey (I still use the righty mag release)

If he wants a SA/DA with decocker there are very few with a right-side decocker or safety. Try an FNP-9/40/45 or their new models FNX-9/40 (which arent on the roster yet) have decocker and safety.

The old S&W 3rd gen autos have them on both sides too (e.g. 5906). But they are hard to reach.

The Sigs are out if you want a decocker or safety on the left but my P250 (DAO) has a great slide release that you can flick with either thumb.

On my M&P the slide release is farther forward so I have to use my Tat too.

HTH

DannyZRC
04-26-2010, 2:50 PM
Ruger SR9 has ambi safety, ambi mag, but righty slide release.

XD pistols have ambi mag release, but the ambi-safety is only on the .45 and the slide release is righty.

P2000 has ambi mag, ambi slide release, but no safety. (fairly ambi decock on decock models)

USP/USPc can be configured with righty/ambi/lefty control levers, they have ambi magazine release, but righty slide release.

the HK45 is off-roster, but it has ambi mag, ambi slide, and the control lever can be set up lefty/ambi/righty, not a .40

the P30 is off-roster (and you would need to find a way to modify mags to 10rds) and, in the P30S version, has an ambi safety, ambi mag, ambi slide release (again, fairly ambi decocker on models so equipped)

as you already mentioned, the FNX is off-roster but also fully ambi.

quig
04-26-2010, 2:51 PM
Great info, I'll pass it along.

Thanks

theneko
04-26-2010, 3:33 PM
>> P2000 has ambi mag, ambi slide release, but no safety. (fairly ambi decock on decock models

Are you sure? Is that the model with the decock on the back? If that is the one I am thinking of I had to totally shift my griip to get it when shooting left handed. Is it on the back vertcally to the left of the hammer? Since it's on the rear of the gun it's "fairly" ambi as you say but I had to really let go of the grip to get at it. Might just be my hand size but I had to eliminate it from my list...

Markus
04-26-2010, 3:39 PM
How about a Cz 85? They are full ambi I believe. However as I look on the California Roster they are not included so just nevermind.

DannyZRC
04-26-2010, 3:48 PM
neko, you have the correct decock mechanism in mind, and you also have the reasons for my "fairly" qualifier. :)

the P30 decocker is identical to the P2000, as well.