PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for bear.

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 7:48 AM
I bear hunt but this is not what I'm really looking to use for hunting more so just to keep the shotgun loaded up around camp. I always have my 870 HD close and handy for camp defense be it a 2 legged critter or bear and I have always kept it loaded with 00 buck. Recently one of our VERY remote camp spots has seemed to be over crowded with bears I s*** you not they seem not to be bothered by humans anymore or our campsite and I don't like that. Now I understand the chances of an attack or something of the like is rare but like I said there seems to be a lot more bears around the area than usual. I'm reconsidering having 00buck in my 12 guage. Will it do the job? I always assumed so but I don't want to have to assume when I need it. I'm thinking slugs now.

PatriotnMore
04-26-2010, 8:03 AM
IMO, slugs are preferred over 00. However, a warning shot may be all you need to get them moving along.

Ballistic043
04-26-2010, 8:08 AM
00 buck will definitely increase your chances of hitting a target during duress. however, slugs will provide better penetration and kinetic energy. so there are trade off's with each round in the situation. but i think id have to say i would go with slugs. and if i had a side saddle, have buckshot there for easy access.

for slugs, choose the highest velocity you can handle. for me this is either brenneke 3 inch magnum slugs or remington sluggers. and then if i had a side carrier, load 3 inch magnum 000. if there was one situation id actually avoid 2 & 3/4 shells, this would be it.

it scares me that bears are not afraid of people. they are taking advantage of people for their food source. but when the day comes that the people dont have food to give them, they may become the food.

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 8:09 AM
What kind of slugs do you recommend? My shotgun is 2-3/4"-3". I understand a warning shot might be all I need and I understand the probability of this happening is not to big but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Right?

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 8:11 AM
I have a mesa side saddle and it usually stays loaded with 2 3/4 00buck. Whats the difference between the 0buck,00buck,000buck? I have some 0 buck some where and some 3 inch 00 buck as well.

PatriotnMore
04-26-2010, 8:16 AM
http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

daveinwoodland
04-26-2010, 8:16 AM
Here you go Chris O

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 8:18 AM
Cool chart. I have never seen that!

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 8:20 AM
Seems 00 would do the job just fine even the #1 shot is 30. cal size of 7.62 thats mostly what I use for bear anyways! well 30-06. Is there a chart that shows how many rounds of buck are in the shells?

Ballistic043
04-26-2010, 8:23 AM
basically its the size of the shot contained within the shell. the lower the number, the larger the shot is. but the larger the shot is, the less there is in each shell.

00 buck pellets are about 8.4mm in diameter, 000 is 9.14mm.

personally if you want the best bear stoppers, skip the 2 & 3/4 and go to 3 inch slugs and 000 buck. you get more shot and power.

daveinwoodland
04-26-2010, 8:23 AM
This one has the number of pellets on it:

http://www.wilsonprecision.com/shotinfo.html

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 8:26 AM
Cool info. I'll probably just end up picking up some slugs to have loaded up and get some more buck for the side saddle. Thanks for the info guys!

Doheny
04-26-2010, 8:41 AM
Cool info. I'll probably just end up picking up some slugs to have loaded up and get some more buck for the side saddle. Thanks for the info guys!

A lot of threads about this. It seems that most people say one of those hairspray size cans of bear spray is the best bet. Someone last week had some stats showing more people who engage a bear w/ a gun get hurt than do when using spray. If more than one person at the camp, probably good to have a plan; one person sprays, the other is ready to go to guns if needed.

ChrisO
04-26-2010, 9:06 AM
Most everyone in camp has a gun... I wont waste my money on bear spray unless I'm somewhere where I cant have a gun and if I cant have a gun I probably wouldn't be there. Pepper spray gets in the air if it's a little windy at night I don't want to get myself or someone else.

Abesnake
04-26-2010, 11:34 PM
If your hunting use your shotgun or rifle loaded anyway you want. For protection in camp it's better to have a 44magnum pistol, or a 45 XD Semi on your hip. You'll never get to a rifle or a shotgun in time if a bear charges you. It's simple logic. If a bear charges you...he knows he's got you. He just doesn't know what's on your hip.

duckman1
04-27-2010, 5:57 AM
You should be fine with 2 3/4" slugs for bear protection. I would choose it over the buck shot as it is more likely to be terminal at better range than the buck. My cousin, a retired Alaska F&G Bioligist, carried a 12ga with slugs for "brownie" protection and IMHO they are much larger and tougher than any black we'll run into. If you are wondering he used it to stop a couple of charges, he is now a PH in Namibia.

Crazyhorse
04-27-2010, 7:59 AM
Wondering if this isn't a situation you take advantage of using multiple rounds?

Call it like light shot, light shot, 00 buck, 00 buck, slug, slug, slug

Figure human or bear that gives you a warning shot of light shot. If that doesn't work you have shot of light shot to let them know you mean biz. If that doesn't work and you get charged you have two shots were you don't have to aim as precise to hit a moving target at range. Last shots would be close range slug to the head or chest.

In a perfect situation I guess lol. If you walk out of your tent and the bear is growling 5 feet away you need to cycle at least two shells quickly. Maybe just a few buck and the rest slugs? I know when your heart is pounding and your trying to hit a moving target I would rather have the buck but when it's close.

CH

Edit: I was curious about the buck vs slug thing at short range. The info I can find says that buck won't do anything to a bear that would prevent if form shredding you.... If your lucky 10 minutes after your mauled to death he'll die from blood loss... I say forget the light shot go one buck and the rest slugs.

Crazyhorse
04-27-2010, 8:09 AM
OHH this might be a reason I need the 887 nitro mag tac! That would be just about perfect for this.

CH

Call_me_Tom
04-27-2010, 8:28 AM
Go slug if you want to live and the bear dead.

mif_slim
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I've used rifled slugs, the chep-o ones at walmart and have bagged a bear with every shot fired with them. YOu dont need any fancy ninja slugs with rails on it and a lazer shooting from the inside of the slug as its shot out...just a plain ol' slug will do. :)

Their lethal on bears, trust me when I say that. My cusin shot on in the gut and things flew out the otherside.

ChrisO
04-27-2010, 3:43 PM
I'm not really looking for any fancy slugs just some plain slugs. My shotgun is pretty simple 18" 7 shot remington 870 with hogue 12 LOP stock,sling,bead on pedistol sight,with mesa side saddle. It handles quick. I always do have my glock 17 on hip while in the woods but thats more so for protection against other things but when in camp my shotgun is either in my hands or within hands reach. I hope I'm never in a situation to where I have to pull my pistol and stick it in a bears eye socket or ear because once your at that point well things are not looking to good for you.

pieeater
04-27-2010, 5:04 PM
I took a 870 with buckshot once on a pig depradation hunt to clean up some of the crips.I was not impressed at all and would never do that again. Seemed to really hurt them but not stop them at all unless you pumped a couple in there. And these were cripples so it was all pretty close shooting.Id definately not want to use buckshot on a bear.

180ls1
04-27-2010, 5:16 PM
Run the slugs, with buckshot i would not feel comfortable shooting the bear knowing that i might not kill/stop it with a well placed shot.

Bottom line is that the slug will penetrate the most and leave a big hole, if you have a bear with a lot of fat buckshot might not even make it through the skin and fat layers.

ChrisO
04-27-2010, 6:15 PM
I took a 870 with buckshot once on a pig depradation hunt to clean up some of the crips.I was not impressed at all and would never do that again. Seemed to really hurt them but not stop them at all unless you pumped a couple in there. And these were cripples so it was all pretty close shooting.Id definately not want to use buckshot on a bear.

Good to know pieeater!

lewdogg21
04-27-2010, 6:26 PM
Am I alone in thinking we have transposed the reputation of Grizzly bears onto Black bears? Granted if a Blackie charges you it's going to try to eat you since they don't bluff but I see more bears deer hunting every year and have never had a problem.

Granted a camp raiding bear is not one of my worries. I did bump a bear in the dark at 15' or so a few years ago deer hunting. He ran away faster than I could :)

Argonaut
04-27-2010, 6:37 PM
Am I alone in thinking we have transposed the reputation of Grizzly bears onto Black bears? Granted if a Blackie charges you it's going to try to eat you since they don't bluff but I see more bears deer hunting every year and have never had a problem.

Granted a camp raiding bear is not one of my worries. I did bump a bear in the dark at 15' or so a few years ago deer hunting. He ran away faster than I could :)

I am with you......My grandmother used to chase them out of the trash cans outside the kitchen of the Church camp with a broom. There are lots of family stories about picking huckleberries on the opposite side of the bush from a bear...........Way too many amateur city guys here.

pieeater
04-27-2010, 6:53 PM
lol I was listening to a couple cowboys talk about how they were sleeping in the beds of their trucks. And a bear kept nosing over the side trying to get to dog food that was in one of them. It kept waking the one guy up and he'd yell at it and it would run off and come back. Finaly the guy got pissed and chased it away by yelling and throwing stuff at it. It was just funny cause i know so many people that are freaked out by bears. yet this guy has one 3 feet from his face and he yells at it and gos back to sleep a couple times. lol

ChrisO
04-27-2010, 7:00 PM
I'm not freaked out by bears nor am I a city boy. I grew up on property in calaveras county hunting and fishing my whole life and have seen more bears than I can count and like I said I know the probability is low but theres nothing wrong with having slugs handy in a 12 guage. It's funny that the guy saying there are way to many city guys here lives in the east bay area :rolleyes: . I'm not going to shoot a bear I see around the camp it's more so just to make everyone else who camps with us feel a bit more comfortable. The chances of people getting attacked or robbed are pretty low and people still CCW so I don't see the big deal of having a last ditch effort handy.

pieeater
04-27-2010, 7:14 PM
Nothing wrong with having a shotty in camp i usualy keep one around too. Its when you have that a sidearm and bug that it gets ridiculous. lol

I'm not freaked out by bears nor am I a city boy. I grew up on property in calaveras county hunting and fishing my whole life and have seen more bears than I can count and like I said I know the probability is low but theres nothing wrong with having slugs handy in a 12 guage. It's funny that the guy saying there are way to many city guys here lives in the east bay area :rolleyes: . I'm not going to shoot a bear I see around the camp it's more so just to make everyone else who camps with us feel a bit more comfortable. The chances of people getting attacked or robbed are pretty low and people still CCW so I don't see the big deal of having a last ditch effort handy.

jawbreaker
04-27-2010, 8:08 PM
Just make sure you're not the slowest one in camp and don't even worry about a gun just keep your sneakers on.

lewdogg21
05-01-2010, 6:31 AM
Nothing wrong with having a shotty in camp i usualy keep one around too. Its when you have that a sidearm and bug that it gets ridiculous. lol

Dont forget arms in the outhouse. According to horror movies your 18x more likely to be dismembered and killed while in the outhouse. At night it's 3333x more likely. :p

At Elk camp if I have to go at night I just pee right around the corner of the entrance to the tent and hold #2. Yeah I'm a puss in the dark. lol.

pieeater
05-01-2010, 7:03 AM
At Elk camp if I have to go at night I just pee right around the corner of the entrance to the tent and hold #2. Yeah I'm a puss in the dark. lol.

In Botswana the lions would come up to our tent at night and sniff around. Talk about not wanting to go outside at night. lol

50 Freak
05-01-2010, 7:42 AM
I remember seeing something where the pellets in a 00 Buck round would penetrate 3-4 inches in Ballistic Geletin.

8-9 pellets penetration in a human = effective stopper
8-9 pellets penetration in a bear = one pissed off bear

Use only slugs if you plan to put down a bear

VaderSpade
05-02-2010, 6:09 PM
I grew up in the beekeeping business. I killed more bears (depredation permits) than any guide I’ve ever known. Every beekeeper I knew (from three counties) would call me to do their dirty work. They knew I loved hunting, and I was young ready to go. I’ve shot bears with almost every big caliber rifle known to man, and I’ve never dropped one in its tracks. Their heartbeat is slow, and they always have a few to a few hundred yards in them.
That is until I was gold mining WAY back in the woods, back in 78. I kept an old double barrel 12 gauge in camp 2 ¾” shells loaded with 00 buck. We had a fence around camp with tin cans hanging on it, as warning bells, this was bear country.
I was napping in my cot one day when I heard my dog munching on dog food INSIDE the fence. I listened for a few moments before I remembered I didn’t bring my dog this trip. I slowly rolled over grabbed the shotgun turned to see the biggest bear I’ve ever seen just a few feet away. I remember everything was s-l-o-w motion as I talked myself through the next few seconds. Back trigger, full choke, careful aim, I said in my head, then BANG and the big guy dropped in his tracks, and never even twitched.
Yes a shotgun with 00 buck will do the trick!!! Even 2 ¾” shells with just 9, 00 pellets.
Now I had to get rid of this monster. I was alone, in the middle of summer, and my ride would not be back for a week. The best I could do was to roll him down hill a few yards. A big boar smells bad enough alive, after a week in the sun up wind, and I was wishing I had just wrestled him out of our enclosure.

theseacow
05-02-2010, 6:19 PM
you've shot a million bears and never spined or brained one? got any good bear kill pics to share?

minerym
05-02-2010, 6:37 PM
Haven't you ever seen "The Great Outdoors" ?

VaderSpade
05-02-2010, 8:21 PM
you've shot a million bears and never spined or brained one? got any good bear kill pics to share?

Not a million, just 64 at that point (32 years ago, I was young), and the buck shot bear was the first I dropped in his tracks. I always went for the heart shot we wanted the bears DEAD, no heroic head shots. We waited until the bears knocked over a beehive and were busy doing their damage. The shots were the easy part, the waiting was hard, sometimes they wouldn’t come in for days.
I have since rolled a couple of running bears with a spine shot (they still went a ways even if not under their own power), and dropped a few wounded bears with head shots (they went a ways before we caught up). But the point of the story was that buckshot WILL drop them!

VaderSpade
05-02-2010, 8:28 PM
Haven't you ever seen "The Great Outdoors" ?

No, we only get ABC and PBS up here :) don't watch much TV.

VaderSpade
05-02-2010, 8:40 PM
got any good bear kill pics to share?

Dad with a bear in the 70's (note the mailbox in the background is a beehive).
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0058.jpg

VaderSpade
05-02-2010, 8:47 PM
Me sizing up a couple. There were 6 before I started walking toward them.
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0077.jpg

VaderSpade
05-02-2010, 8:54 PM
One from the 80's.
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/bear1.jpg

theseacow
05-02-2010, 9:23 PM
man thats great. sweet pics!

a1c
05-03-2010, 8:26 AM
A few years ago a friend of mine was camping in Yosemite (I think in Curry Camp) and a bear showed up in the early morning. My buddy - who was getting married that day - had probably been drinking way too much the night before, and probably forgot to secure the food away. Dumbass.

Anyway, young adult bear shows up around the tent and starts eating some leftover food. My buddy, still hungover, gets out of the tent and starts going "shoo" at the bear from behind the table, like he's a ****ing dog. No gun, no stick, just a pissed off drunk yelling at the big critter.

The bear eventually walked away. My buddy's friends were watching from 200 feet away, terrified, calling him. Both ballsy and stupid on his part.

Anyway, I agree - the black bear's reputation has been rather inflated. Not saying they don't represent any danger, but unless you're threatening some cubs in front of their mother, they usually will not want to hang around. Just hide your food in trees away from camp.

If you are concerned about bears and have room for a shotgun, then you probably have room for a .44 mag revolver or a lever action rifle.

lewdogg21
05-03-2010, 6:23 PM
Vader = Bear pro

Nice pics man.

Doheny
05-03-2010, 6:24 PM
Dude, are those tactical pajama pants you're wearing?

;)

One from the 80's.
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/bear1.jpg

lewdogg21
05-03-2010, 6:55 PM
No, but those are "tacti-cool" slippers he's got on. ;P

theseacow
05-03-2010, 9:01 PM
got any more good bear pics vader? thats pretty cool to have a bear master on this forum. you should change your name to professionalbearhunter.

ChrisO
05-03-2010, 9:12 PM
I have a 44mag lever gun but the shotgun is right around the same size so I don't see much of a advantage 11 rounds of 44 mag or 7 of slugs. I know how to camp and I know it's not much of a real threat I just like to have the insurance in case. Better have it and not need it... well you all know the rest. I have a couple pics somewhere from the bears we have killed over the years. I'll try n scan em (it was before I got wise and got my lady a digital camera that I occasionally steal during hunting season...) haha.

Doheny
05-03-2010, 9:18 PM
Most everyone in camp has a gun... I wont waste my money on bear spray unless I'm somewhere where I cant have a gun and if I cant have a gun I probably wouldn't be there. Pepper spray gets in the air if it's a little windy at night I don't want to get myself or someone else.

FWIW, here's the post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4110521&postcount=7) I was referring to. It came from this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4110521#post4110521).

VaderSpade
05-04-2010, 8:05 AM
got any more good bear pics vader? thats pretty cool to have a bear master on this forum. you should change your name to professionalbearhunter.

Here's a few more;

http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0106.jpg
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0111.jpg
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0108.jpg
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0109.jpg

VaderSpade
05-04-2010, 8:06 AM
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0110.jpg
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0112.jpg
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0107.jpg

theseacow
05-04-2010, 8:57 AM
fantastic pics. those are cool

Doheny
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
/\/\ Wow, that's awesome! :thumbsup:

mif_slim
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's a few more;

http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Scan0111.jpg

DANG!! Now you can really say "It hit like a ton of brick!" look how flat it is!?! LOL. jk.

Sweet pictures!