PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110e question

dlkk
04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I bought a Savage 110e in .223 back in the late 80's and I almost forgot I had it.
My question is: The gun is in .223, why did Savage make this in a Long Action Receiver?

Because of the LA it doesn't eject the shells very well, most of the time if I remember correctly, the empty shells stay in the receiver.

I hear that Savages are somewhat easy to re barrel, what are my options as far as caliber with the current bolt.

The barrel touches the right side of the stock all the way down. Any suggestions on free floating it. Sandpaper, Dremel, both?

Thanks

ar15barrels
04-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I bought a Savage 110e in .223 back in the late 80's and I almost forgot I had it.
My question is: The gun is in .223, why did Savage make this in a Long Action Receiver?

They only made one length of reciever at the time.
Short actions are a relatively new thing for Savage.

Tikka T3's are all long actions as well and those are being made that way right now!

Fjold
04-26-2010, 6:07 AM
Comments

Because of the LA it doesn't eject the shells very well, most of the time if I remember correctly, the empty shells stay in the receiver.
Replace the extractor the brass colored ones wear out.
I hear that Savages are somewhat easy to re barrel, what are my options as far as caliber with the current bolt.
204 Ruger, 17 Rem, 222, 222 magnum, etc but you can change the bolt head out for about $50 and shoot 90% of the available short action cartridges. The 110 in the J action (4.55" action screw spacing) had a smaller feeding and ejection ports machined in them so they wouldn't feed or extract a loaded long action cartridge.

The barrel touches the right side of the stock all the way down. Any suggestions on free floating it. Sandpaper, Dremel, both?
Yes, reliave it with a a dremel or sand paper. Wrap the sandpaper around an appropriate sized deep well socket. I had one do the same thing and it kept warping so much I had to get an aftermarket stock
Thanks

Army
04-26-2010, 7:44 AM
www.sharpshootersupply.com (http://www.sharpshootersupply.com) will answer any and all your Savage questions.

Fred and Lisa are great people.

Dirtbiker
04-26-2010, 9:14 AM
I have the exact same model Savage 110e in .223. My grandfather bought it for me around 1990 or so.