PDA

View Full Version : Good Price For Used Sig P226

Joe22
04-26-2010, 12:22 AM
So turned 21 last week and been looking at handguns to purchase.. Pretty sure decided on a Sig P226.. I'm not really new to handguns cuz I've done some training and also have my exposed firearms permit to work as a armed guard if I decide to.. But this will be my first handgun I've bought and owned... I was at River City the other week and remember the new 226 was $880 but can't remember how much they were selling the used one which was in 9mm and I need .40 anyways...

What you guys think is a good price for a good condition used P226?

AlliedArmory
04-26-2010, 12:29 AM
$500-600 tops.

If you shop around enough you can find a new one in the $750 range.

goathead
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
^^^ i was thinking the same

ChrisTKHarris
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
You can buy them new from Cordova Shooting Center for $750. Give my buddy Rob at Golden State Tactical a call, he might be able to beat that price.

Joe22
04-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Humm Golden State Tactical huh.. Been meaning to go check them out too...

nemisis1400
04-26-2010, 1:02 AM
I got mine used, but it's a west german p226 with crimson trace grips for $800. But really I think I got a really good deal.

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 1:10 AM
the used ones at River City Gun Exchange are $449. they are LE trade-in guns from Modesto PD and are a great value...mostly holster wear.

why do you need a .40?

evidens83
04-26-2010, 7:59 AM
$500-600 tops.

If you shop around enough you can find a new one in the $750 range.

Thats what I've seen em going for as well.

Joe22
04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
the used ones at River City Gun Room are $449. they are LE trade-in guns from Modesto PD and are a great value...mostly holster wear.

why do you need a .40?

Qualified in .40 on my exposed firearms permit...

Dang 449 huh... Gonna have to check those out.. Don't want one too used tho..

wu_dot_com
04-26-2010, 11:23 AM
before you buy it, its good to know what are the replaceable parts and none replaceable parts.

for me, all the springs are replaceable. the inner and outer slide pens (for the 9mm folded slides) are also replaceable. the sear, hammer, triggers are replaceable parts, but ware and tear are usually minimal. the trigger bar is a tricky issue, since the older style spring will grind against the trigger bar surface. though its only a cosmetic ware, rust may develop over time.

since you are getting a .40, you will not be looking at a folded slide version of the 226.

when you pick up your gun, first check if the slide have excessive play from side to side. a new 226 should not have any play in the front of the gun, while it can have less than half a millimeter of play on the back. then you need to take the slide off and inspect the ware and cracks on the barrel, the bushing and the corner where the side wall meets the breech block. drop the barrel in to the slide w/o the spring and try to move the barrel back and forth to make sure the barrel will lock with the slide. after that, i will inspect the rail of the frame for excessive ware. then i will open up the grips to inspect the hole where the trigger bar spring sits (its a little hole right behind the mag release plate). that hole should be small, since the spring will most likely enlarge the hole with use.

as far as holster ware, i wont worry about it too much. but if you want to refinish it, Sig, customizedcreationz, CCR, usually does a pretty good job.

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Dang 449 huh... Gonna have to check those out.. Don't want one too used tho..
i have a friend who got 2 out of that batch or trade-ins...the first one he got for $379 at another store...because he wanted to save wear and tear on his new Blackwater while he was i his learning phase. one was a bit better shooter than his BW, the other was a much better shooter...i wish i had picked up one at the same time.

posted by wu dot com
a new 226 should not have any play in the front of the gun, while it can have less than half a millimeter of play on the back. then you need to take the slide off and inspect the ware and cracks on the barrel, the bushing and the corner where the side wall meets the breech block.
while no frame to slide play would be ideal, many NIB 226s do have quite a bit of play

a couple of questions
1. can you expand on the nature of cracks you've seen on the barrels of Sigs
2. which 226 have you seen that has a bushing
3. are you referring to the side of the slide meeting the breech face...none of the .40 Sigs have a separate breech block

BoomerX01
04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
This is from Flock posting at SigForum - by the way, I went with a new one instead of the used ones I had available to me in San Diego county.

I've had a handful of recent emails asking how to tell if a used Sig is still in good shape or not, after writing the same email over and over for the last 4 1/2 years I figured it was time to post my thoughts on what to look at when you're gonna purchase a used Sig.

The first thing to look at is the Frame rails. These will tell you everything that you need to know about how well the gun has been taken care of. The Following is how the colors of the under side of the frame rails will change as your gun wears.

1) Dull Black - No Wear, perfect finish.
2) Shiny Black - Slight wearing in of the pigment in the Anodizing, this is normal after around 200 rounds
3) Dark Gold/Orange - The Pigment in the Anodizing is starting to wear, this is perfectly normal and not a problem, the metal is still protected and your frame is still perfectly viable. Most guns reach this phase between 2000 and 4000 rounds.
4) Bright Gold - The pigment in the anodizing is wearing in. Your frame is still protected and your gun is still perfectly viable. Most guns reach this phase and remain static from here on out as long as proper lubrication is used.
5)Light Gold - The pigment in your anodizing is wearing through, your frame is still protected, but you should keep an eye on it.
6) Shiny Silver - This is where you need to start to worry. The pigment in the Anodizing is worn through, your frame is still protected, but you need to monitor your frame rails very closely and make sure they remain greased thoroughly for the rest of your gun's life.
7) Dull Silver - You're screwed. Your Anodizing has worn completely through in the areas you see dull anodizing. From here on your frame is unprotected and it's time to buy a new gun. It may still shoot and function perfectly, but your frame rails will continue to wear at a much accelerated rate.

The next thing to look at is the disconnector tab on your trigger bar. That's the part of the trigger bar that sits up highest in the frame. A factory new trigger bar will have a nice radius across the top, a heavily used one will have a flat worn into it. The best way to check and make sure it's still functioning correctly is to pull the slide back by 1/4 of an inch and pull the trigger, if the hammer doesn't try to fall you're ok.

The Next place to look at is the barrel. You will notice the "smileys" on the barrel on the muzzle end. If you run your finger down the barrel and feel a dip, you may want to have the gun looked at by a professional, the slide should not be abrading the barrel enough to remove any metal at all. The presence of a dip in the metal would indicate that your slide has a burr in it.

If you look at the front of the chamber section at the top of the barrel you will see a ledge that steps down just before the tube part of the barrel starts. The ledge there should be at a clear 90 degree angle, any rolling of that sharp corner would indicate a soft barrel or one which hasn't been lubricated properly.

The slide should also be inspected. The slide lock lever detent on the slide should be looked at for burrs or any rounding on the rear or the notch. A burr sticking out can abrade your thumbs if you shoot a thumbs forward grip. A burr on the slide could indicate a slightly soft slide or that the previous shooter kept their thumb on the slide lock lever. A rounded off notch at the back would indicate an improper heat treat of the slide.

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
This is from Flock posting at SigForum
his screen name is Flork and he is now working at Apex Tactical in Morro Bay

konata88
04-26-2010, 6:17 PM
I have new and used P226s. The benefit of new is that you are covered by warranty. But if you know what to look for in a used gun (a friend was of great help in pointing out tips in checking the trigger pull), they can be great deals. I have no real concerns buying a used P226. I think I've found 3 different major types of Sig P226 trigger pulls.

That being said: if you are looking for a new (or used) Sig, you may want to consider checking the classifieds on SigForum. There are several reputable, stand-up dealers (even factory authorized) for new (or used or CPO) that specialize in online sales of Sigs and offer lower than MAP pricing.

Havoc70
04-26-2010, 6:30 PM
I picked up my P226 .40 for 751 at buds gun shop (www.budsgunshop.com), but after DROS and transfer fees, it still ended up being $900.

Scratch705
04-26-2010, 7:11 PM
wish p226 prices were that low around here........... damn

anothergunnut
04-26-2010, 8:18 PM
the used ones at River City Gun Room are $449. they are LE trade-in guns from Modesto PD

I can't help but do a thread hijack. When the Modesto PD transitioned from 38 revolvers, they sold them to the officers and created "gungate" when they started selling guns out of the evidence room. The chief swore that they would never sell guns again but, apparently, since he is gone they are back in the trade-in business. As a taxpayer, trade-ins are a good way of underwriting the cost of their new Glocks and provides a source of good used guns.

Joe22
04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice! Go to work and come back.. Alot of good Info!! Thanks Guys

ChrisTKHarris
04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
the used ones at River City Gun Room are $449. they are LE trade-in guns from Modesto PD and are a great value...mostly holster wear.

why do you need a .40?

River City Gun Exchange?

OR

The Gun Room?

bigwhitetruck
04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
River City Gun Exchange?

OR

The Gun Room?

River City Gun Exchange. I know because a friend of mine is thinking about picking one up.

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
River City Gun Exchange?

OR

The Gun Room?

oops, my bad Gun Exchange...i'll go back and fix it

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
The chief swore that they would never sell guns again but, apparently, since he is gone they are back in the trade-in business. As a taxpayer, trade-ins are a good way of underwriting the cost of their new Glocks and provides a source of good used guns.
the usual process is that Glock takes the guns in trade on the replacement guns and then sells them to a wholesaler/distributor. so technically the department isn't selling the guns...Glock is

Cyc Wid It
04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I found a nice one over at SigForum classifieds (even though they still won't approve my registration), and the transaction went smoothly. The guy was an out of state LEO and apparently takes great care of his guns. It's still in 10 day jail but I can't wait to shoot it and compare a Gray Guns tuned gun to a range rental.

9mmepiphany
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
The guy was an out of state LEO
until i read that, i thought you bought the GrayGuns tuned 226 being sold by Kevin over in Contra Costa

Cyc Wid It
04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
No, although I do remember seeing his ad here as well as maybe LTW? If I remember correctly his was NIB -> Grayguns. The one I picked up is from '03 with around 1500 rounds downrange.

Joe22
04-28-2010, 8:11 PM
Been looking at few shops.. River City has the old style no rail for $449 9mm and 599 .40 Then another shop has a good condition just bit of wear on barrel finish, with rail, night sights, one mag, for 639... Then the guys here on classifieds they want like 800-850.. Donno what to do... Hummm

Joe22
04-30-2010, 9:14 AM
Still donno what to do lol... Ready to buy though.. Get the 10 day wait over with...

raymartrading
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I just sold my Sig P226. Externally it was beat up; internally it was just dirty from lack of cleaning. The court bailiff I purchased it from never shot it. He said he carried it for 7 years.

I had to sell it, and now I cry myself to sleep every night. Screw getting a new Sig. Once you shoot it is used. Get over it. Check out gunbroker.com, sigforum.com, topgun supply, and the NRA's auction site. If you want a good compromise, get a Sig CPO in the red box. You will save a little money and you have a warranty I believe. Also try a great fellow calgunner yzernie http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=257865 I purchased a CPO Sig P220 from him that looked liked it just left the factory.

I will go out on a limb and say that depending on who you are buying from, most people don't shoot enough to even break-in their pistols! Its like a brand new car that you just drove off the dealer's lot--you already lost 20%. Especially with this economy, there are good deals jumping out of the water everyday! I bet you don't even have to wait a week to see the pistol of your dreams. (Sorry-I am projecting. I am talking about myself! :willy_nilly:)

Finally, go 9mm it is easier obtain and cheaper than .40. Cheaper rounds means more practice, more practice means more proficiency.

Good Luck, Remember-Sigs-To hell and back, and I don't mean visiting your mother-in-law.

PS: Don't forget about the Sig P228, P225 or P6 for a backup or CCW.

tbhracing
04-30-2010, 11:02 AM
the used ones at River City Gun Exchange are $449. they are LE trade-in guns from Modesto PD and are a great value...mostly holster wear.

Good call, I bought one and it shoots like new.