PDA

View Full Version : IWB Holsters and Designer Jeans

ChrisTKHarris
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Maybe it's just me but for you guys that CCW what type of jeans are you wearing when using IWB holsters? Perhaps it's because I'm in my 20's, but I wear designer jeans that are pretty fitted and don't allow much room in the waist.

So when you all talk about wearing IWB holsters do you compensate and wear looser fitting jeans to allow more room for the holster?

9mmepiphany
04-25-2010, 11:59 PM
for tight jeans or in a suit, you're going to have to go with a OWB holster

Turo
04-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Maybe it's just me but for you guys that CCW what type of jeans are you wearing when using IWB holsters? Perhaps it's because I'm in my 20's, but I wear designer jeans that are pretty fitted and don't allow much room in the waist.

So when you all talk about wearing IWB holsters do you compensate and wear looser fitting jeans to allow more room for the holster?

We just wear them loose enough so that people can't tell which side of the road you're parked on... if you catch my drift.

stormvet
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Depends on your weapon, I IWB a 1911. I wear loose fitting pants normally but with a 1911 you could wear spandex and get away with it.

Black Majik
04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I had to buy new jeans to accomodate IWB holsters, one size up in the waist did it for me. Though, you'll have to wear looser fitting shirts as well so you don't print.

Fjold
04-26-2010, 3:36 PM
All my pants (jeans, suits, shorts, Dockers, etc.) are one size larger to accomodate my IWB holsters

QuarterBoreGunner
04-26-2010, 3:43 PM
For jeans I go one size larger for comfort; 5.11s, khakis, etc usually have enough stretch to accommodate IWB (for me at least) without having to get a different size.

If you're rockin' low rise jeans, it's a little more difficult as the firearm obviously rides lower below the waistline and isn't supported by the hip bone like it is supposed to. I tried this out with a pair or Martin & Osa boot cut low rise and it felt like my Glock 30 was going to fall out no matter how tight my belt was. I gave up on it and stick to Levis for jeans now.

djleisure
04-26-2010, 3:50 PM
You could always just keep it in a nice man-purse, like this!

http://www.kickette.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/blogger/4272/90/1600/crlv.jpg

Just kidding - couldn't resist! :D

teflondog
04-26-2010, 3:53 PM
Instead of buying new jeans, you could invest in the P90x dvd series. After 4-6 weeks you'll be able to carry IWB. :P

Mad Scotsman
04-26-2010, 4:00 PM
I have loose jeans and am fairly skinny and I look way disproportionate with IWB even with a large shirt. I have to carry at 5 o'clock and still think I'll get busted for shoplifting. I need to find a high riding IWB for my 1911. Or just get the man purse. NOT:D

KillZone45
04-26-2010, 4:04 PM
Oh man I guess I will probably be having this problem come end of the year. With a CCW I can carry openly correct or do I have to hide it?

djleisure
04-26-2010, 4:34 PM
Oh man I guess I will probably be having this problem come end of the year. With a CCW I can carry openly correct or do I have to hide it?
I'm about 98% sure that you actually can NOT openly carry (loaded) with a CCW in this state. It MUST be concealed and even "printing" can get you in trouble if you are not careful... but I don't have a CCW in this state, so someone will be along shortly with the legit info.

Omil
04-26-2010, 5:13 PM

>There you go, you just answer your own question!:D

Omil
04-26-2010, 5:18 PM
We just wear them loose enough so that people can't tell which side of the road you're parked on... if you catch my drift.

>+1!:rofl2:

Turo
04-26-2010, 5:26 PM
>+1!:rofl2:

:D I was waiting for someone to get it!

xLusi0n
04-26-2010, 5:43 PM
https://www.tryperfectfitbutton.com/

bsg
04-26-2010, 5:57 PM
you could just wear your jeans tight and tell folks you've got a colostomy bag on board....

-Brady

ChrisTKHarris
04-26-2010, 7:07 PM
you could just wear your jeans tight and tell folks you've got a colostomy bag on board....

-Brady

:rofl: Then I have to come up with some huge elaborate story behind the bag. lol

boredin818
04-26-2010, 7:41 PM
How about the smart carry holster.... sits right on top of the shnuts.

till44
04-26-2010, 7:52 PM
I say if your jeans match your girlfriend's it is time to get new jeans :D... I can't stand tight fitting pants so I usually wear a size bigger to accomodate an IWB holster.

bsg
04-26-2010, 8:44 PM
look, here's the answer to your dilemma Chris; keep those pants tight and CCw the seecamp.... if anyone notices you tell them you're just happy to see em....

-Brady

POLICESTATE
04-26-2010, 8:48 PM
Don't understand why any guy would want to wear tight fitting jeans anyway, they are very uncomfortable. Maybe I've got more to be uncomfortable about than the average Joe. :rolleyes:

Rigma
04-26-2010, 9:45 PM
Aside from only accommodating a small gun, why not go ankle holster and not worry so much?

Serious question. I can see how it is much more difficult to get to, but seems like you could even forget about the G26 strapped to your leg.

Might solve the sissy jeans problem...

Personally I can't wear those tight fitting designer jeans. I have "fullback" legs that don't fit the skinny thighs, and they tend to get all tight and uncomfortable in the grundle area...

POLICESTATE
04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Levis 517's for the win!

ChrisTKHarris
04-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Levis 517's for the win!

I prefer Rocks, Diesel, G Star, Citizens and Sevens. :)

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
but seems like you could even forget about the G26 strapped to your leg.
i couldn't even get used to a alloy S&W M642 on my ankle, i can't even imagine how uncomfortable a G26 would be

Massappeal
04-26-2010, 10:52 PM
GStar FTW! Leave seven jeans for the girls :cool:

Cyc Wid It
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
selvage denim...

now if only my gun collection matched my jean collection, no CCW though

bsg
04-27-2010, 5:01 AM
chris you've been a good sport.... just try some jeans that are a size larger in the waist than you normally wear. if it's a wide gun you will carry it may need to be 2 sizes larger in the waist. a good quality, proper fitting holster can also dictate the pace. as far as a belt goes, check out "the belt man" on internet and same principle applies as with the pants; i usually wear size 33 or 34 waist and for IWB belt i get the "beltman" size 37 belt. every belt manufacturer has their own way of sizing so pay attention to their instructions before buying....

-Brady

ChrisTKHarris
04-27-2010, 6:36 AM
Thanks guys, I was just curious how you all remedied this situation and it seems like just going a size bigger is as simple as that.

I currently don't have a CCW, but I look forward to perhaps getting one in the future if I end up a Federal LEO or end up moving out of state.

Tanner68
04-27-2010, 6:40 AM
I prefer Rocks, Diesel, G Star, Citizens and Sevens. :)

Fitted jeans with a lower rise are going to complicate CCWing, especially IWB.... no way around it. All the brands you mentioned are "fashion" jeans and are not the best choices. And do you really want to start spending the dough and buy other jeans of those brands with waistbands that are one or two inches bigger, but then don't look as well fitted as intended? If you are going to CCW, you'll need a jean with more of a working heritage, with a higher rise (both front and back rise) and a more generous cut.

And like someone else mentioned, leave the girl brands to the girls. At least drop the Sevens and the "Rocks" from the lineup.

civilsnake
04-27-2010, 8:35 AM
I think a lot of you guys are confusing what is currently considered "fitted" with 1970s style tight pants. I don't think he's talking about the skinny pants emo kids are wearing, just jeans that are not especially loose in the seat. Personally I find that a lot more comfortable than swimming in my pants. I don't really like the skirt feel.

That being said, a lot of your solution will revolve around what you're wearing up top. A loose button down shirt will help a lot and potentially allow an OWB highride holster. I like to wear appropriately sized tshirts, so I don't really have much in the way of carry options. Of course I also live in LA County, so it doesn't really matter.

djleisure
04-27-2010, 9:20 AM
Here's another possible solution - embrace the 80's style! Tres chic! :D

http://www.covertcandy.co.uk/covertblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/don_johnson_miami_vice0.jpg

thebrassnuckles
04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Levis 517's for the win!

i love my 517's i probably have 10 pairs, but... i'll be damned if i could fit a gun in there too. every pair i have is like skin tight, i i have sizes from 32-34x34.... all fit the same... wtf is up with their QC? maybe its cause i have a hugh jass....
i switched to 5.11 and LAPG cargo pants for the elastic waistband.. ;)

Oldnoob
04-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Where are the Pink Pistol guys, I bet they will have more value experience on this subject.

civilsnake
04-27-2010, 1:03 PM
Where are the Pink Pistol guys, I bet they will have more value experience on this subject.

MUST...RESIST...URGE...TO JOKES...

GearHead
04-27-2010, 4:30 PM
My $20 Target jeans do me great when I am out of state.

jonnyt16
04-27-2010, 4:47 PM
Have you considered Mexican Carry? I have one pair of "designer" jeans that are pretty damn snug and when I wear them (which isn't often at all) I just stuff my SIG P226 or CZ 75B in there and it actually works suprisingly well. I wouldn't recommend this method for extended time of use though, or if you're planning on running or hiking.

mswanson223
06-16-2010, 9:22 PM
I just cant fathime paying more the 20.00 for jeans .

ChrisTKHarris
06-16-2010, 9:33 PM
I just cant fathime paying more the 20.00 for jeans .

Personally I like jeans that are around $150, but I don't have a problem with paying up to $250 if they have a nice fit and finish.

I have cheap jeans too, but if I'm going out to the bars or a lounge I prefer nice jeans. :)

duc748bip
06-16-2010, 9:46 PM
CCW and fashion? Buy a size larger and take it to tailor.

Uhhlexxxis
06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
meh, carry a different gun...

Summer time I carry a smaller pistol, Sig P238.. IWB or pocket holster.

Winter time I carry a semi-larger pistol, Kimber Ultra Carry II.. IWB only.. less to notice when you have more clothes on.

rojocorsa
06-17-2010, 1:18 AM
How about a belly band holster? Just want to throw it out there.

I rock Levis 505 for ever. If I exercised more, I could probably IWB in all my pairs by the time I become old enough to legally carry.

I personally have always been fond of the OWB hidden by a long sleeve or some kind of jacket.

bigbob76
06-17-2010, 4:33 AM
Personally I like jeans that are around $150, but I don't have a problem with paying up to $250 if they have a nice fit and finish.

I have cheap jeans too, but if I'm going out to the bars or a lounge I prefer nice jeans. :)

That does it. I'm an official lame old guy. I had no clue you could spend that much money on jeans. My approach has been 2" larger waist size for IWB or 2" longer for ankle carry. For ankle carry a tight fitting high quality holster doesn't beat you to death with every step and eventually you forget it's there. A lightweight pistol is necessary though and for me it rules out anything where the ammo in it weighs as much as the weapon.:)

TERRYGER
06-17-2010, 5:51 AM
I prefer Rocks, Diesel, G Star, Citizens and Sevens.

aren't sevens the ones fergie says the boys love her azz in when she is singing my humps? ;)

Flying Bones
06-17-2010, 6:52 AM
For fitted jeans, the best solution i've found is carry in front, pipe pointed at grundel. It's a little nerve racking at first, lol. I carry a 340PD and XD40SC in this manner, in the uncle mikes neoprene holster. I never carry anything with a full size frame this way. Bottom line, not comfortable, especially when sitting or driving. But i'm accustomed to the uncomfortable feel and ladies actually enjoy it.

Truth is a size bigger jean is not fitted anymore, and not what you want.