PDA

View Full Version : Situation that may prohibit issue

valkylrie
04-25-2010, 8:17 PM
While sharing my Utah CCW class experience with a close friend. We discussed that I would soon be applying for a California Riverside county CCW. I let him read over the packet I printed out from the RCSD website. He explained that even though he could own firearms he could never get a California CCW. Explaining that it was his discharge from the military with an OTH.

He explained it was not a dishonorable and I won’t go into details on a public forum. But I have seen people talk about getting a ccw with past DUI conviction and other arrest/convictions from long ago. His discharge was from 20 years ago, since then he has not so much as a speeding ticket. He has since graduated college with honors and has a great family with three kids.

Should this really be a disqualifying factor for him? I suggested he read the boards here, and maybe contact TBJ for more information. But I find it hard to believe that an offense from so far back says anything to his character today.

Does anyone have any specific experience I can pass on? Feel free to PM me.

If I have posted this in the wrong forum please feel free to move as necessary.

CSDGuy
04-25-2010, 8:41 PM
An OTH discharge, might be looked upon like getting convicted for 12025/12031. Not prohibiting for possession of firearms, but shows a lack of proper judgment. That, of course, assumes that the person is eligible to own firearms. He's probably going to show that he's been good since, and the cause of his OTH discharge was something not likely to ever occur again.

Then again, he may be SOL right now and have standing after incorporation.

That's my take on it, and I'm most definitely NOT a lawyer... Just trying to look at things through the eyes of someone who may issue CCW's...