PDA

View Full Version : Remington 22lr ammo

NewbieDave
04-25-2010, 7:45 PM
Got this stuff from Walmart today...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/Bandwidthhog/7a32d07f.jpg

Never seen it before, it's not the lead bullet junk that jams up my Ruger. It's jacketed and looks like a good deal for $18.

Anyone try it yet?

~dpc

jmzhwells
04-25-2010, 7:52 PM
Never had much luck with the rem 22lrs. They are usually really dirty. I guess they shoot ok, but so dirty ill wait for the fed.

guimus
04-25-2010, 8:15 PM
Just looks like the new packaging to the standard remington bulk-pak .22's to me. Not actually jacketed, but plated with a thin "copper" wash. I've had widely mixed results with them, but if you find a gun that likes them, the price can't really be beat right now.

testosteroneOD
04-25-2010, 8:21 PM
My P22 and Ruger MIII and 10/22 all feed Remington bulk packs without many issues. An occasional FTF but thats it.

Spyder
04-25-2010, 8:22 PM
I've got a few thousand of them sitting under my bed. :D They get shot up every weekend in a Savage, a 10/22 and a MkII. No issues at all!

ontmark
04-25-2010, 8:26 PM
I have had good luck with it in my Buck Mark.
No feed issue at all.
Pretty accurate

Sinixstar
04-25-2010, 8:26 PM
Just looks like the new packaging to the standard remington bulk-pak .22's to me. Not actually jacketed, but plated with a thin "copper" wash. I've had widely mixed results with them, but if you find a gun that likes them, the price can't really be beat right now.

Yea - the 'golden bullet' is just a cheap copper flake on the outside. Stick your hands in the box and run some rounds between your fingers - now look at your hands.Eck

I've found the quality of the Remington .22 has gone downhill considerably over the years. It used to be all I shot out of my .22s. Didn't shoot for some years, and when i got back into it - naturally went back to Remington. I seriously have at least one fail to fire out of every 10-20 rounds I try to fire. Good strikes, good solid dent on the primer, no bang. Sometimes i'll put 'em back in and turn 'em so the pin strikes elsewhere on the rim. Have about a 30% success rate on the retry. Some of the more expensive Remingtons are considerably better. i especailly like the Viper and the Hornet variations. Those are actually plated as well - so you might find those more to your liking if these don't work out. They're a little bit more expensive - normally $8 or so per 100.

Sinixstar
04-25-2010, 8:28 PM
I have had good luck with it in my Buck Mark.
No feed issue at all.
Pretty accurate

really?? my buckmark HATES 'em. They're consistent accuracy wise when they fire - but i have failures in damn near every mag I load with 'em. Same with my marlin 99...

RickD6023
04-25-2010, 9:13 PM
I've had about 10-13% failure-to-fire rate with this Remington in S&W model 41 (solid strikes every time). This is the stuff to use when shooting for fun and not for competition. BTW - several of us were shooting the same stuff, different lots, in different guns with the same results. Don't waste your money unless you're just out plinking.

caldude
04-25-2010, 9:34 PM
After I've had bad results with Remington bulk 22LR, I won't buy any more. As others have said, it's very dirty, and is the only 22LR ammo I've had that has had feeding issues in any of my guns.

goathead
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
i liked them in my moss 22lr they shot good for the price

p7m8jg
04-25-2010, 10:19 PM
If you can find it -- shoot it.

chad68
04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I hate Remington .22 ammo. I sold 9 bulk packs of it because it won't chamber in my target pistol and has way to many issues in my other .22's as well. Maybe if they tumbled their stuff, the casings wouldn't be so filthy.

I only buy Federal blue box bulk packs anymore. If I can't find any, I will either not shoot till I find more, or if I really want to shoot bad enough then Winchester bulk packs of 333's or 555's. The 333/555's are much cleaner than Rems but not as clean as Feds. The Federals look like they have Elves hand polish each round before they put it in the box. I'm not talking about powder residue, I mean just the casings are so clean.

Only way I would shoot rem is through a revolver.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Remington Golden Bullet works perfectly in my Advantage Arms .22 Glock conversion, also works well (better function and much cleaner) in my Ciener equipped dedicated .22LR AR. Doesn't work as well, or at all, in some of my other .22s - but rimfire rifles/pistols have long been known to work better with some brands/models of ammo than others. I don't blame the ammo if it doesn't work in a particular rimfire - I just go on looking for the ammo that does work.

If my local Walmart had any at $18, I'd buy it.

jdg30
04-26-2010, 8:43 AM
I think the Remington Golden bullets work but there are better .22lr bullets out there. My Ruger 22/45 prefers Federal bulk pack with just about 100% reliability. When I shoot Remingtons, I have a significant number of nose jams on the feed ramp and also quite a few failure-to-fires. The bullet is struck good by the firing pin but it doesn't go off. Sometimes I put them back in the gun and they will go off on the second or third try.

If Remington is the only one on the shelf I wouldn't hesitate to buy some. Even if you have 20-30 duds out of the box it's still worth buying them because you will have over 500 that do fire and they are a decent price. But between Remington bulk and Federal bulk, I would take Federal every time.

dodge
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
remingtons' golden bullet seems to have more duds than almost any other brand out there
more failure to fire when your pistol or rifle just goes; click
you can see the pin has struck rear of round & everything, just a dud

federal bulk packs are about the same price, for me @ least, & perform nearly as well as cci mini mags
which are double or more for price per round