PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper PST Series? Anybody know where they are made?

Solidsnake87
04-25-2010, 6:30 PM
Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon the PST FFP Viper scopes. They look like they offer all the features of many high end scopes at low cost. I can't find anything about where they are manufactured.........which raises concerns. I see they do all inspection and repair work in-house. It looks like some of their stuff is made in China..........I'm considering a pre-order for a PST but I'm not buying anything made in China. Anybody have insider information on the actual maker? I e-mailed Vortex, hopefully they will provide the info. I'd prefer to buy another NF and play things safe if its not made in the US, select countries in europe, or Japan............

pontiacpratt
04-25-2010, 6:39 PM
My Vortex scope is made in the Philippines, But I got the Diamondback

THT
04-25-2010, 6:55 PM
Have you tried Scott at Liberty Optics?

Solidsnake87
04-25-2010, 6:56 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading online. Their Crossfire series is made in China, it has a sticker on it....I've also found that same comment about the Philippines for the Diamondback....... I'm hoping the PST is made somewhere better. I have a feeling that they are only able to offer soooo many amazing features cheaply by making it in a cheapo country. This won't slide with me if that is the case. Their product, customer service, and warrenty caught my attention but the last thing I want is all the QC issues Leupold has. I'll wait 2 yrs for reviews if i need to and just stay with NF.

Have you tried Scott at Liberty Optics?
I asked him, but I'm awaiting reply.

pontiacpratt
04-25-2010, 7:03 PM
I'll tell you one thing my Diamondback is a very clear and well made scope. Vortex scopes come with a "We don't care who's fault it is, if it breaks or fails we'll replace it no questions asked within 10 business days policy"

santacruzstefan
04-25-2010, 7:03 PM
For the price and features, I'll be picking one up when they are available. The Nightforce are 2.5x the price, and while fine scopes, that just a bit too much for a poor student like me. But the reviews from folks who saw them at SHOT have been really positive, and it sounds like it can't be beat at that cost level.

Solidsnake87
04-25-2010, 7:18 PM
I used to like Leupold till QC issues became a problem. Once I switched to NF as my bare minimum distance scope, I have never looked back. The Viper PST has all the features I could want in a USO/NF scope at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of either. The thing I like about NF is that their product WILL work as advertised out of the box. There will not be a problem with your scope. Period. If there is, they are on top of it. Leupold has a great warranty too but your odds are using the warranty once (or multiple times) is much higher. I've heard too many accounts (and have had one myself) of Leupolds not tracking correctly. When I pay big bucks for a scope, I want it to work out of the box...........not after 2 trips to the service department.

The Viper Vortex seems to allow me all the features I could ever want. It would be awesome if Viper set the new standard for scopes. But I care about quality. I've learned the hard way that if something is too god to be true, it usually is. I think I'll hold off on the Viper till I can here reviews after a few have been abused. I still want to know where its made though.

To be honest, I like products made in the USA by Americans. That is another thing I like about NF. Though their some of their tubes and most glass is made outside the country (Japan), they still do all the final assembly and even make some entire scopes in the US.

I found this. A Vortex rep discusses here that the Crossfire is the only Vortex line made in China
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1582885&page=1

winxp_man
04-25-2010, 7:54 PM
the Vortex PST series is made in the Philippines with some of the internal parts (is what i read in some forums) made in Japan....... Sam from vortex has done some target shooting with a few of the new PST scopes and says good things about them..... snipershide is were he posts a lot of his info......

ps this should have been posted in the Optics section of the forum just a heads up :D

Baja_Traveler
04-25-2010, 8:05 PM
Just checked my Viper - under the turret housing it is stamped Philippines.

I absolutely love this scope, the day I build my 6.5 Lapua I'll have a PST on top of it.

winxp_man
04-25-2010, 8:17 PM
here is a real nice or a super nice review of the viper PST and pics are awesome

http://mars-aws.com/node/39

Black Majik
04-25-2010, 8:34 PM
Viper scopes are made in the Philippines, the binos are made in Japan.

winxp_man
04-25-2010, 8:38 PM
Viper scopes are made in the Philippines, the binos are made in Japan.

yes the regular Vortex Viper is made in the Philippines...

but the PST has some parts made in Japan email Scott at LibertyOptics or Sam at Vortex and they will say the same

Black Majik
04-25-2010, 8:42 PM
yes the regular Vortex Viper is made in the Philippines...

but the PST has some parts made in Japan email Scott at LibertyOptics or Sam at Vortex and they will say the same

Even better.. :cool2:

Solidsnake87
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
I've e-mailed them both...........I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say.
I know nothing about Philippine-made items so I'm thinking I'll hold off and see what serious users have to say.......

winxp_man
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
just read reviews from the regular Vortex Viper scopes and you will get an idea.

winxp_man
04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
also check the link for the 4-16 PST review there saying some good things about them in there.

Solidsnake87
04-26-2010, 1:06 AM
That link for the review is good. I'm glad the scope has a solid "feel" with crisp operations. Still, the article did not address tracking/reliability. Perfect tracking is what makes or breaks a scope. If I remember right, IO released some crazy new scope not too long ago that failed in reliability out of the box. I'm sure they addressed the issue though. Looks like we will have to hold back till some reviews of this nature come in for the PST. Its seems that Vortex is very perceptive to what people want in a scope..............if this thing had 20 MOA turrets that were 1/4 MOA per click that is really all it would need in addition to good tracking for them to get my money.

xibunkrlilkidsx
04-26-2010, 7:41 AM
been looking at these scopes as an upgrade for my buckmaster. havent been able to find to much negative response.

Juice5610
04-26-2010, 8:02 AM
I think it is that its made in the Philippines but the glass is from japan

Solidsnake87
04-26-2010, 8:21 AM
I got the same answer from Liberty ptics and from Vortex directly.

Thank you for you interest in our products. The Viper PST's are manufactured in the Philippines and use premium Japanese glass for the optical system

I know nothing abou Philippine quality. They make nice .45s......but optics demand more extreme tolerances. I guess I'll wait and see how these turn out for others :)

a1fabweld
04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I just bought a new Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 tactical with 30mm tube, Mil reticle, & Mil adjustments this morning for $629.00. I know Bushnell has a good reputation & their Elite series are great for a midgrade scope. I was looking at the PST as well, but I won't buy one for a while or at least until I hear reviews from some that are actually in use. I feel comfortable with Bushnell products.

Scott_at_Vortex
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I have done a lot of extensive in the field tracking testing on these and they are doing great. They impress me more and more everytime I use them.

Scott

problemchild
07-03-2010, 10:02 AM
I've e-mailed them both...........I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say.
I know nothing about Philippine-made items so I'm thinking I'll hold off and see what serious users have to say.......

I have been to the Phils twice and they are a great people. They LOVE America and Americans. My wife is filipina and the best wife in the world. She lets me buy any gun I want too. :D

shooker8
07-03-2010, 1:06 PM
I got a vortex viper and love it. Very clear glass and I haven't had a problem. i give the vortex scopes I saw a thumbs up.

dchang0
07-03-2010, 8:41 PM
I'm not buying anything made in China.

Good luck with that--if you shop at Walmart or Target, you're buying stuff made in China--the shirt on your back, the socks on your feet... Hell, the lead and brass in your ammo is probably recycled in China's sweatshops, so every time you pull the trigger, them commies dance a little jig!