PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Mini 14...bolt is stuck

Mendo223
04-25-2010, 6:07 PM
hey guys the bolt the on ruger mini 14 is stuck. i cant break it down for cleaning because i cant engage the safety or pull the bolt back. ive used alot of force but it seems stuck pretty good and i dont wanna break it.

any ideas on what i need to do?

Scott0san
04-25-2010, 6:14 PM
You probably have rust on the gas port. I had the same problem. Take a rubber mallet and hit the charging handle...........then clean and lubricate.
If it ends up being something else post an update so we can all learn a little more

Mendo223
04-25-2010, 6:15 PM
Ok i got the bolt to slide back..but it takes alot of effort. i think something may be stuck..because it wont freely slide forward all the way.

time to break it down and figure out what the hell i did...has anyone experianced this?

virulosity
04-25-2010, 6:16 PM
that sounds weird, I would check out the bolt carrier and receiver interface for wear. Is it more pronounced when the bolt is rotating in/out of battery?

nrakid88
04-25-2010, 6:33 PM
For future info you should do a mortar drill when the bolt is stuck forward. Smack the butt of the rifle hard into the ground while simultaneously pulling the bolt. Works every time.

Mendo223
04-25-2010, 6:50 PM
You probably have rust on the gas port. I had the same problem. Take a rubber mallet and hit the charging handle...........then clean and lubricate.
If it ends up being something else post an update so we can all learn a little more

you were right!!

look at all this rust
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/regulatorocks/IMG_1159.jpg

i need to throw some dessicant into my safe....for some reason my air is humid. ive been seeing a little rust on my AR 15 too.

damn!!
its nice and lubricated now...and she cycles like a charm. i installed my new rattlecan stock il post pics in the rattlecan thread.

Jonathan Doe
04-25-2010, 7:15 PM
It doesn't look too good. It looks like it is beyond the surface rust. Cycling and shooting may be two different things. Hope cleaning would work.

Mendo223
04-25-2010, 9:25 PM
yea i scrubbed it several times with lube...spray lube..scrub, wipe..spray again, etc.

it looks better but yeah i might have to replace those parts in the future.

will this cause any problems with shooting?

guess i gotta take her out and see what happens.

echo1
04-26-2010, 6:47 AM
Try 0000 steel wool with WD40, won't take down the metal.

Mr. Beretta
04-26-2010, 8:00 AM
For future info you should do a mortar drill when the bolt is stuck forward. Smack the butt of the rifle hard into the ground while simultaneously pulling the bolt. Works every time.

Great advice!

It works!

Mendo223
04-26-2010, 6:00 PM
took her out today and got my best groups with her yet!