PDA

View Full Version : HK P7 - P7M8 ... is there a differnce?

thefitter
04-25-2010, 4:34 PM
I'm seeing some "surplus" P7 for sale. I need to know if they are P7M8 because that's what is on the Ca approved list.

BitterOldMan
04-25-2010, 4:36 PM
The surplus P7s for sale are the P7 PSP (not P7M8) issued to the German Police and are not on the CA DOJ safe guns list. You can only obtain one through a PPT.

Sorry.

thefitter
04-25-2010, 4:38 PM
The surplus P7s for sale are the P7 PSP (not P7M8) issued to the German Police and are not on the CA DOJ safe guns list. You can only obtain one through a PPT.

Sorry.

F**K!

If I find a P7 on gunbroker how can I tell if it's a P7M8?

BitterOldMan
04-25-2010, 4:46 PM
The P7M8 has the magazine release by the trigger. The P7 has a heel magazine release by the bottom of the magazine well. Look in the http://hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=6%3Athe-pistols&Itemid=5&layout=default

Additionally, the both P7 and P7M8 magazines are super expensive. This model tends to run hot after a few magazines.

Good luck in your hunt. There are several for sale in calguns forum right now.

thefitter
04-25-2010, 4:57 PM
The P7M8 has the magazine release by the trigger. The P7 has a heel magazine release by the bottom of the magazine well. Look in the http://hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=6%3Athe-pistols&Itemid=5&layout=default

Additionally, the both P7 and P7M8 magazines are super expensive. This model tends to run hot after a few magazines.

Good luck in your hunt. There are several for sale in calguns forum right now.

Yeah thanks, I only saw 2 though one hard chromed and one for $1500 in LA. Pretty steep and I'm up here with you. Found one on Gunbroker, made in Germany. Do you know what "Chantilly Import" is? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166234220

Jonathan Doe
04-25-2010, 5:42 PM
P7M8 also has a plastic shield in front of the trigger trying to shield from the heat. The tragger guard on P7M8 is also a little bigger than P7.

Quiet
04-26-2010, 1:10 AM
The H&K P7M8 had two different import locations. It's when H&K USA moved locations.
Chantilly, VA (older) and Sterling, VA (newer).
The Sterling marked P7M8s have a warning label engraved on the slide, whereas the Chantilly marked P7M8s do not.

The grips on the P7 series also show what model it is.
H&K P7 PSP = P7
H&K P7M8 = P7M8

Also note that the P7 and P7M8 magazines are not compatible. Also, expect to pay $55-80 per 8 round magazine.

leelaw
04-26-2010, 2:03 AM
The Sterling marked P7M8s have a warning label engraved on the slide, whereas the Chantilly marked P7M8s do not.

Not completely true. Some Sterling marked P7M8s have no warning markings on them, whereas all Chantilly marked P7M8s have no warning markings on them.

9mmepiphany
04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
the both P7 and P7M8 magazines are super expensive
i don't think super expensive starts until you price a mag for a Sig 210

the easiest ways to spot the difference between the PSP and M8 are:
1. M8 will have the mag release paddles behind the trigger guard
2. M8 will have a larger trigger guard...for gloves
3. M8 sights are raised and have larger bases...they have set screws in them
4. M8 will have a plastic heat shield on the frame above the trigger
5. the rear of the PSP slide will be flat...the striker take down collar does not stick out

i have one of each and prefer the PSP for carry because it is sleeker

Sicarius
04-26-2010, 4:26 PM
PSP = Police service pistol
Kevin