PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hider Problem/Question

Marxman
04-25-2010, 4:18 PM
Hello everyone, I just finished putting my new 18" WOA SPR barrel on my upper and went to install my YHM 5C1 flash hider (on a lower with a raddlock, don't worry) but I can't seem to get the one non-ported side to face down like it's supposed to - it always faces to the right of the rifle. I tried removing the crush washer and turned it upside down but it keeps returning to the same position. Hopefully I missed something stupid, but at the moment I'm having no luck with the install. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(I did google search this before I posted, sorry if this has been covered before as it most likely has)

creampuff
04-25-2010, 4:30 PM
Are you tightening with a barrel vise block? Sometimes that last 180 degree turn needs a bit of torque. Or was the original crush washer pretty crushed? Maybe a new crush washer might help?

Marxman
04-25-2010, 4:33 PM
Haven't tried with a vice block, but it seems that the last 270 degrees would break even a vice block. I'd need to use a hammer to force it that far, and if I have to do that I'll just stick without the hider. The way it keeps returning to the right position is uncanny, and I know my barrel is on correctly. I'm using the YHM crush washer that came in the package with the flash hider if that makes a difference.

creampuff
04-25-2010, 4:36 PM
Sorry you know. I think you are right, that's quite a large revolution to turn. I think even too much for a crush washer. I would recommend sanding/filing down the one side of the crush washer (preferably the narrower side), so you can get closer to 1/4 turn of a tool turn.

creampuff
04-25-2010, 4:45 PM
Another option may be to use peel washers, but they are tough to "peel" apart later.

Marxman
04-25-2010, 4:47 PM
Alright, thanks. Just wanted to get a quick opinion before I started monkeying around with the crush washer and a dremel tool. I'll sleep on the decision, and I may just end up buying some peel washers.

IW378
04-25-2010, 5:32 PM
Sorry you know. I think you are right, that's quite a large revolution to turn. I think even too much for a crush washer. I would recommend sanding/filing down the one side of the crush washer (preferably the narrower side), so you can get closer to 1/4 turn of a tool turn.
This. I have done this a couple times with no problems at all when I get a stubborn muzzle device. Just lay a good file on your workbench. Narrow side down like said above. And file in small amounts. Keep testing it in your barrel vise block to make sure you don't go too much but still have to yard on it pretty good to center it up.