PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - uppers legal to ship?

savageno4
04-25-2010, 3:45 PM
I am assuming there is no law against ordering a complete upper and having it shipped to my door (or buying it in Nevada at a gun show), but I just want to double check as our laws are somewhat draconian.

My lower is an OLL, and I understand the flow chart inside and out, and I have a bullet button, etc.

I'm not looking to get the upper just yet, but if I come across a deal I can't refuse, I'd like to stay out of jail.

Also, this is my first post here, as I usually spend my time on surplusrifleforum.com, but I am thinking I need to spend at least as much time here. It's nice, and there are no CA-bashers - and my No. 1 pet peeve is when other people treat us like we're to blame for our laws, as if we didn't vote...

Thanks!

telcolineman
04-25-2010, 3:55 PM
Yes uppers are legal to ship, They are not registered. Welcome to CG, Great bunch of guys here

djleisure
04-25-2010, 3:59 PM
Yep, uppers are perfectly legal to ship in to state or buy out of state and bring back with you.

The only thing I'll mention is that uppers that have barrels less than 16" fall under NFA rules and you would need to possess a registered pistol AR lower OR not have ANY regular AR lowers in your possession at the time. I'm guessing that's not what you are referring to, but just thought I'd mention it so you know!

Term
04-25-2010, 4:31 PM
op Thanks for posting the question cause I was just about to. (another newb)

Could someone also tell me what are pros and cons of the 7 twist vs. the 9.

anniepoks
04-25-2010, 5:09 PM
welcome Term & savageno4!
yes all uppers are good to go in Cali.
it depends though what to get - if you wanna build featureless or not.
just refer to CA AW ID flowchart for more info regarding the build.
(located at top left of the page. have fun!) :)

savageno4
04-25-2010, 5:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. One thing I forgot to ask about - are threaded barrel tips legal as well? I have no intention whatsoever of putting a silencer on it, which I would see as the basis for a law making them illegal (My Walther P22 has a fixed barrel so it can't have the threaded one attached). I would, however, like to know if I can buy a barrel with a threaded tip for a flash hider/compensator when I get to that phase.

I plan to make it a 16" barrel with a collapsible stock for a 31" minimum overall length. It will have a bullet button because I want the features.

Thanks again!

anniepoks
04-25-2010, 5:25 PM
yes, threaded barrels for ARs ok.
for a build with BB installed - flash hider, compensator or fake can ok.
BUT for a featureless, only compensator or muzzle break or fake can allowed,
absolutely no Flash hider!

djleisure
04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. One thing I forgot to ask about - are threaded barrel tips legal as well? I have no intention whatsoever of putting a silencer on it, which I would see as the basis for a law making them illegal (My Walther P22 has a fixed barrel so it can't have the threaded one attached). I would, however, like to know if I can buy a barrel with a threaded tip for a flash hider/compensator when I get to that phase.

I plan to make it a 16" barrel with a collapsible stock for a 31" minimum overall length. It will have a bullet button because I want the features.

Thanks again!
I highlighted a couple of your statements and added some clarity here. In general, you're on the right track, but there's always room to learn!

Your Walther P22 doesn't have a threaded barrel because it is a pistol - in general, pistols can NOT have threaded barrels in CA. (There are a couple exceptions, but there always are!)
The minimum overall length for rifles is 30" (not 31") but you will still be fine with any collapsible stock.

lorax3
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. One thing I forgot to ask about

Most of your questions were addressed by djleisure but I would like to add a bit.

Semi-auto pistols with detachable magazines cannot have threaded barrels. In theory you can have a threaded barrel in your possession and should not run afoul of the non-existent constructive possession AW laws.

From a personal standpoint I would avoid having a Glock 17 and a G17 threaded barrel in my range bag. No need to give the DA that much ammo (no phun intended).

Not sure if in the above quote you are referring to making your Walther into a rifle by adding a stock or still talking about the original upper. It would be possible, just could never go back(without an approved SBR stamp) once the stock and rifled barrel is attached.

As for the upper, all NFA rules apply.