PDA

View Full Version : building my first M1a,

slagusmc
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I am about to commence building up my first M1a. I scored the deal of the day and picked up a BNIB Springfield M1a standard black synthetic for $600 so now I gotta build it up. Im looking into stocks, optics, mounts etc. What do you guys recommend? Im looking into running a Sage EBR stock, topped with a Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x40 glass. GG+G bipod, etc. What are your thoughts on stocks? I like the JAE stocks but the EBR seems more versitile. What other parts should I replace?

damon1272
04-25-2010, 3:43 PM
I built up a friend's M1A with a sage stock. What a heavy turd. I would look towards the Troy stock. The sage was good but it made a heavy rifle even worse. You could also consider a mcmillan stock. The GG&G bipods look good. Can't speak to the quality but they tend to make good stuff. I personally run harris bi pods and have had good luck with them. The Leupold glass would be a good, there are other brands that I think that are just as good for the money but luepold makes a quality product that you should be happy with.
As for starting with I would take the rifle apart and look to see what bolt you have, trigger assembly, op rod. The springfield bolts tend to give people problems. If there is an issue springfield has great customer service. I would look to companies like sadlak for a scout mount. Also springfield makes a great adjustble trigger that they use in the M25 white feather. May want to consider that if you want to get out there. Good price on the rifle. And I though I got a great deal at $800 for mine NIB.

Sumo99
04-26-2010, 9:44 AM
Into what do you hope to make this rifle?

With both the Sage and Troy, you are either going to have to fix the magazine, or go without the pistol grip. I think the Troy actually weighs more than the Sage, but don't quote me on that. Also with the Troy, you can no longer use the iron sights. You would need to get different sights mounted to the rail. The Troy does have the full length rail so mounting optics would be easier. The Sage should help improve accuracy, not sure about the Troy.

If you are making a bench rifle, then I say the JAE is the way to go. Better accuracy, improved ergonomics and you get to keep your detachable mags.

A few add on's that I did to my scout squad that I really like:
Sadlak Tactical mag release
Sadlak NM spring guide
SEI USCG muzzle break
SEI Hooded Gas Lock front sight

Add on's that didn't make much of a difference
SEI Tactical bolt release
Sadlak TiN Piston
SEI CA Comp (Replaced with the MB)

X-NewYawker
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I am about to commence building up my first M1a. I scored the deal of the day and picked up a BNIB Springfield M1a standard black synthetic for $600 so now I gotta build it up. Im looking into stocks, optics, mounts etc. What do you guys recommend? Im looking into running a Sage EBR stock, topped with a Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x40 glass. GG+G bipod, etc. What are your thoughts on stocks? I like the JAE stocks but the EBR seems more versitile. What other parts should I replace?

That was the Deal of The Century.

JAE over Sage (keep your magazines!)
Get a Sadlak recoil spring guide and gas piston.

esskay
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
I scored the deal of the day and picked up a BNIB Springfield M1a standard black synthetic for $600 so now I gotta build it up.

M1A for $600 is the "deal of the day" ?? :eek::eek: That is the understatement of the day!! Congrats on an AMAZING pick up! You'll love it.

dratner
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Dang, where did you get that deal? I would sacrifice my left chestnut for a deal like that.

ChrisDM
04-26-2010, 2:12 PM
I have an EBR chassis on a M1A Scout and it is heavy. I basically consider it a bench gun. A very, very bad@$$ bench gun... And as a bench gun I don't mind the mag lock. But for all these factors it isn't the rifle I would choose if I were runnin' 'n' gunnin' for any apocolypse or zombie raid type scenario :)

FYI the JAE isn't any lighter, especially on the wallet. For my first "tactical" M1A I chose the Sage over the JAE because the SEALS, Marines and US Army also chose the Sage over the JAE. But I also have a JAE-based National Match M1A in the works as well. They're both awesome, but both bench guns for all practical purposes.

Here's a pic of mine with his little brother:

http://imagineimagery.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p847796427-5.jpg

Hope this helps,

Chris

slagusmc
04-26-2010, 3:15 PM
I picked my M1a up from a buddy who needed the cash,lol. It was never posted online..sometimes its all about who u know,lol. Thanks for the input guys, I think I will still go with the Sage stock, especially if I can find a good deal on a used one. I will also do the sadlak upgrades. Mounts Im still not sure about, it seems that aluminum mounts and springfield mounts are discouraged. Ive heard Sadlak and SEI are great,

Durasteel
04-26-2010, 3:29 PM
Sage stock is pretty nice, if heavy. If you're thinking about the JAE stock, know that it's even heavier than the Sage. Look at VLTOR's modstock, maybe?

Anyways, awesome deal on the M1A.

slagusmc
04-26-2010, 5:17 PM
Chris, How did u mount that scope in the pictures of your M1a with sage?

B Strong
04-26-2010, 5:38 PM

I'd forget about the EBR stocks and go with a JAE or a McMillan:

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#a35

If you're going to glass it, you'll need a model with a cheek piece.

On scoped M1A's the scope mount is the weak link in the system - I've seen more than one M1A seperate from the scope mount under recoil because the user didn't keep the mount torqued down.

I've had good experience with these two:

http://www.armsmounts.com/default.asp?mode=products&sub=mounts&id=[hsh]18

Check the 2005 and 2006 mounts:

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html

ChrisDM
04-26-2010, 6:56 PM
Chris, How did u mount that scope in the pictures of your M1a with sage?

Sage makes a "stripper clip sight base" which is a rear rail section that dovetails into the stripper clip guide and aligns with the forward rail.

odysseus
04-26-2010, 8:20 PM
The important part of the JAE is the solid titanium (or other alloy) mounting of the receiver. No need for special bedding, the action is secured to the stock with this metal-to-metal mounting. I do not like the weight aspect of the JAE, but I do have one on a more bench-type SS NM build and it is quality.

I am not sure of other stocks so well as far as the quality of the receiver mounting like JAE - perhaps those whom have them can advise. I would be interested in a Sage in a non pistol grip "cali" configuration for my mag swaps. I am not pinning my mag release.

X-NewYawker
04-26-2010, 9:35 PM
1) SEALs et al chose the EBR over the JAE because of two reasons -- they wanted M-4 trained operatives to feel comfortable with the transition, and b) They didn't make the JAE back when the EBR was available. For a squad tactical rifle the JAE would make a better stock for the M-21

2) I had the Non-pistol grip SAGE and the forend was great, but the CA legal buttstock was a bad compromise -- the reach to get to the trigger was not natural or comfortable.

X-NewYawker
04-26-2010, 9:40 PM
The important part of the JAE is the solid titanium (or other alloy) mounting of the receiver. No need for special bedding, the action is secured to the stock with this metal-to-metal mounting. I do not like the weight aspect of the JAE, but I do have one on a more bench-type SS NM build and it is quality.

I am not sure of other stocks so well as far as the quality of the receiver mounting like JAE - perhaps those whom have them can advise. I would be interested in a Sage in a non pistol grip "cali" configuration for my mag swaps. I am not pinning my mag release.

The JAE and the AI M1A stocks have aluminum bedding blocks -- the JAE feels more like a "rifle" than the AI. The Mcmillan, Manners and others must be glass bedded to hold the receiver securely, and if you shoot a lot, the bedding job will have to be redone occasionally.

JAE

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/JAE%20rifles/Hulk-Gun-1em.jpg

odysseus
04-26-2010, 9:47 PM
Is the AI one even available yet? It looks a bit overmolded...

sundayarmorer
04-26-2010, 9:51 PM
Im not sure theres a better stock then the JAE for the m1a. A bit on the heavy side, but if youve never met the OP, the guys a tank!

slagusmc
04-27-2010, 9:51 AM
I think Im still gonna go the Sage EBR route due to my military nostalgia. Especially since I think I found an ideal mounting solution.. I just ordered a LT-608 mount from Larue Tactical that should solve any mounting issues and if it is like any other Larue mount that Ive had, it will be rock solid and I can remove the scope and switch to my aimpoint without losing zero. Any of you guys tried this route? As soon as one of you guys sell me a used Sage stock for a decent price, Ill field test the combo and let you guys know,lol

ChrisDM
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I think Im still gonna go the Sage EBR route due to my military nostalgia. Especially since I think I found an ideal mounting solution.. I just ordered a LT-608 mount from Larue Tactical that should solve any mounting issues and if it is like any other Larue mount that Ive had, it will be rock solid and I can remove the scope and switch to my aimpoint without losing zero. Any of you guys tried this route? As soon as one of you guys sell me a used Sage stock for a decent price, Ill field test the combo and let you guys know,lol

Excellent choice, you will not be disappointed. Here are some resources for you. The EBR experts hang out here:

http://www.athenswater.com/M1A_Scout_Squad_EBR.htm

http://ebrsopmods.proboards.com/index.cgi#sagaofsage

And a pic of the LaRue Sage 608 mount. This is the most stable optics mounting platform for an EBR, although heavier than the Sage stripper clip sight base:

http://www.athenswater.com/images/LT-608c.jpg

slagusmc
04-27-2010, 3:09 PM
Yeah, I called up Larue and ordered that mount this morning. Its not listed on their website and it is backordered a bit, but the folks at Larue were great as always and promised to expedite my order as fast as possible. I have high hopes for this build, the JAE might be a better bench stock for really long range but for my purposes, I think the sage will be great. Great info guys, thanks and hopefully this thread will give anyone else building a M1a some good info...now somebody just sell me a reasonably priced Sage stock...I know someone has one they wanna get rid of, especially someone that likes the JAE stocks,lol

darkjedi351
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
go with the sage, you won't regret it. There's a reason the army, marines, navy and even the coast guard are using some form of the EBR. (even after the jae came out!)

clyde's (policeguns.com) has the navy gray mod-0 in stock but they're expecting a shipment of all others including more mod-1's.

tacom RI was taking the std sage alcs stocks as fast as sage could make them to fill a army order.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/06/26/10394-amc-deputy-chief-of-staff-on-target-with-m14-enhanced-battle-rifle/index.html

drop kevin a line at the m14hdw forum. he has abot 4 SEI built M1A's and 3 of them are in sages.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq329/darkjedi351/sagemk14.jpg

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq329/darkjedi351/afg_8_1-tfb-tm.jpg