View Full Version : Need some Help learning

02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Can anyone help me locate someone to work with me in the Valley/ Sacramento area with regard to my M1 and M14's? I would like to read less and learn more. I shoot my Socoms frequently, yet realize that I have significantly more to learn than I would like and would prefer to start with my Garands. I can travel a bit, yet not to North Carolina for the Appleseed shoots. Any references would be appreciated.

02-28-2006, 10:34 AM
You should look into the highpower matches at sacvalley. The highpower crowd probably has the highest concentration of M1 and M14 people.

02-28-2006, 3:31 PM
Competing in High Power matches will give you the fastest learning curve. don't worry about whether you're "good enough" to start competing. Just do it!

I shoot HP at Sac Valley all the time, and almost everyone there is willing and able to help new shooters learn. Just let the match director know it's your first time out, and what type rifle you're shooting, when you sign in. He'll pair you up with an experienced shooter.

Here's the HP range schedule for the year:

Here are course of fire:

The 3x600 prone matches are a great way for new shooters to learn long(er) range shooting and reading the wind. They are all slow fire, and each shot is marked and scored. That way you can keep a log of each shot and any adjustments you make for windage and elevation for the wind/light conditions.

You could also shoot the prone matches in F Class which would allow you to forgo shooting from position with a sling and just use a bipod or front rest. That would allow you to concentrate on learning to use your sights and reading the wind. Then later you can learn to use the sling and shoot from position. (big note here: A properly slung rifle will be at least as steady, and IMO, more so than a bipod)

03-01-2006, 7:49 AM
I appreciate the references very much.