PDA

View Full Version : "Otherwise Restricted" ??

Barkoff
04-25-2010, 7:26 AM
Otherwise restricted, what exactly does this mean? Can a county or a city in CA restrict those who have obtained a CCW in their home county of CA from carrying in their town or county? Or does "otherwise restricted" refer to courthouses and such?

Can Santa Cruz tell a CCW holder from Fresno, not in our town?

Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons

A license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person

may be granted to qualified residents of a county by the sheriff or to qualified residents of a city by

the chief or other head of the municipal police department of that city. Such licenses are issued only

after a finding that the applicant is of good moral character, that good cause exists for such a license,

and the applicant is not prohibited from possessing firearms. Unless otherwise restricted, such a

license is valid throughout the state.

383green
04-25-2010, 8:27 AM
I think that refers to additional restrictions placed upon a licensee by the issuer of the license. I don't think it allows third parties to restrict the licensee.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-25-2010, 8:32 AM
I think that refers to additional restrictions placed upon a licensee by the issuer of the license. I don't think it allows third parties to restrict the licensee.

You might want to rethink this. Consider this example: The owner of a private property who posts "No Firearms Allowed" signs.

Barkoff
04-25-2010, 9:01 AM
There are many restrictions, court, school, ect. On this thread I wish to concentrate on a town or city in one county saying no to a CCW holder from another county who obtained a CCW.

Does say San Fran have the legal authority to say no to a CCW holder from say Placerville?

Thank you for the replies.

bwiese
04-25-2010, 9:04 AM
Does say San Fran have the legal authority to say no to a CCW holder from say Placerville?

No.

Such instances have occurred before. I'd certainly (as part of CGF) like to hear of any *recent* (last year or two) instances.

Some cops in CA don't even know CCW is possible for quite a few and still prone CCW holders out.

Havoc70
04-25-2010, 9:19 AM
In this instance it means the issuer places restrictions. I.E. here in Vallejo the permit could be valid in Vallejo only or unrestricted (state wide).

winnre
04-25-2010, 9:27 AM
You might want to rethink this. Consider this example: The owner of a private property who posts "No Firearms Allowed" signs.

I have a rule that if you visit me you need to possess legal ID. I do not need to see it. If you have gun I need to inspect it. One guy did not want to surrender his concealed 10mm for my "stupid inspection rule" so I asked him to leave. He decided to let me see it.

He dropped the mag and cycled the slide, locked it open and handed it to me, keeping it pointed in a safe direction at all times. I inspected it but could not see light in the barrel. Walking outside and looking directly into the barrel, I saw a round stuck half-way down the barrel! It was wedged in there good.

Makes me feel my stupid rules have been vindicated.

Knauga
04-25-2010, 9:38 AM

Being a grumpyoldretiredcop, I'm sure you realize that in California those signs have no force of law. IF my concealed firearm happens to get spotted, all they can do is ask me to leave. If I fail to do that I am trespassing, but that has nothing to do with the validity of my CCW.

To the OP, it just refers to restrictions placed upon the CCW from the issuing agency. Some add restrictions, most don't.

Sinixstar
04-25-2010, 9:58 AM
I believe this language is part of what gives issuers in specific cities a wider degree of power in deciding who to give permits to. It allows the cities the power to put tighter restrictions then may exist at the county level, in places where the city's LE agency doesn't punt CCW issuance to the county.