PDA

View Full Version : Pinning Stock when going "featureless"

vincewarde
04-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm thinking about converting my bullet button AR clone to a featureless build using an Exile Machine grip. I intend to remove my birdcage brake/flash hider and somehow fix my telescoping stock.

My question is: From a legal standpoint what is the best way to fix my generic telescoping buttstock? Would it be safer to switch to a fixed stock?

Thanks to everyone for their input!

ParallaxTactical.com
04-25-2010, 1:29 AM
I would switch to a featureless stock just to be safe. We stock several ACE fixed stocks. However, if you were to pin your regular stock it would be fine.

E Pluribus Unum
04-25-2010, 1:54 AM
I'm thinking about converting my bullet button AR clone to a featureless build using an Exile Machine grip. I intend to remove my birdcage brake/flash hider and somehow fix my telescoping stock.

My question is: From a legal standpoint what is the best way to fix my generic telescoping buttstock? Would it be safer to switch to a fixed stock?

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I would switch to a featureless stock just to be safe. We stock several ACE fixed stocks. However, if you were to pin your regular stock it would be fine.

You don't need a fancy stock.

Take a standard collapsable stock, place it to the desired length. Then take the stock off and remove the spring from the buffer tube. Drill a .25 hole through the stock at the REAR of the buffer tube. Put a .25 bolt through the hole, attach a nut, and then solder or epoxy the bolt to the nut.

It took me 10 minutes.

grammaton76
04-26-2010, 5:00 PM
Personally, I'd go with an A2 fixed stock. A fixed collapsible stock just looks goofy, plus you may run a substantial subset of LEOs who are SB23-aware and OLL-aware, but still think it's a collapsible stock.

After all, given that BOF's primary determination for muzzle brake vs flash hider is what it's SOLD as, the same logic can apply. If you want it shorter, go for the RRA entry stock - those are pretty nice actually; my wife has one on her rifle.

E Pluribus Unum
04-26-2010, 5:19 PM
After all, given that BOF's primary determination for muzzle brake vs flash hider is what it's SOLD as, the same logic can apply. If you want it shorter, go for the RRA entry stock - those are pretty nice actually; my wife has one on her rifle.

So then... I should start machining a couple USGI spec "flash suppressors" and package them and sell them as "muzzle breaks" and we should be good to go, right?

loather
04-26-2010, 7:15 PM
So then... I should start machining a couple USGI spec "flash suppressors" and package them and sell them as "muzzle breaks" and we should be good to go, right?

Probably a bad idea. There are some compensator/brakes out there that look a fair amount like the USGI flash suppressor, but they're obviously different. Anyways, the DOJ could easily put them side-by-side and bust you. Since "flash hider" isn't technically defined in the law, the DOJ could simply come down and say that anything which appreciably decreases the muzzle flash from a rifle and doesn't otherwise suppress recoil is now classified as a flash hider.

Besides, it's spelled, "brake." I certainly wouldn't attach anything to my rifle that would break the muzzle. Re-crowning jobs are expensive!

Sorry. Major pet peeve.

GM_77
04-26-2010, 7:43 PM
You may want a pinned collapsible stock depending on the configuration you go with. Type III (Grip-Only Overhand) Configuration (http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP001.JPG) is probably the main reason to go the Exile Machine route as that is an advantage the hammerhead offers other pistol-grip work-arounds don't have.

I would think that a pinned generic collapsible stock would be analogous (in terms of safety) to 10/20 or 10/30 magazines. On the outside it looks like it is a no-no but on closer inspection it follows the letter of the law.

If you are one that refuses to tread that close then go for a fixed stock. A plain jane A2 would work or you could go with the ACE-Entry skeleton. There are a lot of options just remember to measure your desired stock length before you go out and buy one.

Also when buying a stock, consider the fact that if you will be running a sling you will need to find a way to mount it. So depending on what sling you already have, you may have to buy a different one depending on the stock.

For example:

I have a BFG (blue force gear) 2pt sling and loop one end around the bottom frame of my ACE Entry Skeleton Stock. A Magpul ASAP will NOT work on the ACE entry stock or a A2 stock. So the other advantage of running a pinned collapsible stock is you can attach any of the popular slings (Magpul/VTAC/Vickers BFG) in a normal way.