PDA

View Full Version : Laptop screen starts up black

Rudolf the Red
04-24-2010, 7:53 PM
Hp Pavillion with Vista. Turns on but screen never comes up. Before the screen issue, I was getting blue scree of death every other time I used it. Is this harddrive DOA? $350 laptop. Is it worth fixing?

Saigon1965
04-24-2010, 8:01 PM
Could be the inverter - Happened to several Dells I had - Computers are not worth fixing nowadays -

johnthomas
04-24-2010, 8:16 PM
It happened to my wife's dell laptop last week. I was told to get a flashlight and shine it on the screen and you will be able to see it enough to go back in time on the computer, system restore. I haven't tried it yet because I forgot about it until this thread, thanks for the reminder.

Rudolf the Red
04-24-2010, 8:47 PM
It happened to my wife's dell laptop last week. I was told to get a flashlight and shine it on the screen and you will be able to see it enough to go back in time on the computer, system restore. I haven't tried it yet because I forgot about it until this thread, thanks for the reminder.

I had it on for a minute, tried what I though was this, and there was no restore point saved. Are you talking about something else? Now that I think about it, how would one reinstall the OS without a disc? I do not think it came with one from HP.

johnthomas
04-24-2010, 8:54 PM
HP did not send disks out with some models, it is installed on another partition I believe. In system restore you can go back several months. My dell is having problems, It has no restore point either, I do have disks for it, I just have to save some files first.

fdbizzle
04-24-2010, 9:14 PM
Is it still under warranty?

TWoods450
04-24-2010, 9:17 PM
If you shine light on the screen can you see anything? If you can see the image on the screen faintly then its your FL Inverter, not that bad to get fixed, and an easy fix for most computers.

TWoods450
04-24-2010, 9:20 PM
If this is a hardware problem restoring its not going to do anything except destroy your data.

sholling
04-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Hp Pavillion with Vista. Turns on but screen never comes up. Before the screen issue, I was getting blue scree of death every other time I used it. Is this harddrive DOA? $350 laptop. Is it worth fixing?
If you can get it to boot up once there is probably a utility for creating discs. If you can't and you think the drive is okay then you'll have to try to get a disc from HP. They'll probably charge you something like $20 + S&H. The serial number should be on a sticker on the bottom of your PC. If it's the hard drive then replacing it is easy and you can often find them on sale for $50-75, but you'll still need a Windows disc from HP.

Honestly if it were mine and I couldn't fix it for $100 or so I'd replace it. Technology moves way too fast to put any more than that into a $350 notebook. If you decide you want to replace your notebook then keep an eye on bensbargains.net. They post sales from a ton of internet retailers and usually have something listed for less than $500 2-3 times a week.

Cyclepath
04-25-2010, 11:24 AM
The symptoms sound like a burnt out backlight or inverter as others have mentioned. Also, double check that the laptop is not set up to display on the external monitor. On my HP it is FN+F2. Toggle it a couple of times to confirm. If it is no longer in warranty and you are pretty good in fiddling around, you can try taking off the lcd bezel and removing the screen panel. Just take pictures or draw a diagram of where all the screws go so you can reassemble it. On the back of the panel you will find a part # for the screen. Google it and you can find replacement screens on eBay or other sources. The screens are usually made by other sources other than the laptop brand such as HP, Dell etc... I have replaced some for people that wanted to replace their defective screens w/o buying a new computer. But it is not for the faint of heart if you are not a tinkerer. Most replacement screens I have purchased have been about $100 or so depending on the model. If it is an inverter, I have purchased some for less than $20. Backlights are cheap >$10 or so. But you must know what the defective part is before replacing those. I would just get a replacement screen which includes all the above if you really want to take a chance to fix it. But at the price of computers these days, I would think twice if you want to fix.

Rudolf the Red
05-01-2010, 7:43 AM
I think I will pull the drive, sell the corpse, and buy another one. That sounds easy. Goodbye Vista!

Rudolf the Red
05-02-2010, 8:05 AM
I got it to turn on once more, got to the system restore button and hit it. 4 hours later, after reinstalling Windows and 103 Updates, I thought everything was cool. Then it blue screened like before.

I hate Vista.

JDay
05-02-2010, 2:14 PM
Could be the inverter - Happened to several Dells I had - Computers are not worth fixing nowadays -

Inverters only cost about $20 (Ebay) to replace. HP has all notebook service manuals on their support pages and they outline this procedure. Its a real simple swap (15-20 minutes tops, just have to remove the screen bezel) and definitely worth it, much cheaper than replacing an otherwise perfectly good machine.

http://support.hp.com

JDay
05-02-2010, 2:15 PM

That would mean your inverter died, running system restore is not going to bring it back to life. The inverter controls the backlight.

JDay
05-02-2010, 2:19 PM
I got it to turn on once more, got to the system restore button and hit it. 4 hours later, after reinstalling Windows and 103 Updates, I thought everything was cool. Then it blue screened like before.

I hate Vista.

The blue screen is most likely being caused by either a bad driver, software or a hardware issue, none of which is the fault of Vista.

Mac Attack
05-02-2010, 3:20 PM
this happened to my wife's 1 year old HP last year. I did some research and found HP had a recall out the laptops having this same problem. We sent it I and they fixed it up under warranty. Check HP's site for more info and to see if your laptop is part of the recall.

JDay
05-02-2010, 7:16 PM
most likely a memory issue, try to resit, clean it or move to another memory slot, you can use a pencil eraser to clean. if it has two memories, try only one memory on both slots.

If the contacts are dirty you have more serious problems.

Rudolf the Red
05-02-2010, 8:32 PM
The blue screen is most likely being caused by either a bad driver, software or a hardware issue, none of which is the fault of Vista.

I used pc decrapifier to take off all the junk that comes with the install. I wonder if one of those 103 updates is bad? I have time to kill. SHould I do another restore? :confused:

JDay
05-03-2010, 2:23 AM
I used pc decrapifier to take off all the junk that comes with the install. I wonder if one of those 103 updates is bad? I have time to kill. SHould I do another restore? :confused:

You should disable the reboot on crash feature and post up the error code next time it happens.

1. Click Start button.

2. From Start menu Click Control panel.

3. In Control Panel Click the System icon.

4. In the System Window look on the Left hand side of the window and you will see a list of options. Click on the Advanced System Settings option.

5. Because Computer management requires administrative privileges you may find the the User Account Control will pop up. If it does then enter the required information (if you are not the administrator) or, if you are the administrator, click the Continue button.

6. In the Advanced Settings window look for the Startup and Recovery section and then Click the Settings button.

7. In the Startup and recovery window look for the section marked System Failure and remove the tick mark from the Automatically Restart option. Now press OK button.

8. Finally click the OK button on the System properties Window and then close the system window.

Rudolf the Red
05-03-2010, 2:55 PM
I'll try that tonight. Thanks!

Mezcalfud
05-04-2010, 7:34 PM
I had a hp dv6000 series that has a known prob with this. They extend the warranty+1yr but I went past and won't pay $250 to fix it.

badandy
05-04-2010, 7:49 PM
HP mfr is most likely your problem. Sent my DV6000 back several times for warranty, but you have to hard *** them to get anything fixed... They replaced my MoBo twice, separate occurrences about a year apart. Sold it on eBay after the second return. Found online that HP extended warranty to 2 yrs due to repeated failures exactly as your explaining. I was pre-vista. I will never buy HP again.

Rudolf the Red
05-05-2010, 9:15 PM
I'm using it right now plugged in with no battery. Seems to work fine. When I booted it up with a battery installed and plugged in, it blue screeened while booting. Hasn't done it since with no battery.