PDA

View Full Version : Avoid "Tula" ammo.

b.faust
04-24-2010, 5:55 PM
I was at the range today and decided to try a few boxes of "Tula" 7.62x54r that I'd picked up at big five.

(Looks like this if you're not familiar with it) (http://media.photobucket.com/image/tula%20ammo/Skillespunk/Tula%20Ammunition/102_1603.jpg)
(And the fact it looked like a generic package should have been a hint)

Anyway, long story short, I'm about 6 rounds in and smoke starts pouring out of my PSL.
I pulled out the mag, and it was just SMOKIN.
So I looked at the primer and sure enough it was punched almost all the way through. I started picking up the other ones and the same.

About now I'm in a panic about my head spacing etc. But remember I have some Prvi with me. Put a couple through, primers looked looked fine.
It's never happened with any other ammo I've put through it, so I can only assume it was that Tula.

So, I'm thinking those Tula's have some weak sauce primers in them. Just a heads up everyone.

B.

Crawfish141
04-24-2010, 5:59 PM
That'a odd I've fired tons of it with no problems. FYI Tula is wolf ammo in a different package.

KCDS
04-24-2010, 6:00 PM
so that means those are not "mil-spec" ammo? I always thought russian just redo the packageing for the mil-specs...

b.faust
04-24-2010, 6:16 PM
That'a odd I've fired tons of it with no problems. FYI Tula is wolf ammo in a different package.

Huh,

The Wolf I normally use is "Wolf Gold".
I've shot Bulgarian Surp, Russian Surp, Prvi and Wolf Gold through that and I've never seen this before.

Like I said, I shot the Prvi (which apparently is Wolf Gold in a different package) right after I shot the Tula and the primers were business as usual.

Well it's either the batch I have, or my rifle just hates it.
;)
B.

HskrVern
04-24-2010, 6:29 PM
My M44 absolutely hates to shoot Tula ammo straight, but it makes some friggin huge fireballs :) thats the only reason I shoot it.

johnthomas
04-24-2010, 7:03 PM
What kind of dimple is being left on the primer of the ones that don't punch thru? I'm thinking your pin protrusion is a little further out than is needed.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

paul0660
04-24-2010, 7:29 PM
Wolf? Pierced primers? Has happened to me with x39 and 9x18, why not x54?

Z ME FLY
04-24-2010, 7:32 PM
I was at the range today and decided to try a few boxes of "Tula" 7.62x54r that I'd picked up at big five.

(Looks like this if you're not familiar with it) (http://media.photobucket.com/image/tula%20ammo/Skillespunk/Tula%20Ammunition/102_1603.jpg)
(And the fact it looked like a generic package should have been a hint)

Anyway, long story short, I'm about 6 rounds in and smoke starts pouring out of my PSL.
I pulled out the mag, and it was just SMOKIN.
So I looked at the primer and sure enough it was punched almost all the way through. I started picking up the other ones and the same.

About now I'm in a panic about my head spacing etc. But remember I have some Prvi with me. Put a couple through, primers looked looked fine.
It's never happened with any other ammo I've put through it, so I can only assume it was that Tula.

So, I'm thinking those Tula's have some weak sauce primers in them. Just a heads up everyone.

B.

Maybe it was a bad batch you got? But I have shot this stuff out of my AMD pistol and it has worked fine. It looks almost exactly like the wolf stuff.

bigthaiboy
04-24-2010, 7:39 PM

That's correct. It should be the exact same ammo as the Wolf, except imported into the US by a different importer : http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/products_id/602

pontiacpratt
04-24-2010, 7:42 PM
I just ran a hundred round of Tula through my AR today, One of the cases split at the neck but no issues, it all fired fine.

Henry Hill
04-24-2010, 8:14 PM
So far all I have shot in my AR is Tula. Never had malfunction. Cheapest ammo I can find ( If anyone can find a cheaper price on .223, LET ME KNOW ! ). Its usually ~ 125 shipped for 500 rounds . Hard to beat that for plinking :D

Hoop
04-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Any good places to buy tula 54R online? Big 5 wanted 20$ a box last I was there.

Turo
04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I shoot Tula/wolf 7.62x54r through the M44 and have never had any issues. Like other's said, maybe you had a bad batch. I particularly like the wolf ammo for my glock in .40S&W, it's nice and cheap and shoots well.

Solidsnake87
04-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I've had nothin but good luck with that ammo. Its good stuff. Especially in 7.62x39. Like another poster said, your firing pin might be protruding kinda far. That usually does not present a problem with thick primers only the thinner stuff.

b.faust
04-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Any good places to buy tula 54R online? Big 5 wanted 20$ a box last I was there.

J&G sales has great deals.

b.faust
04-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Tell you guys what.
First person to PM me gets a free box of 20 rounds of the batch I have.
Try it out and let me know.
(it's 7.62x54R and if you have a PSL, that's probably a better test than a Mosen)
Like I said, everything else was fine, so I don't know if it's a crap batch or my rifle just doesn't like Tula.

In the interest of science, I'll even ship it on my dime.
B.

SanPedroShooter
04-25-2010, 8:29 AM
What happens if the firing pin pierces the primer? Does some of the ignited powder blow out the back thru the hole?

winnre
04-25-2010, 9:11 AM
Local store was hyping IMI reloads for 5.56mm, dunno if they are good or not, do we have a thread for sucky ammo?

Rock_Islander
04-25-2010, 9:12 AM
I've shot Tula from my 1911, worked fine.

Shot Wolf through my AR on Wednesday, worked fine.

No primer piercing issues, no accuracy (or lack of it) issues, and no malfunctions.

Just cheap ammo, fun shooting.

Sorry to hear your experience.

Jayruta
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I have a PSL I'll give it a go to see if it happens in mine. PM sent.

rojocorsa
04-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I am pretty sure even the reputable ammo brands sometimes come with lemons...

liberty08
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Tula fires flawlessly out of both my M&P 15T and my WASR 10, but both of these rifles seem to fire anything.:43:

God Bless The Mauser
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I've put a bunch through my BCM AR and never had an issue.

b.faust
04-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Well like I said guys, I've checked all of the usual suspects out (firing pin, headspace, etc) It's clean, and the really odd part is, immediately after the tula, I loaded in some Prvi (which is also wolf, just a nicer brand) and it was fine.

This is my first time ever using Tula with anything, so I was a little freaked by what it did.

Anyway, Jayruta was the first to offer to be a tester, so he gets it.
We'll see what he says after.

B.