View Full Version : Can an AW be registered to 2 people?

02-27-2006, 4:48 PM
When my new AR-15 lowers make it to the banned list, does anyone know if I can register them in both my name and my adult son's name? If this can be done, I wonder if it's an "And", or an "Or" type registration.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer to this.

Sgt Raven
02-27-2006, 5:02 PM
Does your adult child live in the same residence as you do?

02-27-2006, 5:03 PM
i think
Article 3. Assault Weapon Registration

978.30 Requirements for Assault Weapon Registrations Pursuant to Penal Code Section 12285
(a) Registration applicants must be in compliance with the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 commencing with Penal Code section 12275, relative to the lawful acquisition and ownership of any assault weapon subject to registration.

(b) Assault weapon registrations shall be filed on a Department of Justice (DOJ) Assault Weapon Registration Application (FD 023). For purposes of compliance with the assault weapon registration period pursuant to Penal Code Section 12285 (a), an assault weapon registration application and required fee must be submitted to the Department with a postmark date no later than the end of the applicable registration period. If submitted on time with the required fee, the Department will process the registration application even if the application must be returned to an applicant for completion or correction after the close of the registration period. The applicant must resubmit the application within 15 days from the date on the notification letter from DOJ. The following information is required on the DOJ Assault Weapon Registration Application (FD 023):
(1) Registrant information: registrant's name; date of birth; sex; height; weight; eye color; hair color; residence address (physical); mailing address; telephone number; California Driver License (CDL) number or Identification number issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV); signature; date; right thumb print; and

(2) Assault weapon information: serial number; make; model; type; caliber; day (if known), month (if known), and year of acquisition; name and address of person or firearms dealership from whom assault weapon was acquired (optional).

(c) Joint registrations will be permitted for assault weapons owned by family members residing in the same household.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 12276.5(i), Penal Code. Reference: Sections 12285(a) and (e), Penal Code.

02-27-2006, 7:04 PM
So what happens if my brother goes away to Boot camp and the ban goes into effect? Can we both still regester the assualt weapons to eachother even though he technically not living in the house at the time?
Can he even regester his if he's away on active duty not in CA?

02-27-2006, 7:30 PM
I think yes since that is his "residence"

Sgt Raven
02-27-2006, 8:35 PM
My "home of record" when in the service was my parents house. That was the address on my Ca DL too.

02-28-2006, 1:26 PM
Yes, my son lives in at the same address. Since he just started living with me about 6 months ago, will he have to show proof of this by a CDL or something?
Also, I couldn't tell if the joint registration is considered an "and" registration.

02-28-2006, 1:49 PM
I'm wondering what happens when the son leaves, does he get de-listed?

02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
once ur weapon is registered.its registered. Doesnt matter where u move..even if u go out of state..u can bring those registered ones back in. They dont unregister it.

02-28-2006, 11:06 PM
yea, my is registered to my dad and i