PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a .30 cal Remington 700...

Hornet_RN
04-24-2010, 5:30 PM
i've been looking for a good Remington 700 (probably a BDL) for hunting and target shooting. i'm just confused though as to which caliber to buy it in.

I was primarily looking at .30-06, because i wanted a classic American cartridge. however, i've also looked at .308 Win or the .300 Win Mag.

i figured .30-06 is the best because it is relatively available anywhere and there are many different kinds of loads to choose from.

another factor was cost!

i figure .30-06 is almost similar in cost to .308, and is definitely cheaper than .300 Win Mag.

and of course another factor is accuracy. how do these all compare in accuracy? i figure since .30-06 is the oldest cartridge of the three, it would be the least accurate, or is than an incorrect guess? however, i don't want massive recoil which i heard the .300 Win Mag is known to have.

help me out calgunners...thanks

NapaCountyShooter
04-24-2010, 8:22 PM
If you're more interested in precision shooting, I'd go .308 as there are more readily available match cartridges and components as well as a little less recoil. If you're more interested in hunting, I'd probably go 30-06 as you can get ammo to fit pretty much any hunting you want to do.

Juice5610
04-24-2010, 9:04 PM
After about a good month of research I now have my Remington SS 5R I'll be posting about my first range trip with her in about 2 weeks :)