PDA

View Full Version : which dan wesson 1911

ijustchillin
04-24-2010, 3:32 PM
hey guys need help picking a dan wesson. my brother is moving back to kalifornia and he's getting me one for my birthday. So i get to choose but dont know which one is bang for the buck from their line of 1911's. So which one would you get and why. All opinions are appreciated.

RedFord150
04-24-2010, 4:21 PM
PM7 is full size. I bought one several months ago. No regrets.
The CBOB is the smaller 'Commander' size. CBOB is propably a better choice if you CCW.
These are your 2 choices in CA.
This thread was just done in the last week or 2. Do a search and you will find many responses.
Good luck.

i1800collect
04-24-2010, 4:32 PM
The CBOB is the smaller 'Commander' size. CBOB is propably a better choice if you CCW.
This thread was just done in the last week or 2. Do a search and you will find many responses.
Good luck.

I don't think the roster is an issue in this case. OP, please clarify if it is.

If you're not restricted by the roster, I would go for the Dan Wesson Valor or the V-Bob (Valor Bobtail) if you need it to be easier to conceal.

If you are restricted by the roster, get the Pointman 7 or the CBOB if you need it to be easier to conceal.

9mmepiphany
04-24-2010, 4:54 PM
i believe the roster does not apply if the brother buys it before he returns, registers it when he returns and then transfers it to him (PPT)

oops almost forgot...i'd get a Valor, because you can get the longer slide without the forward slide serrations...if he has the time, you can even get a bobtailed Valor

Legasat
04-24-2010, 5:23 PM

This is correct. There are only 2 Dan Wessons on the roster this year. PM-7 & CBOB. The only place DW is shipping these two models this year, is CA. Luckily for us, they are 2 of DW's finest.

I own the PM-7, and have shot the CBOB many times. Both excellent quality, both excellent value. You can buy a better quality 1911, but not at this price (IMHO).

You can't go wrong with either one....

nn3453
04-24-2010, 6:47 PM
Depends on which serves your needs better. I like my full size PM-7. I should've picked up a CBOB when they were still available for $900. Feel it in your hands and see what works for you. Can't go wrong with either. Also, something what feels good at the store behaves differently at the range, so ideally shoot before you buy.

ijustchillin
04-24-2010, 8:54 PM
sorry for the confusion, roster restriction isn't a issue. The pm7 and cbob is on roster so i'm not worried about those. I was thinking about the valor, but didn't want to get it just because its top shelf for their line of firearms. If the valor is worth the price tag i will defenitely consider it. if i can get a lower model with the same specs for a cheaper, thats good enough for me. thanks for the opinions keep them coming.

i1800collect
04-24-2010, 9:14 PM
sorry for the confusion, roster restriction isn't a issue. The pm7 and cbob is on roster so i'm not worried about those. I was thinking about the valor, but didn't want to get it just because its top shelf for their line of firearms. If the valor is worth the price tag i will defenitely consider it. if i can get a lower model with the same specs for a cheaper, thats good enough for me. thanks for the opinions keep them coming.

I would suggest you go to the Dan Wesson subforum on 1911Forum and ask the guys there for their opinions. Not too many people on this board have experience with anything other than the PM7 and CBOB, so naturally most of the people here will be very biased towards the PM7s and CBOBs that they own and are happy with.

Dan Wesson subforum: http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

9mmepiphany
04-24-2010, 9:15 PM
i had a chance to handle a Valor last year and it is definitely closer to the Springfield Pro than the TRP

Sam
04-24-2010, 9:16 PM
I know you're asking about Dan Wesson, but if you're looking at the Valor (which is somewhere around 2K I think) then you should look at other 1911s you can get customized in the price range.

i1800collect
04-24-2010, 9:23 PM
I know you're asking about Dan Wesson, but if you're looking at the Valor (which is somewhere around 2K I think) then you should look at other 1911s you can get customized in the price range.

Dan Wesson Valor SS - $1455
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/62352

Going to be a stretch to get a semi-custom in that price range.

wamphyri13
04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Depending on what YOU like, if your not getting the Valor, go for the Heritage.
Full size, ribbed top, fixed sights, no FCS, lowest lost. Plus the possibility of upgrades in the future. That's what I would get.
Ryan