PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Issue

Baconator
04-24-2010, 3:02 PM
I picked up my Remington 700 SPS Varmint rifle today. I put the bolt in and it opened and closed fine. I closed it and fired it and the proceeded to mount my base, rings, and scope and now the bolt wont open. I used a mallet to push it open. I pulled the bolt out, and used the button to pop it out of place. I pushed it back in and it is hard to push down. Am I missing something here? This is my first bolt action gun, so I am not terribly familiar with what I am doing wrong. Can someone help me?

God Bless The Mauser
04-24-2010, 3:15 PM
What kind of mount is it? Maybe it warped the receiver slightly when you tightened it down. Sometimes Remingtons aren't perfectly machined and a one piece base if tightened in the front can have a little bit of a gap between the rear of the base and receiver. You probably shouldn't use a mallet on the bolt since the handle is soldered on and could snap if you beat it too much.

Fjold
04-24-2010, 3:16 PM
Check that the front scope mount screws aren't extending through the front ring of the receiver and binding against the bolt. Some screws are position specific with longer screw having to go in the rear ring and shorter screws up front.

Baconator
04-24-2010, 3:19 PM
What kind of mount is it? Maybe it warped the receiver slightly when you tightened it down. Sometimes Remingtons aren't perfectly machined and a one piece base if tightened in the front can have a little bit of a gap between the rear of the base and receiver. You probably shouldn't use a mallet on the bolt since the handle is soldered on and could snap if you beat it too much.

It's a EGW. The bolt slides in and out real easy, just when I go to slide the handle down it is very hard to push down. I only hit it with the mallet the one time to get it opened, I haven't forced it back closed.

Baconator
04-24-2010, 3:19 PM
Check that the front scope mount screws aren't extending through the front ring of the receiver and binding against the bolt. Some screws are position specific with longer screw having to go in the rear ring and shorter screws up front.

Will check this and report back.

Baconator
04-24-2010, 4:21 PM
That was it. There were no instructions in the package for the base, but there were two different sized screws. I put the longer ones in the back, and it works now. Thanks.

Pthfndr
04-24-2010, 7:05 PM
You aren't the first one to have that happen, you won't be the last.

Baconator
04-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Kinda pisses me off that there were no instructions on the base.

Beelzy
04-25-2010, 6:25 AM
Don't forget to polish off the scratch on the bolt. :)

Baconator
04-25-2010, 6:29 AM
Don't forget to polish off the scratch on the bolt. :)

Will do.