View Full Version : confused about ammo for 41 LC

04-24-2010, 2:38 PM
My grandpa apparently has had one of these in his drawer for the last 40 years and has never shot it once.

I'm trying to find ammo for it am not certain if I'm finding that right stuff. I kind of got overwhelmed the last couple of days and read some posts about smokeless vs blackpowder etc. And to be honest, the only hand guns I've ever fired before were recent model 9's.

I just took this picture yesterday and as you can see I do have a box of unused ammo and the side of the box reads
41 Long Colt 195 Grain index 4341

I'd like to take him out to put some rounds through it. But I'd rather just save/collect the remington ammo so that's why I'm looking for new supply. Anyone else have one of thees? I found some at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=194816 will this work for me?

04-24-2010, 2:53 PM
Yep the midway stuff is ok to shoot, and the remington stuff is probably worth a small fortune as it is very, very rare now.

04-24-2010, 3:01 PM
I had a 41 Colt in a Single action Army. Ammo is much easier to find today than it was 20 years ago. The old DA 41's have always suffered in value because the caliber is uncommon but things are improving.

04-24-2010, 3:10 PM
Cool thanks. Guess I'll be ordering a box of ultramax from midway. btw, you guys notice the price on the original box? $5.25 plus tax!

04-24-2010, 3:26 PM
Historical Notes Introduced by Colt with its double-action or Lightning Model revolver in 1877, it was later used in the New Army, New Navy, Army special, Single Action Army and the Bisley. No revolvers have chambered this cartridge since about the early 1930s. The 41 Short Colt is identical except for case length (0.65-ince) and the 160-grain bullet used. Both rounds were originally blackpowder cartridges using outside-lubricated bullets with a diameter of 0.401-inch. Smokeless powder, inside-lubricated cartridges have hollow-base bullets of 0.387-inch diameter intended to expand into the bore upon exiting the case.

General comments Although obsolete for a long time, the 41 Long colt was for some years quite popular. It is largely a short-range number with its slow, heavy bullet, but it has good stopping power. Its performance can be duplicated by using the 200-grain bullet in the 38 Special. It actually is no more powerful than the 38 special and, in addition, is neither as accurate nor as versatile. It was never popular for hunting, although it would certainly be adequate for small to medium game. The cartridges are now collector's items as there has been no commercial manufacture for many years. (By special order, Winchester produced a small run about 1970.)

Source: Cartridges of the World, 10th Ed. by Frank C. Barnes/Edited by Stan Skinner.

Edit: The good news is that Ultramax now loads the round. Ammo looks to be very expensive at $74.99 for box of 50 as sold Midway/USA. That old box of Remington is probably quite valuable as a collectable item.

04-24-2010, 3:34 PM
Buffalo Arms has it in both black and smokeless powder loadings. 66.00 for 50 smokeless

04-24-2010, 3:39 PM
Nice find, I see it here http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4169.html

Btw, What's the best way to clean the exterior of this thing? As you may be able to notice, the majority of the original blue finish has been worn off.