PDA

View Full Version : Going through my current calibers for a good hog bullet

RogueSniper
04-24-2010, 3:02 PM
Rather than buying another gun for hog, I figure I should have something in my safe that will do the job.

According to the DFG Pig Guide, my 44Magnum will take down a pig that's <90lbs. I have that in a 10" Thompson Contender and a 4" SW 629 - I think a 4" barrel is too short and I'd only bring it along for backup. But for anything bigger, I'd have to use my M1A in .308 or my K98 in 8mm. Both of which are pretty darn heavy to be lugging into the field. Of course, these are both combat proven rifle, so I'm just being whiny. Dad and Grandpa both probably carried one in the wars, so I shouldn't be complaining. :D

What about a 7.62x54R? I know it's a good deer caliber but what about pig? Someone was selling a 300 Whisper for a T/C, which sounded like a promising round, too.

Any thoughts? I reload, so I get get those 44Mag to push some good knockdown energy. I'll just have to work up a good load that's not too punishing.

Big Jake
04-24-2010, 3:45 PM
Any of the guns you talk about will do just fine with hogs!

Argonaut
04-24-2010, 3:56 PM
Any of the guns you talk about will do just fine with hogs!

I agree......the biggest problem is bullet placement. Take whatever you can shoot the straightest. I use my XP100 in 308 mostly because it is easy to carry and shoots the same as a rifle, but within range I would not feel under gunned with my 4" M629 either.

180ls1
04-24-2010, 6:24 PM
i dont see any reason why your .44 would not kill a 250lb pig with the right bullet and shot placement out to 70-80 yards.

RogueSniper
04-24-2010, 7:43 PM
I've been reading on bullet placement and looked at some anatomy pics of hogs. That heart and lung shot looks like a pretty small zone and protected by the shoulder. A broadside shot with the leg forward looks the only shot, otherwise it looks pretty hard. The spine shot, I thought, was a high shot. After looking at the skeleton, it's a lot lower than I first thought. Is the spine shot the most effect or is the heart and lung shot a better hog dropper?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/johnnyfire/feralhog1.jpg

I found this site to be an excellent resource for understand hog anatomy. Bloody ... but good.
http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
http://www.texasboars.com/graphics/anatomy/harthand.jpg

jmzhwells
04-24-2010, 7:50 PM
MIA is perfect, nice follow up shot if it doesnt go down after the first one.

bruce_ventura
04-25-2010, 9:06 AM
You have a lot of good choices with those calibers. Don't worry about the shoulder protecting the vitals with any of them - breaking the shoulder is an effective way to bring a big down.

Bullet selection is important. Can you get good hunting loads for the 7.62x54R? I thing it would be cool to hunt any one of those rifle - an experience worth the extra pound or two of weight. The M1A might offer the advantage of a fast second shot - certainly lots of good bullet choices.

Maybe choose the one you can get on target fastest and most accurately. Pigs have great hearing and smell. They're often on the move when a shot presents itself. I shot one running at about 200 yards. It took me four shots from my .270 bolt gun to get the lead right. Fortunately I could see the bullet impact behind the pig through my scope.

DirtyDave
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Any of those should work only problem I see is getting Lead-Free for some of them if you are in the Condor-zone. .308 would probably be your best bet for that. I found some lead-free for the 7.62x54r once when i was looking into getting a Mosin, but dont remember where I found it.

edit; found barnes bullets loaded up in 7.62x54r
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=419&osCsid=1rmldlkea0m22rgi7kvp0ergb2

Howie44
04-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Any of those should work only problem I see is getting Lead-Free for some of them if you are in the Condor-zone. .308 would probably be your best bet for that. I found some lead-free for the 7.62x54r once when i was looking into getting a Mosin, but dont remember where I found it.

edit; found barnes bullets loaded up in 7.62x54r
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=419&osCsid=1rmldlkea0m22rgi7kvp0ergb2

Thats a good price. I've been paying $60 a box for the same Barnes loaded rounds

RogueSniper
04-25-2010, 5:32 PM
I was just checking on Hodgdon's Load Data website and it says I can push either 54R or 8mm Mauser up to 3000fps (max). Definitely a hog stopper. I think I can shatter a shoulder blade (the hog's not mine) with it. I think it's time to start shopping for a new sporter stock for the Mauser but I'll keep the Mosin as is. I might need the bayonet. :thumbsup: I like the Barnes info. I'll check Graf & Sons for components.

Shotgun Man
04-25-2010, 5:48 PM
I plan on using .270 for Moose this fall.

Some people say it is too weak. Others say it is fine.

I'm going with the people who say it is fine.

theseacow
04-25-2010, 7:05 PM
But for anything bigger, I'd have to use my M1A in .308 or my K98 in 8mm.

If it were me, I would use the m1a until you can get a dedicated hunting rifle. Since you reload you should be able to find good heavy hunting bullets for whatever twist rate your rifle is. This way you will have quick and easy follow up shots if the first shot isnt perfect. You will also have a better chance at robinhooding your bullets ;)

Call_me_Tom
04-25-2010, 8:47 PM
If it were me, I would use the m1a until you can get a dedicated hunting rifle. Since you reload you should be able to find good heavy hunting bullets for whatever twist rate your rifle is. This way you will have quick and easy follow up shots if the first shot isnt perfect. You will also have a better chance at robinhooding your bullets ;)
Agreed, the M1A is good enough & there are plenty of round options for it.