PDA

View Full Version : AR Help am I missing something?

USFSff
04-24-2010, 2:04 PM
This is my first build and I am new to ar15s so I COULD be just frustrated buuuuuttttttt...I consider myself mechanically inclined having built a few muscle cars and hotrods from ground up, and Im pretty sure ....ahhhh forget it! im pissed

Isnt there supposed to be a hole here to put the detent and spring in there!!!!
crap....

The front take down pin is also super difficult to push all the way in... I cant get it all the way in unless I tap it with a hammer...tolerances are too tight...
Im using a Stag LPK

JD machine thnx alot.... IS this what $89.00 and $30 in gas to pick it up gets me??? shouldve bought it from rifle gear...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg122/ssakayeda/guns/IMG00007-20100424-1347.jpg

Josh3239
04-24-2010, 2:06 PM
The front takedown pin will eventually loosen up. Yes there should be a hole there; you can drill it yourself, return it for a new one, or contact the manufacturer if the original owner won't accept a return. Drilling the hole really wouldn't be difficult, plenty of people do that with 80% receivers. I tapped my .308 lower's hole so I can use a set screw to capture the spring and detent. Though I am sure JD will replace it no questions asked.

AlliedArmory
04-24-2010, 2:08 PM
Yes there should be a hole there.

USFSff
04-24-2010, 2:11 PM
It was bought directly from JD machine.... I live in OC and drove all the way down to pick it up... BECAUSE... I was told to buy from them at the show and they would "hook me up for the trouble and gas I would spend" Even though I could have bought from Rifle gear... When I went there they seemed busy and Didnt get anything out of it...just a was of $30 in gas...ehhhhhh!!! Left sour taste in my mouth if you ask me...

USFSff
04-24-2010, 2:34 PM
Ok well at least I know what I have to do... thnx for the quick answers... Im not gonna drill it myself being that all our "precision equipment" was moved to my bros house in riverside... and hand drilling or the press i have now wont cut it for me.... Just upset cuz my free time is gonna be restricted comming up next week...:mad::mad:

Noobert
04-24-2010, 2:35 PM
Ok well at least I know what I have to do... thnx for the quick answers... Im not gonna drill it myself being that all our "precision equipment" was moved to my bros house in riverside... and hand drilling or the press i have now wont cut it for me.... Just upset cuz my free time is gonna be restricted comming up next week...:mad::mad:

If you have a drill press, and calipers it is very easy to do

GM_77
04-24-2010, 2:38 PM
Same thing happened to me but on two Kaiser Lowers so I feel your pain man I really do.

I drilled my hole out with a hand drill but there already was a little bit of a hole so it was easy for me to get it right. Looks like you'll have to center it somehow and make sure it goes down straight.

Probably less of a pain in the A to do it yourself than going back down to their shop and asking them to fix.

Really just too bad man :( Make it right then have a beer!

Koolpsych
04-24-2010, 2:54 PM
I would just go back and return it. If you try to drill a hole and do it in the wrong spot, doesn't fit correctly, ect. they probably would be less inclined to take it back.

mikezz
04-24-2010, 2:56 PM
Manufacturer should fix it for you, last year I was missing a buffer retainer pin hole in my lower, eventually they took care and fixed it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=189276

I really know how you feel. But just like GM_77 has said, make it right and have a beer.

dieselpower
04-24-2010, 2:57 PM
The hole could be under the pistol grip, on the opposite side from the selector detent hole.....I have heard of this before and IIRC its an UPGRADE to the old design. It makes swapping stocks easier

Take the pistol grip off and look.

USFSff
04-24-2010, 3:09 PM
U da man Dieselpower! there it is!!!!

ParallaxTactical.com
04-24-2010, 3:12 PM
STOP. Do not drill anything.

Check under the pistol grip. They made a version where it was on the bottom.

USFSff
04-24-2010, 3:15 PM
I feel like an @** now...my bad... where is my "staples button" that was easy!

dieselpower
04-24-2010, 3:19 PM
No worries man. I wish more manufacturers would do this. Its a innovative and intuitive design change.

USFSff
04-24-2010, 3:33 PM
I have never heard of this before...then again I am new so go figure...anyhow..this was supposed to be an FDE build, but I cheaped out and went with the stag stock and grip...but Rifle gear was out of stock anyways...and it can always be changed out in the future... now Im just gonna hunt around for a good deal on an upper...If I can find a used one in the $300 range ill swoop it up...otherwise im gonna wait for a "quality" upper...

jtyner
04-24-2010, 6:32 PM
+1 on parallax's advice. Aplinker (if I remember correctly) told me that he had one of these JD lowers where the rear takedown pin detent was held in by the pistol grip.