PDA

View Full Version : Law Enforcement Gun Release (LEGR) Program

Choptop
02-27-2006, 2:37 PM
Lookie what I found.

Information on the Law Enforcement Gun Release (LEGR) Program

On January 1, 2005, the Law Enforcement Gun Release (LEGR) process became effective with the addition of Penal Code (PC) section 12021.3. This process requires any person who claims title to any firearm that is in the custody or control of a court or law enforcement agency and who wishes to have the firearm returned to submit a LEGR Application form for a determination by the Department of Justice (DOJ) as to whether he or she is eligible to possess a firearm.

LEGR Application Submission Process

Individuals seeking the return of a firearm(s) that is in the custody or control of a court or law enforcement agency must submit a LEGR Application along with the appropriate fees to the Department of Justice (DOJ). A firearms eligibility check will be conducted to determine if the applicant is lawfully eligible to possess firearms. A notice of the results will be sent to the applicant. The notice must be presented to the court or agency within thirty (30) days of the date of the notice. Failure to do so will result in the need to submit a new application and fees and undergo another firearms eligibility check.

Submission requirements and processing fees are available on the Law Enforcement Gun Release (LEGR) Application. DO NOT use any other firearms transaction form or PFEC application to apply for a LEGR.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/legrinfo.htm

C.G.
02-27-2006, 3:01 PM
Yes, that has been talked about. I believe, that there is a $25 fee associated with each firearm, whereas it used to be free.

6172crew
02-27-2006, 4:03 PM
Should the Miltipas crew fill out the form?

HEUER
02-27-2006, 4:10 PM
500 lowers @ 25.00 is 12500.00. :(

rodgster
02-27-2006, 7:25 PM
I could be wrong as I am not a lawyer and if I were, I am not your lawyer and this is not legal advise.

That said.

I could have sworn the DROS meant Dealer's Record of Sale. I take that to mean the sale has taken place, the item paid for and the 10 days waiting period has been entered. Therefore it seems reasonable that the buyer (owner) would file the LEGR with the DOJ and therefore pay the $20.

Note: in the application it states that if claiming only long guns you do not need to provide any firearm description. Oh and fee is $20 + $3 for each additional handgun, nothing for additional long guns.

I would say it would be best to coordinate any and all filing.

Has anyone made a polite inquiry of ATF & it's opinion on this?

Perhaps 10th Amendment can chime in here.

kantstudien
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
To be honest, if I were the one of the owners of the "confiscated" lowers, I would call my local police department, DOJ, and ATF to report my lower as stolen. Maybe that way it will be guaranteed to be returned to you when it is "released" from custody? Does everyone have an assigned serial number?

rodgster
02-27-2006, 11:05 PM
To be honest, if I were the one of the owners of the "confiscated" lowers, I would call my local police department, DOJ, and ATF to report my lower as stolen. Maybe that way it will be guaranteed to be returned to you when it is "released" from custody? Does everyone have an assigned serial number?

again, I could be wrong as I am not a lawyer and if I were, I am not your lawyer and this is not legal advise.

I would be a little cautious about reporting the receivers as stolen since they were taken by DOJ "into protective custody" as the safe was not large enough to comfortably hold them all. I can't say that a statue has been cited for their continued detention.

Very puzzling.

I wonder if perhaps commerce codes and or penal codes are being violated by the Ca DOJ.

It would be hysterical if the ATF raided the Ca DOJ (like they did at Waco) to retrieve the property of the law abiding, tax paying voters of CA. :cool: