PDA

View Full Version : I got scammed in the marketplace forum :( Now in need of P238 Grips

enchantor
04-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Well I posted a for trade ad in the private firearm sales forum. I HAD a pair of new rosewood grips for my Sig P238. I made my first internet trading mistake ever, and totally skipped checking out someone who wanted to trade with me.

Member "Raze" offered to trade me his new blackwood P238 grips, just what I was looking for. I was excited to find someone who needed what I had and had what I needed. I failed to notice this member had a post count of 1, and no feedback. Had I noticed, I never would have traded, not without getting his grips first.

Anyway, I sent my grips out as agreed upon in PMs. He was supposed to send his out also, 04-19-10, USPS Priority. The day after I sent mine I finally realized the mistakes I had made and already knew I had been scammed. At this point my suspicions have been confirmed.

The point of this thread is primarily to remind everyone, even in a tightly knit forum such as ours, that jerk off internet predators still lurk among us. I let my guard down having become so comfortable trading here, and I was quick to fall victim.

And far secondary to that point, now I need a pair of P238 grips. Maybe someone with an extra set can cut me a bargain. I realize this is probably not likely, considering the P238 is off-list.

And to the member who scammed me, send the grips back no questions asked. Refer to the letter you should be receiving shortly for further details regarding the course of action I will be taking reference a criminal investigation.

77bawls
04-24-2010, 10:34 AM
There should be a minimum post count just to see the market place.

Johnny?
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
man the suck, I got scammed a couple of time long ago, never thought people will get scam on a gun forum.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Agreed.
This is one of the few forums I've been involved in that didn't require 50 posts (outside of off-topic) before allowing anything but read-only in the marketplace.

racky
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
oh man you got me worried. I just bought me a second reloading press from a guy in THR forum. He's been a member for years, but he has a post count of only 8. Hope i didn't get scammed :(

m1aowner
04-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes this should happen. Just like on other forums, to keeps the crooks away. Sorry man.

GunLover
Sorry to hear that you had some bad luck. I been through a couple of these types of transactions of e bay. Really pisses you off.
Good luck on your quest.

Colt-45
Never thought there would be scams at a gun forum considering there's gun involved :13:

ke6guj
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Agreed.
This is one of the few forums I've been involved in that didn't require 50 posts (outside of off-topic) before allowing anything but read-only in the marketplace.its been tried before, but the mods say it is too much work and doesn't work.

I know on another forum I had to post 50 worthless posts to see the marketplace. Did I really contribute anything with those 50 posts, not really. Would it stop a scammer, no, only a lazy one.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I think that you might be jumping the gun. I know that several members here can attest to the fact that I can be a flake and procrastinate sending stuff out. I always do do it though. Anyway, it hasn't even been a week. Who knows, it could be in today's mail. 1 post and no trader rating is a red flag but, everyone has to start somewhere. IIRC, I sent B.D.Dubloon a couple 10-22 mags when he first joined calguns. He was in a hurry for them so, I sent them before he sent payment. It worked out fine.

In another week, you should consider giving us the whole story including the address you shipped the grips to. I'm willing to bet that someone here lives close enough to pick up you grips and send them back to you.

m1aowner
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
You have an address? Local LE might be interested in someone who steals from online gunboards. Chances are this guy has other things he's not supposed to have. You do have a picture as proof those grips are yours. Might give it a shot. Did you really ship to Minnesota?

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't even know why you made the deal with the guy... Your the one who trusted some guy you don't know with NO feedback. Should have been smarter about it. If someone has no feedback they better have a decent amount of post for me to do a deal with them.

enchantor
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
You have an address? Local LE might be interested in someone who steals from online gunboards. Chances are this guy has other things he's not supposed to have. You do have a picture as proof those grips are yours. Might give it a shot. Did you really ship to Minnesota?

Yep, another red flag that I totally overlooked in my excitement of finding what I was looking for. I will be giving local LE a call and see if they can at least knock on his door for me. Here is his address, if someone gets a potential buy/seller/trader from here, beware....

Rick Haze
3835 Union Terrace Ln N
Plymouth, MN 55441

enchantor
04-24-2010, 10:59 AM

As some pointed out, this wouldn't be foolproof, but I agree... It would definitely help. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

enchantor
04-24-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't even know why you made the deal with the guy... Your the one who trusted some guy you don't know with NO feedback. Should have been smarter about it. If someone has no feedback they better have a decent amount of post for me to do a deal with them.

Yep, like I said, I made a mistake. Normally I check into it thoroughly. This time I didn't and look what happened.

enchantor
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I think that you might be jumping the gun. I know that several members here can attest to the fact that I can be a flake and procrastinate sending stuff out. I always do do it though. Anyway, it hasn't even been a week. Who knows, it could be in today's mail. 1 post and no trader rating is a red flag but, everyone has to start somewhere. IIRC, I sent B.D.Dubloon a couple 10-22 mags when he first joined calguns. He was in a hurry for them so, I sent them before he sent payment. It worked out fine.

In another week, you should consider giving us the whole story including the address you shipped the grips to. I'm willing to bet that someone here lives close enough to pick up you grips and send them back to you.

He stated when he would ship them, and was prompt about replying to my PMs before I shipped, I hope you're right, but I think chances are absurdly low at this point I will get my grips back, or the ones I was supposed to get.

Ducman
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I did a couple of trades here, since usually I'm the initiator I have them send the item for trade before I send them out.

i1800collect
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Yep, another red flag that I totally overlooked in my excitement of finding what I was looking for. I will be giving local LE a call and see if they can at least knock on his door for me. Here is his address, if someone gets a potential buy/seller/trader from here, beware....

Rick Haze
3835 Union Terrace Ln N
Plymouth, MN 55441

i would at least wait a little bit longer than a week before completely outing the guy and posting his address on a public forum...

halifax
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
its been tried before, but the mods say it is too much work and doesn't work.

I know on another forum I had to post 50 worthless posts to see the marketplace. Did I really contribute anything with those 50 posts, not really. Would it stop a scammer, no, only a lazy one.

Much like many CA laws that do nothing to stop a determined criminal. Those laws only serve to impede honest people. Caveat Emptor should be sufficient.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
i would at least wait a little bit longer than a week before completely outing the guy and posting his address on a public forum...
True.

4/19, it's only been 4 days.
He may have not shipped priority... may have just shipped parcel post which can take a week.
He may have also decided to wait until he received your grips before shipping his (that's one thing that makes me nervous about trade deals that aren't FTF and I won't do them... money, there's usually some kind of recourse available).

I shipped a motorcycle trunk to Minnesota a couple of years ago USPS and it took just over 2 weeks for it to arrive!

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Much like many CA laws that do nothing to stop a determined criminal. Those laws only serve to impede honest people. Caveat Emptor should be sufficient.
Okay, then how about having their iTrader rating link appear in bold red until they have 20-50 posts?
Still allows access, no impedance to the honest person, but provides (literally) a red flag to the other party.

Fjold
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
The other issue besides a post count of 1 and no I-trader feedback is the guy is from out of state.

But on the other hand, it's not even a week since this started.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm in no way defending Raze but, I find it interesting that after only 4 days since it was supposed to be shipped (from 3000 miles away!) many of you seem to have already passed judgement and convicted him. Every one of us started out here with a zero feedback! Most of us have managed to maintain 100% ratings. Those of us who don't have 100% ratings are much more suspect to me than those with no rating at all. At this point in time, I'd be more apt to enter into a deal with Raze than I would with ChrisO. Of course, that may change if I get new information about either of them.

BTW, since this transaction has taken place via the USPS, the Postal Inspection Service might want to know about it AFTER enough time has transpired to indcate mail fraud has actually taken place.

Ducman
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
+1 Jumping on the gun so soon, did he even receive your yet?

I'm in no way defending Raze but, I find it interesting that after only 4 days since it was supposed to be shipped (from 3000 miles away!) many of you seem to have already passed judgement and convicted him. Every one of us started out here with a zero feedback! Most of us have managed to maintain 100% ratings. Those of us who don't have 100% ratings are much more suspect to me than those with no rating at all. At this point in time, I'd be more apt to enter into a deal with Raze than I would with ChrisO. Of course, that may change if I get new information about either of them.

BTW, since this transaction has taken place via the USPS, the Postal Inspection Service might want to know about it AFTER enough time has transpired to indcate mail fraud has actually taken place.

CombatMP
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry to that, I hope you get the grips.

base64
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Hopefully this is just a delayed shipment or some bad communication. I'd really hate to think that some scumbags from out of state no less would seek out and try to thieve from this forum.

I'm pretty sure he can buy whatever he needs in MN!

rg_1111@yahoo.com
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
As times get harder your going to see more people flaking. Sorry to that your out a set of grips.

wilit
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Rick Haze
3835 Union Terrace Ln N
Plymouth, MN 55441

Since he as essentially refused payment by not sending the grips and since you sent it USPS, file a report with the Postal Inspector. They take mail fraud VERY seriously. Local LE probably won't do anything, but USPS will probably send a man with a gun and badge to his residence.

DannyZRC
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I had zero posts when I purchased something on the forum, from a seller with few posts.

granted, this was a firerarm and the transaction had to be face to face at a dealer, so the risk was greatly mitigated (except the long drive).

but still, a low post count is no guarantee of unscrupulous character or will to defraud.

bigthaiboy
04-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree, Calguns should have a minimum post count, to be posted outside of the marketplace sub-forums, before new members can view the marketplace area. I have seen so many people frequent the marketplace, with extremely low post counts except for posting in the marketplace. Often they are also the ones who do not follow forum rules because they have not taken the time to read any of them. It is clear they are just here to to buy and sell, and have no interest in CA's 2A community or the work Calgunners do to further the rights and educate gun owners in this State.

Using the marketplace should be a privilege to members, not an automatic right for anyone who registers and is only interested in buying or selling and is simply using Calguns the same way they use Craigslist.

humgunner
04-24-2010, 1:14 PM
name and address don't match.

http://www.whitepages.com/search/ReverseAddress?street=3835+Union+Terrace+Ln+N&where=55441

address is probably real. name is fake.

eccvets
04-24-2010, 1:17 PM
you should have paid him via paypal and had him pay you via paypal for the same amount. that way you can at least have some cash if you do get scammed and/or have paypal hold your cash as the item did not come.

AlliedArmory
04-24-2010, 1:23 PM
I would give it some more time. 5 days is not enough. Give it at least another week.

PewPewBob
04-24-2010, 1:27 PM

I'm not sure this wold work, one could just reply to every post they see...:chris:

ke6guj
04-24-2010, 1:30 PM
I'm not sure this wold work, one could just reply to every post they see...:chris:yup, it isn't that hard to burn 50 posts if you need to.

i1800collect
04-24-2010, 1:35 PM
yup, it isn't that hard to burn 50 posts if you need to.

hell, Dooly was able to do 99 posts in a day without breaking a sweat!

5shot
04-24-2010, 1:43 PM
If it's only been 4 days, and he's in MN, I'd give it another 4-5 days before I really got worried. Maybe he shipped it on the 19th. Maybe he got lazy and didn't ship it until the next day or so. And then there's the post office. "Priority Mail" is supposed to only take 2-4 days, but that's not always the case. I've mailed a lot stuff "PM" from So. Cal to Nor. Cal. It usually takes 1 day. But I've had a couple packages get "lost" in the mail and took 10 days from So. Cal to Nor. Cal.

xxsleepyxx
04-24-2010, 2:07 PM
I'm outside his house. He just came back from the grocery store. Let me know how you want me to do it.

bigthaiboy
04-24-2010, 2:12 PM
I'm not sure this wold work, one could just reply to every post they see...:chris:

yup, it isn't that hard to burn 50 posts if you need to.

If you go up to the member's list, and pull up ANY random page, you will find more than half of Calguns membership has somewhere between 0-3 posts. It is fine saying Calguns membership is up to 50,000, but in reality, if more than 50% have never contributed or made an effort in any way to the site, should they still have access to the free services (ie. the marketplace) offered on this site? Also, would we want to trust people buying and selling with us, if they are just going to be "here today, gone tomorrow" Calguns members?

The Fugitive
04-24-2010, 2:13 PM
did you get delivery confirmation? otherwise he could just say he never got it and said you never sent him anything.

bigthaiboy
04-24-2010, 2:16 PM
I'm outside his house. He just came back from the grocery store. Let me know how you want me to do it.

:smilielol5: LOL. I think I just peed a little bit.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 2:17 PM
If you go up to the member's list, and pull up ANY random page, you will find more than half of Calguns membership has somewhere between 0-3 posts. It is fine saying Calguns membership is up to 50,000, but in reality, if more than 50% have never contributed or made an effort in any way to the site, should they still have access to the free services (ie. the marketplace) offered on this site? Also, would we want to trust people buying and selling with us, if they are just going to be "here today, gone tomorrow" Calguns members?
Quite true.
One of the last forums I was involved in, they were flaunting 48,000 members, but if you sorted the user list by post count (it was enabled on that forum, along with join date), of the 550 or so pages of users, you were down to less than 200 posts by the time you got to page 10.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 2:19 PM
One through his crotch, one through her head.
If you can use one bullet and save me $5k, do it :D

Oh wait... wrong thread, that was supposed to have been a PM :eek:

thefinger
04-24-2010, 2:37 PM
I agree that OP needs to give this guy more time and hopefully there will some resolution to this. I have had a few problems with people expecting me to ship within one day of the deal and then filing a paypal claim or negative feedback when I don't meet that unreasonable expectation.

For most people, these forums aren't the #1 priority in their lives. It may take some people 2, 3, or 4 days to find time to ship your goods. That's because they aren't a retailer. Some people seem to expect the same service from someone on the forums as they do from a huge online retailer.

What I've learned is that communication is VITAL to make people comfortable during deals on the forums. Communicate at least daily letting the other party know what your plans are, and if they change at all. And always be as professional as you can be. Its easy to come off as rude or lazy in PM's if you aren't thorough.

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 3:05 PM
ChrisO
Good advice to the OP and based on your feedback I wouldn't deal with you unless you had a very good explanation for this ;)
Seller agreed on a price, then took another higher offer.

Haha. Thats fine and dandy and I really don't care... Not that I need to explain this to some chump BUTTT I agreed on a price IF AND ONLY IF the buyer could meet me halfway at a FFL I chose, The buyer would not meet me halfway so I told him I would not drive all the way to him to do the deal. So the guy got bitter and left me negative feedback. I did not sell the gun at a higher price I ended up trading it to a guy who was very cooperative and could meet me at the destination I chose. I have never taken anyones money or have I ever cheated anyone. I also don't understand the need to bring my business into this like I'm the one who cheated the guy. I guess some people are just b*****s I dunno :rolleyes: .

Katana
04-24-2010, 3:06 PM
...communication is VITAL to make people comfortable during deals on the forums.True, that's why it's a good idea to get a phone number and call the seller before sending funds. That will help you to get more of a feel as to what kind of person you're dealing with.

Also, if computers go down it will provide another line of communication.

tankerman
04-24-2010, 3:33 PM
Quite true.
One of the last forums I was involved in, they were flaunting 48,000 members, but if you sorted the user list by post count (it was enabled on that forum, along with join date), of the 550 or so pages of users, you were down to less than 200 posts by the time you got to page 10.Yep, the 'member count' is waayyyy inflated, certainly not a reality, more of an advertising scheme. I looked at some supposed 'members' and find this frequently;
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=6684Invalid User specifiedThat 'user' is the member directly in front of me in the membership numbering.

thefinger
04-24-2010, 3:38 PM
This may be a good time to discuss more options for the way feedback is left on Calguns iTrader system. I hate to say it, but I really like the way arfcom runs things in their EE. It lets you leave positive feedback immediately, but requires you to start a public thread on a specific part of the forum if you want to leave bad feedback. In this "negative feedback" thread you present your case as to why the other party deserves a negative rating. The mods can asks for more evidence, and usually ask for the other party to present their side of the story. The mods are the only ones who can actually "pull the trigger" and give someone a "-1".

Just the other day this guy tried to leave me bad feedback for welching. But the mods asked for my side of the story and realized that the guy had raised his price from the price he originally advertised, and I had never agreed to that new, higher price. Their system takes more moderator effort, but it saves good members' reputations and forces people to explain themselves in situations where things go sour. I think a system similar to this would keep more people honest on the Calguns marketplace. I mean, it really has grown a lot in the past few years-- might be time to start cracking down more on users and enforcing the rules.

And as for the rules: Are these enforced at all really? Technically "clones" aren't even supposed to be sold on Calguns marketplace, but contributing members like Jeffu do this all the time with no problems. I don't really have a problem with clones being sold as long as they aren't being passed off as the real-deal, but I'd like some clear rules to follow.

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 3:45 PM
^^^ Mod didn't do s*** when I got left negative feedback from a bitter member even after pleaded my case to them, So I left the bitter member negative feedback and his got cleared. It's ridiculous people leave negative feedback just because sometimes.

Treb5
04-24-2010, 3:50 PM

I also agree...

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 3:53 PM
There has been threads talking about minimum post requirements for the sale section but nothing will probably be done about it. As said one can burn through post fairly quickly...

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 4:02 PM
There has been threads talking about minimum post requirements for the sale section but nothing will probably be done about it. As said one can burn through post fairly quickly...

There has been more than talk about it. There used to be a minimum post count before being able to post a FS thread. All that did was clutter threads up with useless comments even more than they are now.

SixPointEight
04-24-2010, 4:17 PM
name and address don't match.

http://www.whitepages.com/search/ReverseAddress?street=3835+Union+Terrace+Ln+N&where=55441

address is probably real. name is fake.

If I gave you my name and home address they wouldn't match either. House is in my mom's name.

True, that's why it's a good idea to get a phone number and call the seller before sending funds. That will help you to get more of a feel as to what kind of person you're dealing with.

Also, if computers go down it will provide another line of communication.

+1 on this. Especially in low-post situation.

Ranger20
04-24-2010, 4:24 PM
If it's only been 4 days, and he's in MN, I'd give it another 4-5 days before I really got worried. Maybe he shipped it on the 19th. Maybe he got lazy and didn't ship it until the next day or so. And then there's the post office. "Priority Mail" is supposed to only take 2-4 days, but that's not always the case. I've mailed a lot stuff "PM" from So. Cal to Nor. Cal. It usually takes 1 day. But I've had a couple packages get "lost" in the mail and took 10 days from So. Cal to Nor. Cal.

I also had an issue with the Post Office... took 8 days for a Priority mail from Michigan.. it got lost. When a dealer was sending my first Seecamp.

Hopefully you didn't get scammed... But a good lesson... either way.

Hope it works out for you...

crowbar1
04-24-2010, 5:33 PM
That sucks... Good luck to you.

nn3453
04-24-2010, 6:45 PM
Agreed.
This is one of the few forums I've been involved in that didn't require 50 posts (outside of off-topic) before allowing anything but read-only in the marketplace.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but I don't agree with this one. There have been times when I had something community specific to sell (like a custom rifle setup, which would have sold on snipershide in minutes), but the post count limited prevented me from offering it for sale. In the end, a guy from calguns bought it. So a calguns member benefited but a hide member did not because I had the rifle priced way below market. We all have to start somewhere.

The way to deal with low post count guys is to talk to them over the phone, ask for references and not send them anything in trade unless they send it to you first.

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 7:09 PM
There has been more than talk about it. There used to be a minimum post count before being able to post a FS thread. All that did was clutter threads up with useless comments even more than they are now.

I thought I remembered that but wasn't sure because I remember having to have 50 post before posting in the sale thread but thought maybe I was thinking of another forum...

Packy14
04-24-2010, 7:22 PM

Well..keeping 100% is actually hard..because when a punk screws you over and you give negative feedback, they retaliate w/ bad feedback. Next time, i'm just going to hurt them, and leave their feedback ok ;)

sd joe
04-24-2010, 7:27 PM
Why is 50 posts such a magical number in determining the honesty of an individual? There will always be some trust as well as risk involved when buying or selling through a public forum online. If you are worried about getting taken advantage of, buy from a retailer. Then again, who hasn't been screwed by a retailer. I recently started an account with Cal Guns specifically to sell some scopes that I had. I was able to get rid of them and other members got a good deal. If a minimum post requirement was in effect neither would have happened.

Joe

bsg
04-24-2010, 7:54 PM
i really hope this thing works out for you....

-Brady

konata88
04-24-2010, 8:17 PM
It would be nice if USPS, UPS, Fedex etc offered an escrow service. Since the USPS is looking for revenue, maybe this could be a need they could fufill. Or maybe a biz opp for someone

jmlivingston
04-24-2010, 8:18 PM
Technically "clones" aren't even supposed to be sold on Calguns marketplace, but contributing members like Jeffu do this all the time with no problems. I don't really have a problem with clones being sold as long as they aren't being passed off as the real-deal, but I'd like some clear rules to follow.

This was an addition to the rules that was just made roughly a week ago. Since then I don't believe that we've received a single complaint about clone products.

John

battleship
04-24-2010, 8:32 PM
Package might be at the postmans house back in MN, it happens.

lehn20
04-24-2010, 8:39 PM
Damn, I am glad to see all the clone products go!. Hate that airsoft scheisse.

And

I hope you get your grips......

Turbinator
04-24-2010, 9:24 PM
ChrisO & Argonaut, I'll be sending you both PM's to ask about your situations.

Oh - and to the OP - let's give the guy a few more days before we try taking any further action.

Turby

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 9:27 PM
Thats fine. I know PLENTY of calgunners that would tell you that I'm a stand up guy and would NEVER screw anyone over. Some people are just bitter. There are a few things I would never do and it's lying,stealing,and screwing someone over. I'm a man of my word and like I said I agreed on a price IF the buyer would cooperate. Agreeing on a price does not mean I said sold! He was not cooperative AT ALL so he did not get the deal! It's as simple as that. There are PLENTY of members here who have got negative feedback from one bitter member for some BS.

Turbinator
04-24-2010, 9:29 PM
Thats fine. I know PLENTY of calgunners that would tell you that I'm a stand up guy and would NEVER screw anyone over. Some people are just bitter. There are a few things I would never do and it's lying,stealing,and screwing someone over. I'm a man of my word and like I said I agreed on a price IF the buyer would cooperate. Agreeing on a price does not mean I said sold! He was not cooperative AT ALL so he did not get the deal! It's as simple as that. There are PLENTY of members here who have got negative feedback from one bitter member for some BS.

See my PM - will wait for your reply.

Turby

goathead
04-24-2010, 9:45 PM
its happen to me my wife sent(a item) it out for me and didnt get a sign copy return they said they never got, live and learn

Trapper John
04-24-2010, 9:50 PM
I don't know why the minimum post count discussions always make me mad. I shouldn't read them. I've been a member since July '08 and a reader for a long time before that. My post count is in the 20s, so to a lot of you that makes me ineligible to even read the marketplace let alone trade there. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go back and make a list of those who so dislike people with low post counts. That way I would know who not to buy from. I'm sorry but I have this bad habit of not saying anything when I have nothing to say. Enough of a rant, sorry.

+1, +100, I agree, yep with him, BTT, etc

John

Z ME FLY
04-24-2010, 9:54 PM
I would wait a little bit longer, like goat said live and learn. Next time maybe try to figure out if you two will ship it the same day and provide each other with tracking #s? I get weird sometimes too about shipping stuff so don't worry.

ChrisO
04-24-2010, 10:06 PM
When I ship I always provide tracking for ease of mind and ask that others do the same when I make a buy or trade. Oh and Turby PM has been sent.

Shady
04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I agree that OP needs to give this guy more time and hopefully there will some resolution to this. I have had a few problems with people expecting me to ship within one day of the deal and then filing a paypal claim or negative feedback when I don't meet that unreasonable expectation.

For most people, these forums aren't the #1 priority in their lives. It may take some people 2, 3, or 4 days to find time to ship your goods. That's because they aren't a retailer. Some people seem to expect the same service from someone on the forums as they do from a huge online retailer.

What I've learned is that communication is VITAL to make people comfortable during deals on the forums. Communicate at least daily letting the other party know what your plans are, and if they change at all. And always be as professional as you can be. Its easy to come off as rude or lazy in PM's if you aren't thorough.

i second that

elSquid
04-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Agreed.

I disagree. There have been a couple of low post count persons who have posted stuff I've been interested in. Sadly, they've all been in socal. :(

But seriously, caveat emptor. Always. Personally, I'm quite capable in evaluating potential transactions. I don't need arbitrary rules to "shield" me.

Besides, post count really doesn't mean a whole lot. Does 50 mean "trustworthy"? Nah.

Anybody who really wants a min count rule has an easy option: just don't buy anything from anybody with a post count lower than "x". Everyone can choose their own value for X, and I don't have to be subject to it. Everybody wins!

:D

-- Michael

Rob454
04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Instead of a minimum post count why don't they make the for sale forum pay for use? Savageshooters does that
I'm willing to bet it will stop cold all the 1 post members who just wanna sell that one something
I mostly (95%) of the time I only so FTC sales and anything online it's with members from this site with a few posts to their belt

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't know why the minimum post count discussions always make me mad. I shouldn't read them. I've been a member since July '08 and a reader for a long time before that. My post count is in the 20s, so to a lot of you that makes me ineligible to even read the marketplace let alone trade there. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go back and make a list of those who so dislike people with low post counts. That way I would know who not to buy from. I'm sorry but I have this bad habit of not saying anything when I have nothing to say. Enough of a rant, sorry.
Post count, time on the forum, or a combination.
The 20-50 post is just something to throw out there since that's how other forums do it... but some other forums also require 90 days regardless of post count.

I wouldn't suggest blocking the MB from read access to new members... that's one of the assets of the forum and something that I would be happy to show a 0-post 1st day member.

tonelar
04-27-2010, 12:51 AM
OPIs your .380 Sig really gripless? I have the factory black plastic ones that I'd only need if I sold my P238.
PM me if you want 'em.

EscapeFromCal
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
And we wonder how our state ended up with all these useless laws that diminish our quality of life. Its simple guys, BUYER BEWARE. Rules, Rules, Rules.......... I am SICK of them. If something goes wrong, I know who to blame......... MYSELF. Nobody else. :chris:

berto
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Post count means squat. It's easy to game a minimum post count system.

Some people join only to buy or sell. Doing so runs counter to the community feel of calguns but to each their own. I got an incredible deal from a guy who joined just to sell and others have as well. Closing the marketplace to people who don't meet an arbitrary requirement that does little to prove trustworthiness is unnecessary and ill advised.

enchantor
05-01-2010, 6:00 AM
OPIs your .380 Sig really gripless? I have the factory black plastic ones that I'd only need if I sold my P238.
PM me if you want 'em.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, tho Sig was nice enough to get some plastic panel grips sent out.

As an update, I have not gotten the grips in trade, and I can confidently say I got scammed.

Ballistic043
05-01-2010, 6:34 AM
dude i cant believe that. you out of all people would not check someones itrader!! oh well, sucks for the person who ripped you off as we both know.

remember when i made a similar mistake with my BM2k and what happened? never saw it again

weqo
05-01-2010, 6:55 AM

+1, +100, I agree, yep with him, BTT, etc

John

i'm in the same boat as john but my post count is even less.. to the point where it would seem i'm inactive. most of the time, when i read a thread, what i want to say has already been said by someone else, so i simply don't say anything. i've had, i think, about 5 successful transactions in the marketplace, though only 2 people have left feedback. normally, i wouldnt post just to say i agree

but damnit, i agree! lol

tonelar
05-01-2010, 7:22 AM
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, tho Sig was nice enough to get some plastic panel grips sent out.

As an update, I have not gotten the grips in trade, and I can confidently say I got scammed.

Sorry to hear it. If it's worth anything to you- get some G10 checkered grips for yours. Mine feel better'n the factory wood grips.

kduly
05-01-2010, 7:39 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad Sig was able to get you the replacement grips. I'll keep an eye out for you for a set.

Z ME FLY
05-01-2010, 8:31 AM
OP,
Please post the person usrname so no one else will fall for this.

thanks

i1800collect
05-01-2010, 8:36 AM
OP,
Please post the person usrname so no one else will fall for this.

thanks

Post #1 and #13

Username: Raze
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=54093

TabooAR
05-01-2010, 9:40 AM
i'm in the same boat as john but my post count is even less.. to the point where it would seem i'm inactive. most of the time, when i read a thread, what i want to say has already been said by someone else, so i simply don't say anything. i've had, i think, about 5 successful transactions in the marketplace, though only 2 people have left feedback. normally, i wouldnt post just to say i agree

but damnit, i agree! lol

I guess we will have to start posting 'I agree' and '+1' or something similar. :rolleyes:

Cokebottle
05-01-2010, 12:53 PM

but damnit, i agree! lol
Sigh....

Not strictly post count (though some forums do that), but a combination of post count and time on the forum.

Someone looking to scam people isn't going to create an ID and then wait 3-6 months before they try to sell something and repeat the process every time an identity get a bad reputation.

What I like about our iTrader is that is not only gives a number, but a percentage. iTrader rating of 25, but with a 50%, means there's a lot of unhappy customers ;)

rkt88edmo
05-02-2010, 8:20 AM

but damnit, i agree! lol

Thats pretty sad, I would send a follow up PM to the people who didn't leave you feedback and ask them to do so.

enchantor
05-06-2010, 4:16 PM
Just as an update, I never got my grips from the guy. Sig pulled through and got me a replacement set of plastic panels, so kudos to them.

windrider
05-06-2010, 4:46 PM
but that means you have their address right?

bsg
05-06-2010, 6:20 PM
enchantor it is a disappointment that the disposition on this is as it is; a great part of this forum is the support and fellowship that gun enthusiasts can obtain here. to be victimized by a fellow member....

-Brady

dfens
05-06-2010, 7:05 PM
I say this is a learning experience for everyone you can never be to cautious or careful.

Since we are buying and offering for sale on a forum where anyone can view it or reply you have to on your toes.

I 'm very hesitant about buying and sending a check or what not for something I saw on a forum. Usually I'll take the risk it it's not to expensive and never had any problems. I'll usually try to do it FTF if they are close by.

Checking post count, join date, location etc is some of the steps just to start.

A while back on a car forum I ordered some no longer made brackets for my new japanese factory style bumper. Was excited to find them and for a fair price, sent the payment delivery confirmation and a USPS money order. He was only in LA. He never got it, checked with the Post Office was never delivered or cashed. Postmaster got involved and it mysteriously turned up they said it was lost temporarily for over a month.

Got his money I got my parts. But if I didn't take some steps to protect myself I would have been SOL.

I don't know trading something for something is not for me just to much risk, I would have to receive my item first. But even though I'm a stand up guy the other party has no idea what kind of person I am.

Of course this guy should get what's coming to him, what ever the law allows. So guys remember the Mods can only do so much their isn't as much protection say as Ebay etc.

mjpjr
05-06-2010, 7:43 PM
And we wonder how our state ended up with all these useless laws that diminish our quality of life. Its simple guys, BUYER BEWARE. Rules, Rules, Rules.......... I am SICK of them. If something goes wrong, I know who to blame......... MYSELF. Nobody else. :chris:

I have to agree with this one. Why should more rules be made and innocent people punished because someone made a mistake. No offense meant to the op, but HE made a mistake. Didnt check post count or itrader rating. And then ship out to an out of state address and still not see any red flags? Sucks that he got ripped off and I hope the *** that did it gets what he deserves. But there are already things in place to prevent this from happening, the op just didnt bother using them. I have only seven post, I guess eight now and have bought things from the marketplace. Honestly, marketplace is the first part of this forum I visit daily. If for nothing else the great gun porn. I dont post much because every question I have had so far has already been answered, and every answer I have has already been posted and agreed to numerous times. As gun owners in California, I am surprised to see how many people are ready to pass new rules to punish innocent people because someone wasnt thinking or using the safety devices already provided. How many stupid gun laws are out there for this same reason? Please, no new rules to protect peoples right to be ignorant. Even the op said it was his mistake for not seeing the red flags until after he shipped.

RT13
05-06-2010, 11:27 PM
This is sad, but Calguns has it's true calgunners and those who enter the forum only to be opportunistics or troll or both. But karma is a ***** when it catches up with you.

Crank1000
05-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Pretty ballsy to try to scam someone you KNOW owns guns. Hopefully this guy has a serious kaboom and isn't wearing glasses.

enchantor
05-07-2010, 8:47 AM
Bottom line is if I had pulled my head out of my *** this wouldn't have happened to me. I got excited I found the hard-to-find item I was looking for and I should have known it was too good to be true. Nonetheless, I hope the a-hole who got them gets what he deserves, whenever that may be. For now I'm pretty content with the standard factory grips I got from Sig which really helped me just shrug this one off and put the lesson I learned in my toolbox. Check 'er out I think they look pretty damn good...
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/fricketech/IMG00291-20100507-0941.jpg

davhed
05-07-2010, 9:01 AM
That's a sweet look!

It sucks to have to "live and learn" like this, but it looks like things have worked out alright.

+1 to Sig for coming through like that.