PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question re: equipping stripped lower

gunnery
04-24-2010, 9:55 AM
I'm basically a pistol guy, but have always wanted an ar-15.

Being that I'm on a bit of a budget, I have bought a stripped
lower (spikes tactical).

I'm looking at various parts for the lower receiver.

Any suggestions on trigger groups? Timney or Chip McCormick?
Or are there other drop-in trigger assemblies that are just as
good and cheaper?

Or is it just as easy to buy the lower receiver parts packet and
assemble the trigger etc. myself?

Pistol grips: are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks for any advice.
I'm not really in a hurry to buy anything as I'm under the "ten day waiting period" for the receiver anyway.

pacrimguru
04-24-2010, 9:56 AM
start off with a lower parts kit. it includes the trigger and a standard a2 grip. that's all you need when you're beginning. shoot it and upgrade as you go along for best results.

barthel
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Rock River Arms and Stag lower parts kits are good starters. You can even decide if you want a two stage trigger or not.

I got the Stag, love it and it was easy to put in.

Ishoot
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
+1 on the RRA trigger. Good enough for a starter AR, especially on a budget. Welcome to the madness. :)

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Ditto.
LPK is an LPK, with one caveat... DPMS LPKs tend to include oversized roll pins that can be difficult to insert. The bolt catch can be a bit of a pita, but any "damage" that your tooling causes can be touched up pretty easily.
The rear trigger guard pin is the nasty one though... if the lower is not properly supported when you drive the pin through, you can easily break the mounting ears.

Personally, I go with the Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard and mount it with 5/40 screws... eliminates that roll pin completely.

pacrimguru
04-24-2010, 10:19 AM
people often talk about the DPMS LPK's negatively. i have built 15+ lowers using DPMS kits and have not run into a single problem with them.

Timmay
04-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I used M and A parts lower parts kits in all my and friends builds. They all worked great and you have a no pistol grip option. Saves you a few bucks if your buying an after market grip. I used a DPMS LPK for my fathers build and it worked fine.

77bawls
04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
If you get a timberwolf tactical LPK you will need to modify the disconnector for it to work.
I used a pair of channel locks to insert the trigger guard roll pin.

gunnery
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I have a C-more sight that was mounted on one of my pistols.
I assume that this sight would work adequately and could
be mounted on some sort of rail setup on an ar-15 upper?

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
I have a C-more sight that was mounted on one of my pistols.
I assume that this sight would work adequately and could
be mounted on some sort of rail setup on an ar-15 upper?
No reason that it wouldn't work, as long as it can handle the recoil of the 5.56 cartridge.

Go with a flat-top upper without the A2 front sight base and run flip-up BUIS front and rear.