PDA

View Full Version : 12 Day Waiting Period?

choprzrul
04-24-2010, 5:35 AM
It just occurred to me that my 10 day waiting period ends on Sunday, May 2nd @ 3pm. The trouble is, the dealer I used is closed on Sundays and Monday. This means that I will have to wait until the morning of the 4th to pick it up.

Is there any provision in the law to pick up at close of business on day 9 if the store is closed on day 10? I know, wishful thinking, but I have to ask.

Lone_Gunman
04-24-2010, 5:39 AM
Nope. You gota wait. Bummer.

geeknow
04-24-2010, 5:42 AM
Is there any provision in the law to pick up at close of business on day 9 if the store is closed on day 10? I know, wishful thinking, but I have to ask.

no provision there...but it would be awesome if there was.

choprzrul
04-24-2010, 5:50 AM
Crap, this is approaching a 2 week waiting period! I really hate this state at times.

RomanDad
04-24-2010, 6:57 AM
Bought it on a Thursday huh?

elrcastor
04-24-2010, 7:24 AM
It's 240 hrs, end of story.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 7:44 AM
You knew that when you made your purchase. Whats the big deal?

Sheepdog1968
04-24-2010, 7:44 AM
I've known people who have shown up on day 10 two hours earlier from when they've bought it and have had to come back. Dealer can get in trouble when ATF goes through their books. I know one place that did something else that was legal but there was an eager DA who heard about it. Dealer was totally in the right but when all was said and done in cost him $20,000 in legal fees to deal with the BS. As such, I can understand them being over cautious.

leelaw
04-24-2010, 7:47 AM
I've known people who have shown up on day 10 two hours earlier from when they've bought it and have had to come back. Dealer can get in trouble when ATF goes through their books. I know one place that did something else that was legal but there was an eager DA who heard about it. Dealer was totally in the right but when all was said and done in cost him $20,000 in legal fees to deal with the BS. As such, I can understand them being over cautious.

The ATF does not even look at DROS paperwork. DOJ would be the ones making an audit of the 10 day waiting period.

halifax
04-24-2010, 7:53 AM
It's 240 hrs, end of story.

Not in this case.

(As noted, not ATF's purview)

But, I suppose all an eager LEO would need to do would be to sit in the parking lot until a customer walked out with a firearm, then go in and check to see the DROS. It could be a big bummer for the dealer if it's too early.

Big Jake
04-24-2010, 7:55 AM
The 240 hour wait period begins the time the DROS process is initiated. There is an actual time with minutes and seconds that is printed on the DROS paperwork.
240 hours from that time is when you can legaly pick up the gun!

RobG
04-24-2010, 7:59 AM
What can you do? No provisions for the dealer not being open when the 10 days is up.

Big Jake
04-24-2010, 8:04 AM
What can you do? No provisions for the dealer not being open when the 10 days is up.

Unfortunately not! :(

Deadpool
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
The local shop in my area got in trouble for releasing a gun 3 minutes early.

corrupt
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM
They barely let us have guns in this state as it is, what makes you think they'd write any kind of convenience in the law for us? Hahahaha.

bigcalidave
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Sometimes I don't get the impatient thing. You know it's ten days when you buy it. They tell you the day you can pick it up. We all have lots of other guns (mostly)... The waiting period sucks in general, but we deal with it. What I like to do is put down the minimum the store will take to sell me the gun and start paperwork, then come in on day 10 and pay the balance AND walk out with the gun!! It makes me feel like I got to buy it and not wait for it! :)

dirtyJ
04-24-2010, 1:04 PM
Up here, if your pick up day falls on a day or time that we're not normally open, just give us a call and make an appointment, we'll gladly open up for a pick up. (this assumes we're not at a gun show or something that weekend)

choprzrul
04-24-2010, 1:07 PM
Up here, if your pick up day falls on a day or time that we're not normally open, just give us a call and make an appointment, we'll gladly open up for a pick up. (this assumes we're not at a gun show or something that weekend)

A fine example of what superb customer service looks like. Kudos to you sir.

liketoshoot
Sometimes I don't get the impatient thing. You know it's ten days when you buy it. They tell you the day you can pick it up. We all have lots of other guns (mostly)... The waiting period sucks in general, but we deal with it. What I like to do is put down the minimum the store will take to sell me the gun and start paperwork, then come in on day 10 and pay the balance AND walk out with the gun!! It makes me feel like I got to buy it and not wait for it! :)

Oh I like that!!! :p

Flogger23m
no provision there...but it would be awesome if there was.

Big 5 accidentally put 14 days for me for my Mosin. :rolleyes:

Always check before you leave. Was not so bad for me, because the 14th day was the soonest I could get it anyways.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 1:27 PM
Chino Hills Turners is back to the old Turners policy that DOJ spanked them on a few years ago... 11 days.

gbp
04-24-2010, 2:01 PM
it seams that a lot have gone to p.u 11 days anytime, rather that 10 at say 2:21pm
no issues here

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 2:12 PM
it seams that a lot have gone to p.u 11 days anytime, rather that 10 at say 2:21pm
no issues here
While I don't have a problem with it, it is still illegal.

The law says "10 consecutive 24-hour periods"
That's 240 hours, and unless the business is closed, not one second longer for a REQUIRED wait.
The customer has 30 days to pick up or they have to re-DROS.

I can understand why they say "11 days"... so they don't have to tell the customer "Sorry, you have to come back in 5 minutes/hours... but the law does say 240 hours.

Apparently not all Turners have this policy. The Covina manager is a Calgunner and he stands behind 240 hours.

Brianguy
04-24-2010, 2:16 PM
Big 5 made me wait 11 days

Meaneng
04-24-2010, 4:06 PM
Bought at Gun Vault in Mountain View at 4:21 pm. Picked it up 10 days later at 4:45 pm. No problems or delays.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 6:37 PM
Why can't a store have an 11 day policy? I don't see a problem with the law reading 10 days and a bussiness deciding that they won't release it until the 11th day IF they are up front about it. You, as the customer, are free to not buy a firearm from a bussiness if you do not like their policy.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 8:15 PM
Why can't a store have an 11 day policy? I don't see a problem with the law reading 10 days and a bussiness deciding that they won't release it until the 11th day IF they are up front about it. You, as the customer, are free to not buy a firearm from a bussiness if you do not like their policy.
Like I said, I don't have a big problem with it, but Turner's was told to knock it off by the DOJ at one point.

Rudolf the Red
04-24-2010, 9:03 PM
I am open "by appt. only".

You may get your gun in 10 days, but it will most likely be 12-14 because I primarily deal Friday to Sunday. I am willing to work with people in extraordinary circumstances. Like the guy from Trinity Center which is 2 hours by road but 15 minutes by air. (There is an airstrip literally across the street from my house) He flew in on his 10th day, walked up, signed, and flew away.

At my business, it is anytime after 240 hours and sometime before 720. No one complains because I save them cash on the barrelhead. :cool:

RobG
04-24-2010, 9:04 PM
Why can't a store have an 11 day policy? I don't see a problem with the law reading 10 days and a bussiness deciding that they won't release it until the 11th day IF they are up front about it. You, as the customer, are free to not buy a firearm from a business if you do not like their policy.

The issue is the store implies that the law states 11 days, which it is not. Now, if they want to say the law is 10 days but, we have our own policy in that we still won't give you your gun for another day, then its up to the buyer to make a decision whether or not he wants to make the purchase.

CenterX
04-24-2010, 9:25 PM
There were 2 stores in the SF Bay Area that used to push the 11 days last summer. They are now at the 240 hour mark. One was selling the free lock as well - they don't do that any more either. So the DOJ may have said something to them.

By the way Norse Armory is top notch in customer service. Right off the I-5 and CA 113 intersection. Convenient for some folks and they attend the local shows too.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 9:26 PM
Now, if they want to say the law is 10 days but, we have our own policy in that we still won't give you your gun for another day,
Which, in actuality (depending on store hours), could be anything from 253 hours to 264, depending on when you made the purchase and when you attempt pickup.
If you got in under the wire at 8pm closing time to buy and picked it up at 9am when they open, then it's only 13 hours over the requirement... and might be anyways if they happen to close at 7 on what should be your pickup day.

Like I said... it's not a big deal to me, I buy on impulse and pick up when work schedule allows. My waiting period on the Enterprise group buy lowers will be either 14, 21, or 28 days depending on when I can get back to the shop after my 10 days are up.

But when the shop just flat out says "California 11 day waiting period", it's misleading.
I know WHY they do it... I just don't agree with how, and at least at one time, the DOJ felt the same way.

nn3453
04-24-2010, 9:29 PM
But, I suppose all an eager LEO would need to do would be to sit in the parking lot until a customer walked out with a firearm, then go in and check to see the DROS. It could be a big bummer for the dealer if it's too early.

LEOs have actual work to do. Like fight crime and write up people for traffic violations. That kind of stuff is something that the DOJs guard dogs do.

Cokebottle
04-24-2010, 9:30 PM
One was selling the free lock as well - they don't do that any more either. So the DOJ may have said something to them.
That's an entirely different topic, and can be blamed on the poor wording of the Ca laws.

Federal law simply says that every handgun shall be "furnished with" a locking device.
California says that the lock must be accompanied by a receipt indicating purchase within the last 30 days.
The "free" lock is by default a part of the primary receipt for the gun, but a few FFLs are so paranoid about covering their butts that they require one of the $5 locks be sold from stock.

SJgunguy24
04-25-2010, 6:29 AM
To the OP, don't feel too bad. There are some shops that would hit you with a 15$ per day storage charge for those days they're not open.

winnre
04-25-2010, 7:17 AM
I bought an AR15 yesterday and after all the paperwork was done I was told to wait about 14 days, something about their current license expiring. They will call me when the clock starts for real.

While I can wait, I'd have appreciated it if they told me before I purchased. Or toss in a box of ammo or something.

bigwhitetruck
04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Last year I ran into the same thing as the op, a 12 day wait. Now I do the math before I buy a gun, so I can pick it up at the end of 10 days

bigcalidave
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I bought an AR15 yesterday and after all the paperwork was done I was told to wait about 14 days, something about their current license expiring. They will call me when the clock starts for real.

While I can wait, I'd have appreciated it if they told me before I purchased. Or toss in a box of ammo or something.

That's when you go to another store, or don't pay anything up front. Now your money is in limbo... Why would you agree to that? Their LICENSE is expired??? Their FFL??? eeeeek.

FortCourageArmory
04-27-2010, 6:33 AM
Since we are closed Sundays and Mondays, if you buy a gun on Thursday or Friday, you will not be picking up your purchase until the 11th or 12th day. We let you knowup front and even apologize for the extra delay. Not much more we can do. All my guys shoot competitively so we're out shooting on the weekends. We also vend at alot of those events, so that's work too. That leaves Mondays as our onlty true "day off". How many of you would sacrifice your only day off? I bet not many. Not complaining, just explaining the reality of the situation.