PDA

View Full Version : Serbu Firearms' rifles

shooterx10
02-27-2006, 12:08 PM
For those of you who have a Serbu BFG-50 (or even the .510 DTC) how is the quality (workmanship) of the rifle as well as accuracy? I'm thinking of getting the .510DTC or even the fixed mag semi-auto if funds are available ($5K+ for the 50A).

I just got to get over the TOTALLY TUBULAR look of the BFG-50. :p

http://www.serbu.com/bfg50a.jpg

RRangel
02-27-2006, 12:15 PM
You can't go wrong especially for the price. I don't see how you could possibly be disappointed unless you want something magazine fed or semi.
Mark Serbu has an oustanding reputation.

If I had bought the Serbu first I probably wouldn't have spent what I did on different rifles.

The BFG-50 is a 1MOA rifles with the right shooter and ammo. The quality is great and they're awesome looking. I would highly recommend one if you want to keep your cost under $3000.00.

stevie
02-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Its Tubular Man...... Totally.......

Workmanship is good, but like you said, gotta get over that. I have not shot mine enuff to give an honest opinion. Recoil is surpising light for an 18 pound rifle.

badwolf
02-27-2006, 1:51 PM
The Serbu's quality is first rate, and Mark's a great guy to deal with to boot.

ldivinag
02-27-2006, 4:16 PM
the receiver i have so far, looks so INDUSTRIAL...

i'm trying to see if he can paint it. i'm thinking fuschia...

xenophobe
02-27-2006, 5:49 PM
The quality of the Serbu was pretty nice, but they were pretty flaky to deal with before the ban.

I'd much rather do business with Anzio Ironworks. The quality was superior and they were easier to get a hold of, kept to their shipping schedule better, and when you look at their Lightweight, it's just amazing.

Just my opinion of course....

50 Freak
02-27-2006, 6:43 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about "flaky" but I will presume you mean the "in 2 weeks" thing.

Yeah Serbu is a little "overoptimistic" about his time frames, but I have found him to be a good source for 50's. Remember it was Serbu that pioneered the low cost 50 bmgs.

Before him, you couldn't find a 50 (a non-build it yourself) rifle less than 3-4 thousand. Serbu effectively lowered the prices on 50 cals.

I know, I was a "50 freak" before years before I even owned a 50. Serbu was one of my firsts.

I ended up trading my Serbu so I could get the UM-50 cause I really wanted a mag fed rifles. But I did buy his semi receiver and when he finishes building it, I'll be a proud owner of Serbu Semi.....:D

stevie
02-27-2006, 6:47 PM
Go 50A...:p

mrkubota
02-27-2006, 7:46 PM
For those of you who have a Serbu BFG-50 (or even the .510 DTC) how is the quality (workmanship) of the rifle as well as accuracy? I'm thinking of getting the .510DTC or even the fixed mag semi-auto if funds are available ($5K+ for the 50A).

I just got to get over the TOTALLY TUBULAR look of the BFG-50. :p

I have one of the original BFG-50 rifles shipped (#15)
At the time, both the Armalite and Serbu companies were entering the low-cost 50bmg market and I first ordered the AR-50. After months of delays due to manufacturing issues... I happened across the offer of the BFG on the old eGroup forums. Even with the later start... Serbu managed to deliver his product first AND upgraded the trigger pack and brake within a few months of delivery as well!
Nevertheless, there is one other upgrade that cannot be done to the original design easily: the user replaceable sloped sight rails (mine's welded on)
This limits my range to about 1300yds with the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 scope.
So, if you buy 'used' be aware of this 'limitation' on the old Serbu. The new models all have the changeable rails. (carbine models too)

As to accuracy... the trigger as delivered is usually in the 4lbs range. It's been reported that the Bushmaster 2-stage trigger will work in the BFG, but I've never tried it, so consider it hearsay only.
Personally, after shooting more than 3000 rounds through mine, I've become accustomed to it, and accuracy with AMAX handloads is quite sufficient for me: Here's a pic of a recent target when I was running some projo comparison tests. 10 rounds AMAX at 100 yards.

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/asr_bfg_comp01.jpg

I've got a .50DTC version on it's way now and a couple of 'universal' receivers ready to be made into the semi versions too.

Serbu's still a 'small' outfit compared to the Barretts and Armalites, but he's always ultimately delivered a quality product that offers an excellent price/performance choice.

//Ben (a satisfied Serbu customer!)
http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ca_bfg50s.jpg

F-2_Challenger
02-27-2006, 8:20 PM
I don't know what to say about Mark. He sounds like a great guy on the phone but I mean wtf. I am tired of the delays, and the uneducated promises on when the **** is going to get done. I mean come on guy quit hiring the hot secretary and boinking her and do your dam job and make my rifle already. Great idea, I bought a receiver, and I am still waiting for something that was said to be ready in summer of last year. He might make a good rifle, but so many empty promises is just plain bad business. I WANT MY 50A SOON!!!!

Rant off.

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I've got a EDM arms windrunner 50 cal. very nice gun

I shot a serbu once. Standing up and it was very very cool. If i did not get a steal of a deal on the edm. (3200 bucks) then i would have bought the serbu!

stevie
02-28-2006, 4:10 AM
Good price on that Windrunner...... The 50A will be worth the wait, I heard just another 2 weeks!!!!! ;)

shooterx10
02-28-2006, 8:41 AM
Mark made a 50A receiver? How much did that cost and when did he offer that for sale? I wonder if that will cost more to build than forking out the $5000 outright when the BFG-50A debuts?

Is this the hot secretary you are talking about? :D

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/cheryl_bfg_shot06.jpg

stevie
02-28-2006, 8:59 AM
The Universal receivers can be used to make the 50A.

No, that is the lovely Mrs. Prince holding the 50A.

F-2_Challenger
02-28-2006, 5:05 PM
He went through like 3 of them last year. How do you know about the eta on the 50A? I have heard nothing. Where did you get your info? Is it reliable? Finally if that is the case well .................................... NOW I LOOK LIKE A TOTAL JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

I would prefer to look like a jackass then to have to wait another 2 years for my rifle.

F-2_Challenger
02-28-2006, 5:06 PM
I've got a EDM arms windrunner 50 cal. very nice gun

I shot a serbu once. Standing up and it was very very cool. If i did not get a steal of a deal on the edm. (3200 bucks) then i would have bought the serbu!

I got a 408 from Bill, just picked it up yesterday........NICE is all I have to say. I can't wait until I get to go shoot it on the 11th of march.

C.G.
02-28-2006, 5:09 PM
I got a 408 from Bill, just picked it up yesterday........NICE is all I have to say. I can't wait until I get to go shoot it on the 11th of march.

This post is useless without pics and a detailed range report (cause I've been eyeing those!). :D

stevie
02-28-2006, 5:29 PM
The 3 weeks is sarcasm!!! ha :eek:

sv_sniper
02-28-2006, 5:40 PM
Indeed, Mark makes excellent rifles.

However, I am the owner of a Ferret F-50. It's so heavy (30 something pounds), it's so huge (51" long for upper half only).:)

50 Freak
02-28-2006, 6:00 PM
I have the UltraMag-50 mag fed bolt action upper.

It is made by Walter (Welder-boy of past Serbu fame). Serbu designed it and UltraMag makes them. But they are what I like to think...a more refined BFG.

As for the BFG-50A, Mark Serbu made the receivers available to us Californians prior to the 50 ban. Just so we could register them. They will be built up later when Serbu goes into full production of the BFG-50A. Which will be in 2 weeks.:D

The prototype at the ShotShow was just that. A working prototype. If you guys could pull your eyes away from the girl, you will notice the actual gun doesn't even have iron sights on it yet.

stevie
02-28-2006, 6:44 PM
What iron sights? Thought it needed a rail.. hehe... Girl? Where??

RRangel
02-28-2006, 7:17 PM
You know what's funny? It really took two weeks to get my Serbu.

mrkubota
06-24-2011, 5:23 AM
The new BFG50a rifles are finally shipping! :)
Get those receivers out of mothball....check with Prince50 about a bullet-button.

http://www.serbu.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=707

http://www.serbu.com/images/06172011.jpg

bollero
06-24-2011, 6:05 AM
6700 wow that's pricy..... EDM windrunner 408 better?

mrkubota
07-01-2011, 5:58 AM
6700 wow that's pricy..... EDM windrunner 408 better?

The Windrunners are nice (in .50cal or .338), but are not semi-auto like the Serbu 50a.
The Serbu 50a is gas operated, so it competes more in the Barrett 82a market at a lesser price point and with better accuracy since it doesn't use a recoiling barrel like the 82a.
EDM's been working on a new version of the Pauza semi-auto, but it's still not in production.

hawaii five-0
07-01-2011, 8:47 AM
I have owned both the standard length and carbine Serbu in both BMG and DTC.They are the best "bang for your buck".Accurate,simple,ergonomic.The carbine has significantly more recoil than the standard length,in my opinion.Mark delivered a market changing product with this rifle.As for the semi auto.....

762.DEFENSE
07-01-2011, 9:32 AM
Great company, and product line. Especially since the introduction of the .50 DTC round for CA Residents.

Divernhunter
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I have nothing against the Sebru rifles. I shoot one and was happier with my AR50 and Viper rifles I bought. I also did not like the sewer pipe look of the one I shot. Maybe they look different now. But they were well built but cruder looking.

If you like it buy it. They are fun.

brando
07-01-2011, 1:57 PM

It's a great rifle, especially combined with an RND barrel shroud/bipod assembly:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/BDoggBrando/ELR/408_07.jpg

Unfortunately these days, there's really not a good enough reason to go with a .408CT over a .375CT, except the fact that Bill still won't make barrels for it.

Damiiaaannn
07-01-2011, 2:12 PM
Not to thread jack, but where can you buy 510 DTC ammo at?

ke6guj
07-01-2011, 3:05 PM
Not to thread jack, but where can you buy 510 DTC ammo at?

PM mrkubota