PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Play?

Blownmotor
04-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I recently got a new Magpul MOE stock and it has quite a bit of play between the stock and the shaft it rides on (even when it's locked into position). Is this normal because my buddy's standard AR collapsible is very tight. Thanks in advance. :)

AlliedArmory
04-24-2010, 1:21 AM
I have seen both. My MOE was sturdy as a rock, but have seen some that wiggle a lot. I ended up sticking with the CTR as it locks into place.

darkest2000
04-24-2010, 1:49 AM
No it's not normal.

There are two different size buffer tubes available in the market: commercial spec (larger dia.) or milspec (smaller dia.)

Magpul makes stocks for both commercial and milspec tubes and you're probably using a commercial size stock on a milspec size tube. Replace your stock with the correct milspec version and that should cure your problem.

Your stock should come with a sheet that explains the difference and how to identify which type of tube you have, which helps determine the right size you need.

Blownmotor
04-24-2010, 2:09 AM
No it's not normal.

There are two different size buffer tubes available in the market: commercial spec (larger dia.) or milspec (smaller dia.)

Magpul makes stocks for both commercial and milspec tubes and you're probably using a commercial size stock on a milspec size tube. Replace your stock with the correct milspec version and that should cure your problem.

Your stock should come with a sheet that explains the difference and how to identify which type of tube you have, which helps determine the right size you need.

Thanks for the info I didn;t know that. The stock came with the rifle I bought new at the gun store so no sheet.

AlliedArmory
04-24-2010, 4:14 AM
Even if you have the correct buffer tube/stock size, sometimes it isn't super tight.

liberty08
04-24-2010, 6:35 AM
I ordered a CTR stock and received an MOE by mistake from the seller. I tried it on my rifle because I was going to consider keeping it and ask for a partial refund but the wobble, although slight, bothered me so much that I exchanged it for the CTR.

CrippledPidgeon
04-24-2010, 8:05 AM
Pretty much all collapsible stocks are going to have some play in them. Stocks like the CTR have an additional friction lock to remove most of the play once the stock is locked in place, but magpul eliminated that feature from the MOE to reduce the price.

Basically differences in fit that you see between different stocks are more likely because of differences in tolerances between stocks and buffer tubes. Nothing much you can do about that.

evidens83
04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Stock wiggle should be normal.

zman
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
The MOE stock has wiggles in varying degrees. The CTR pretty much eliminated that with the friction lock.

Blownmotor
04-24-2010, 6:03 PM
I just got a LMT stock and there is minute to no wiggle. It made the magpul one look cheap.

tomd1584
04-24-2010, 8:26 PM
Yep, sometimes the MOE will have play, thats why its cheaper than the CTR. they took locking feature away to reduce the price.