PDA

View Full Version : Help with new AR build (UPDATE: going to build different upper)

professorhard
04-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Hey guys so I am looking to put together a new AR-15 CA compliant rifle and would like your input on which parts to use. I am pretty set on the configuration but am always open to suggestions. The hardest decision I have left is which stock to go with.

Here is what I am looking at:
Lower:
-Spikes Tactical SL-15 w/ American flag etched on magwell
-Standard LPK
-Magpul MIAD grip
-Magpul enhanced trigger guard
-Magpul BAD
-Magpul ASAP sling plate
-Magpul MS2 sling
-Raddlock for compliance
Cant decide which stock to go with: HELP
-Magpul UBR (to help even out the weight of 12.0 rails)
or
-Magpul CTR (to keep it light)

Upper:
-BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
-Daniel Defense LITE 12" rails
-perm attach PWS FSC COMP
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20ddl12.htm
-BCM auto BCG
-Troy BUIS (HK style front)
-Aimpoint T-1 Micro w/LaRue tall mount
-Magpul AFG

This is how its looking for right now but I always appreciate input from fellow calgunners on how to make it better. Thanks!

UPDATE:
Alright well I have gotten tired of waiting for the BCM 14.5 mid-length upper to be in stock so I think I will just build my own. Here is what I am looking at:

-Vltor VIS Extended MID Length upper receiver w/ Bolt Assist & Shell Deflector (M4) 10"
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-VIS-Extended-MID-Length-p/vltor%20vis%20-%202a-%202ak%20mid%20length.htm
-Daniel Defense 14.5" Hammer Forged Barrel w/ FSB (Don't need the FSB but couldn't find a better deal)
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD10196
-VLTOR Low Profile Gas Block GB-2S (steel with set screws)
-Primary Weapon Systems FSC556 Tactical Compensator
(will be perm attached)
-Mid-length gas tube
-BCM auto BCG
-BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch

Is there anything else I am missing here? Haven't build a complete upper before so maybe I'm forgetting something. Appreciate your input, let me know what looks good and what I should change.

WILDMAN442
04-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Hey guys so I am looking to put together a new AR-15 CA compliant rifle and would like your input on which parts to use. I am pretty set on the configuration but am always open to suggestions. The hardest decision I have left is which stock to go with.

Here is what I am looking at:
Lower:
-Spikes Tactical SL-15 w/ American flag etched on magwell
-Standard LPK
-Magpul MIAD grip
-Magpul enhanced trigger guard
-Magpul BAD
-Magpul ASAP sling plate
-Magpul MS2 sling
-Raddlock for compliance
Cant decide which stock to go with: HELP
-Magpul UBR (to help even out the weight of 12.0 rails)
or
-Magpul CTR (to keep it light)

Upper:
-BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
-Daniel Defense LITE 12" rails
-perm attach PWS FSC COMP
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20ddl12.htm
-BCM auto BCG
-Troy BUIS (HK style front)
-Aimpoint T-1 Micro w/LaRue tall mount
-Magpul AFG

This is how its looking for right now but I always appreciate input from fellow calgunners on how to make it better. Thanks!

Just from personal preference and opinion, I would run the ikickhippies SLAP plate and a Tacstrap. Which can both be bought from the same website. The guys are members here and make AWESOME stuff.

As far as the micro, imagine a roll of quarters, thats how big the tube is. Ifthats your deal, then cool man. If its not then run an M3 or something similar.

Everything else looks kosher though man. Looks like you thought it all out. I would run a CTR cause the UBR is a TANK!!!

Justin

professorhard
04-24-2010, 9:04 AM
Just from personal preference and opinion, I would run the ikickhippies SLAP plate and a Tacstrap. Which can both be bought from the same website. The guys are members here and make AWESOME stuff.

As far as the micro, imagine a roll of quarters, thats how big the tube is. Ifthats your deal, then cool man. If its not then run an M3 or something similar.

Everything else looks kosher though man. Looks like you thought it all out. I would run a CTR cause the UBR is a TANK!!!

Justin

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into those

Reno
04-24-2010, 9:23 AM
Looks like a nice setup. I would go for the CTR cause the UBR is a beast and that upper is very light. The 12" rail hardly adds any weight and you are running a very short barrel. IMO you need a 16" min stainless (heavy profile) barrel to require a UBR for balance.

Might want to get on the e-mail list at BCM. Those uppers sell out fast!

zman
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
If you like "nose to charging handle" cheek weld, go for the UBR.

I would like to add that the UBR would be higher in the COOL factor too :)

professorhard
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks like a nice setup. I would go for the CTR cause the UBR is a beast and that upper is very light. The 12" rail hardly adds any weight and you are running a very short barrel. IMO you need a 16" min stainless (heavy profile) barrel to require a UBR for balance.

Might want to get on the e-mail list at BCM. Those uppers sell out fast!

That's what it seems like they do sell really quickly and have been out of stock for awhile now. Any way to know how long until they get back in stock? If it takes straight months and months I might just build my own

pacrimguru
04-24-2010, 11:37 AM
your set up looks good. i'd go with the asap and ms2 personally.

as for stock, the UBR is on the heavy side and is good for balancing out heavy front end uppers. being that you are building a 14.5" with a 12" lite rail, you won't necessarily need that heavy of a stock. it does offer a nice cheek weld though.

the CTR stock is more suitable for a lightweight carbine build, which yours appears to be. it's a great stock, except the cheek weld is a bit lacking.

in the end, if you were to choose between the 2, it really comes down to weight. if you don't mind a heavier rifle, then go with the UBR. if you want to go as light as possible, go with the CTR.

GM_77
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM
If you are set on a 1pt sling and going with the ASAP then you might think about going with the MOE. Its almost the same as the CTR except it doesn't have the quick detach for a sling, which you won't need since your sling will be connected to the ASAP.

professorhard
04-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I will be running a CTR stock instead of the UBR. Now if BCM could just get those damn uppers in stock...:censored:

professorhard
05-20-2010, 1:28 PM
BUMP----UPDATED

professorhard
05-20-2010, 6:25 PM
Anyone? how is the VLTOR VIS upper?

professorhard
05-21-2010, 4:46 PM
No opinions on this fellow CGNers?