PDA

View Full Version : Threaded Barrel Mini 14

SockPuppet
04-23-2010, 11:42 PM
I have a mini 14 in factory condition, and i want to move the front site post back an inch and put threads on the barrel to accommodate a muzzle brake.
is this legal?

pMcW
04-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I have a mini 14 in factory condition, and i want to move the front site post back an inch and put threads on the barrel to accommodate a muzzle brake.
is this legal?

Flowchart seems to indicate that is OK, I think...

You have to make sure that what you have is really a brake and not a flash-hider/suppressor, but otherwise I think it would be OK to have the threaded barrel.

There's a problem with threaded barrels, but that must be a pistol thing?

77bawls
04-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Yes but you can't put on a flash hider, and barrel length has to be more than 16" and overall length has to be at least 30".

77bawls
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Correct, you can't have a threaded barrel on a handgun, rifle is okay.

SockPuppet
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
alright, this has never made sense to me. my brake has to be threaded on and has holes all across the top section. the purpose is to vent some of the gases up and backward in order to dampen recoil a bit.
it does nothing to suppress the sound or flash. how do i tell/prove the difference?

77bawls
04-24-2010, 12:10 AM
A flash hider will either kill the flash completely, which typically would be a silencer, or it will not have any flash come out the top of it. The CADOJ says a flash hider is used to keep the flash out of the shooters vision so they can have an uninterrupted view of the target.