PDA

View Full Version : OLL and Colt upper question

Hank Dodge
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
After shooting the Appleseed shoot this last weekend, I'm interested in maybe building up a CA legal AR. I have access to a Colt Match HBAR upper that I can get from a friend for a good price. What OLL would I be able to mount that upper on? Am I correct that with a fixed stock, bullet-button, and ten round mags it would be a legal configuration?

chavez27
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Yes that is a legal configuration. And as for mounting it on any lower, you should be able to do so, granted the pin holes are the same size/diameter.

Hank Dodge
04-24-2010, 8:33 AM
I know that Colt played around with different size pins in their receivers when they changed from "AR15" to "Sporter" in the mid 80's. I thought that the pin sizes only changed on the trigger group. Did they use different size pins on the mounting points of the upper as well?

After shooting the Appleseed last weekend with a bunch of folks using their CA legal "AR" builds, I saw that there might actually be a use for one of these. I have not had any interest to this point in one due to all the BS surrounding those rifles in CA. I do like the platform and would own a couple different configurations if they were legal here. At this point, I'm just looking to see what it would take to set one up as a target rifle by using an upper that I could get at practically no cost to me. It might be worth buying a legal lower to put together a neutered version for match use.