PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions for military personnel?

fonionrings
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
First off I want to just say I know nothing about this, unfortunately my Google-fu is also weak and I couldn't find an answer to this.

So let's pretend I have this friend, and this friend is a Marine. Let's pretend this friend has an AR15. Assuming this rifle is NOT a featureless rifle, is a bullet button required on his rifle? Is he allowed to use 30 rounders he brought back from Iraq?

And just to clarify, any 30 rounder in a bullet button'd rifle is ILLEGAL in all cases, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Rob454
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes he has to have a bullet button
and I believe he cannot use. 30 rounders either if he did not OWN the 30 round mags before 2000 in California he could be charged with porting or possibly building illegal mags

tomd1584
04-23-2010, 10:55 PM
come on, you know better than this!

nothing bigger than 10 rounds in a bullet button rifle.

chavez27
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
yes he must use a bullet button on his rifle if it is NOT featureless. No he cannot use anything bigger than a 10rd magazine in an ar that is NOT featureless. and your clarification is correct.

**Look at the calguns flowchart. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Study it well. ALSO since you are talking about 30 rounders. use the search feature for hi capacity magazines.

Maybe somebody may contradict what Im about to type but the fact that he is a marine does not make him exempt from any of these bull**** laws. he must still follow the rules.

pMcW
04-23-2010, 11:20 PM
yes he must use a bullet button on his rifle if it is NOT featureless. No he cannot use anything bigger than a 10rd magazine in an ar that is NOT featureless. and your clarification is correct.

**Look at the calguns flowchart. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Study it well. ALSO since you are talking about 30 rounders. use the search feature for hi capacity magazines.

Maybe somebody may contradict what Im about to type but the fact that he is a marine does not make him exempt from any of these bull**** laws. he must still follow the rules.

Isn't there some sort of permit that active military can apply for? I seem to recall hearing about that before. (this guy must not have it though...)

Trey1191
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
ASSAULT WEAPONS Military Exemption - The DOJ allows active duty military members to apply for a DOJ Assault Weapons Permit during the course of permanent stationing in California. DOJ Business Rules, § 2.00, 15 February 2001. Active duty personnel wishing to keep their assault weapons during their stay in California must submit a completed application, two completed ten-print fingerprint cards, a copy of the official orders, military identification and a $73 application fee. All active duty members must register the firearm within 90 days. Permits must be renewed annually, until such time the permit holder’s active military duty in California is terminated. Members must keep the license on their person at all times when using the assault weapon, or at the place where the firearm is kept when not in use. Additional information is available in the Legal Office of your base.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=36695

old thread but I believe the info is still valid.

Francis Marion
04-24-2010, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=fonionrings;4176949]... Is he allowed to use 30 rounders he brought back from Iraq?
...QUOTE]

Your friend who risked his life in Iraq cannot legally bring back so much as a 30 round magazine for an M16.

Your friend can risk his neck so that an Iraqi may own an honest to God full auto AK (with one 30-round magazine), but will become a criminal if he tries to exercise similar rights here in the US with a semiautomatic rifle and standard capacity magazine. 30 rounds is not high capacity, it is standard capacity.

We, the fools, have elected the wolves who took our freedoms away, we are responsible for the fact that your friend has fewer gun freedoms right here in CA than an Iraqi in Baghdad.

IXMM
04-24-2010, 12:32 AM
only LEO can have an ar without BB.

Quiet
04-24-2010, 12:56 AM

Not true.

Jpach
04-24-2010, 2:00 AM
Your buddy either needs a BB and put 10rd mags in it or he needs to make his AR featureless to use his 30rders. Using the mags isnt illegal, but putting high caps in a BBd rifle is. So just go featureless.

mydogsmonkey
04-24-2010, 2:04 AM
only instance BB and ar-15 is legal is if the gun is a registered assault weapon, probbaly not your case

Plisk
04-24-2010, 8:58 AM
only instance BB and ar-15 is legal is if the gun is a registered assault weapon, probbaly not your case

Unless I'm mis-understanding you, An AR-15 with a BB is NOT an assault weapon and therefore does not have to be a Registered one.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 9:06 AM

WRONG! Please learn the laws before you try to teach them. You can use the AW guide to get started.

gunsmithcats
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Jesus.
So much shoddy info.
If ur buddy is an active duty Marine with PCS orders in cali (pendleton? 29 palms? miramar?) he can apply for a MAWP military assault weapons permit.

Have him contact Sherry Carter, Manager of firearms licensing and permits unit at CA DOJ Bureau of firearms 916-263-8100. Tell him to nicely ask her for an application.

The MAWP is only good for however long he has orders in Cali. It must be renewed every year. Renewal is free but I dont remember how much initial app is. Hes going to have to get fingerprint done but u can do that at the base PMO for free.

Now, to keep himself in the clear, tell him to strip his AR apart (take off the upper) so that its not a fully functioning firearm and keep the parts separate UNTIL he gets the MAWP approved. Then he can put it back together and hes bueno. Or if he absolutely needs to shoot it. just buy a cheap *** bullet button and remove it once hes approved to possess an assault weapon.

As for the high caps, they were issued to him. Right? Right? Someone at work gave it to him. Right? Which means hes using it for occupational purposes. RIGHT? So he has no worries using them once his AR is a registered on the MAWP. Until then, dont break any laws. Like others said, possession of high caps aint illegal. ANd he didn't import ***** if he brought them back from Iraq because they were issued to him.
If that was the case, they'd be thousands of Marines, sailors, soldiers, and airmen in violation of california law.

Gluck. Also, if ur friend is going to be here a while, tell him to register any other assault weapons he may have (that are of course being kept out of state) and onces hes approved he can bring em in. Just don't bring in any high cap AK magazines, cause we know u aint issued those unless ur ricky recon.

Trey1191
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
initial cost is $73