PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan/Hesse .308 Lower Parts, bolt catch, etc...

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey guys,

Just got an email back from Vulcan about some HAR-25 questions.

I bought a stripped lower since they wanted 175 more for a complete lower assembly.

I was asking if they sold parts and about the bolt catch.
They said,
"Yes standard AR-15 parts kit works you also need, HAR25 front pin $12, HAR25 rear pin $12, HAR25 bolt catch (which is not the same as the Armalite, no last shot hold open) $18. We have not tried an Armalight bolt catch so I donít know if it will work or not. Ours use a different magazine so part of the follower that pushes up on the bolt catch is different"

Supposedily they advertise that the bolt does not stay open on last shot.
Well, if we use the correct magazine, replace it with an armalite follower, and an armalite bolt catch, i dont see why you could not get it to hold open on the last shot. Any ideas on this?

C.G.
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,

Just got an email back from Vulcan about some HAR-25 questions.

I bought a stripped lower since they wanted 175 more for a complete lower assembly.

I was asking if they sold parts and about the bolt catch.
They said,
"Yes standard AR-15 parts kit works you also need, HAR25 front pin $12, HAR25 rear pin $12, HAR25 bolt catch (which is not the same as the Armalite, no last shot hold open) $18. We have not tried an Armalight bolt catch so I donít know if it will work or not. Ours use a different magazine so part of the follower that pushes up on the bolt catch is different"

Supposedily they advertise that the bolt does not stay open on last shot.
Well, if we use the correct magazine, replace it with an armalite follower, and an armalite bolt catch, i dont see why you could not get it to hold open on the last shot. Any ideas on this?

That was my line of thinking time, will tell if we are right.
They must be using DPMS bolt catch, don't think they would be producing their own.

shopkeep
02-27-2006, 12:46 PM
That was my line of thinking time, will tell if we are right.
They must be using DPMS bolt catch, don't think they would be producing their own.

It's just going to take some trial and error with these puppies. They're newer and funkier than standard AR-10 lowers. I figure eventually we'll see some builds and hopefully we'll get an HAR-25 builder's FAQ put together.

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 12:50 PM
My question is, why would they they not try an armalite colt catch?

or as they say, armalight. lol

C.G.
02-27-2006, 1:38 PM
My question is, why would they they not try an armalite colt catch?

or as they say, armalight. lol

That particular style of a lower (Armalite) maybe patented; only guessing. So if they use a different mag then that should protect them from a lawsuit, maybe.

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 3:24 PM
I am wonder whose bolt catch hesse was using. They use dpms mags, im assuming dpms bolt catch?

C.G.
02-27-2006, 3:29 PM
I am wonder whose bolt catch hesse was using. They use dpms mags, im assuming dpms bolt catch?

I think I verbalized that about three posts ago.:D

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 3:36 PM
My confusion comes from dpms saying their .308 holds the bolt open on the last round. Hesse says their does not. I heard all hammers on an ar15 fit an ar10 and the bolt catch is held onto the hammer. Well, whos bolt catch should i try???
Hesse wont sell any parts. Now, im stuck either hoping a dpms bolt catch and dpms mag works or getting a m14 mag, modifing it with a armalite follower and using an armalite bolt catch...what do you guys think?

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 3:45 PM
I just asked:
The HAR-25 uses DPMS mags as you recommend, did you guys use the DPMS bolt catch too?

Now hesse tells me somethind different:
"We never did anything to these, we simply purchased them at auction. We just left the mag catch that was in the lowers in."

But they just told me in an earlier email that they have the bolt catch for 18 bucks, now they dont have it??

C.G.
02-27-2006, 3:53 PM
My confusion comes from dpms saying their .308 holds the bolt open on the last round. Hesse says their does not. I heard all hammers on an ar15 fit an ar10 and the bolt catch is held onto the hammer. Well, whos bolt catch should i try???
Hesse wont sell any parts. Now, im stuck either hoping a dpms bolt catch and dpms mag works or getting a m14 mag, modifing it with a armalite follower and using an armalite bolt catch...what do you guys think?

Unfortunately, take next few words as a guess only. From what I gather from posts here and ARF.com; they should take the Armalite modified mags, which are modified M-14 mags and originally did not have bolt open feature either until the Armalite modification. For some reason, Vulcan chose to use DPMS mags (patent reasons ???) and may have modified the well to accomodate them so the alignment for the DPMS is not correct or the DPMS catch is different enough from Armalite, where it will work to catch the bolt, but not on the last round.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/SSDriver/DSC01598.jpg
From these photos originally posted by SS Driver, it seems that the DPMS mags are sitting a little high.

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 3:55 PM
The reason hesse uses the DPMS mag is Armalite owns the patent on that mag catch from what i have read.

Can someone explain how the bolt catch works and where it is in the gun?
I wish i knew as much about these as i do about cars :-)

C.G.
02-27-2006, 4:13 PM
The reason hesse uses the DPMS mag is Armalite owns the patent on that mag catch from what i have read.

Can someone explain how his both catch works and where it is in the gun?
I wish i knew as much about these as i do about cars :-)

As I suspected. Would you have a link to where you found that info?
The answer should be obvious then, just use Armalite parts and mags.

BTW - bolt catch is the spring loaded thingy that partially sits on the mag, look at the diagram below:
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/lower.html

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 4:23 PM
Thank you, i see what you are talking about now. I'm assuming there is a part on the mag follower that hits the bolt catch and it springs up catching the bolt open...

Very good, I read on some site that the reason nobody uses armalite mags is because they own the patent on the mag catch. I'm sure that is the reason everyone uses other mag types since they own that style.

We will see but vulcan prob uses a DPMS mag/DPMS bolt catch, that is my best guess.

C.G.
02-27-2006, 4:51 PM
Thank you, i see what you are talking about now. I'm assuming there is a part on the mag follower that hits the bolt catch and it springs up catching the bolt open...

Very good, I read on some site that the reason nobody uses armalite mags is because they own the patent on the mag catch. I'm sure that is the reason everyone uses other mag types since they own that style.

We will see but vulcan prob uses a DPMS mag/DPMS bolt catch, that is my best guess.

You are welcome. If you see that thread again about the patent, I would appreciate if you would post it.

EBWhite
02-27-2006, 5:24 PM
This might be of some help:
http://www.biggerhammer.net/stoner/sr25var10/ar10vsr25.html

BOLT CATCH: The SR-25 employs the M-16 bolt catch. This device was designed to stop the small M-16 bolt carrier assembly, not heavier AR-10 bolt carrier assembly. The AR-10 bolt catch is larger and stronger than that of the M-16/SR-25 to function with the heavier AR-10 components. It is designed to automatically catch the bolt when pressed upward by the bolt catch trip in the follower.

MAGAZINE CATCH BUTTON: Identical to that of the M-16, except that it is somewhat longer to allow it to protrude from the side of the wide AR-10 lower receiver.

MAGAZINE CATCH: An improved, machined catch with a longer engaging surface to capture the magazine better, elimination of a bevel to prevent excess upward movement of the magazine, and a longer shaft to span the wider receiver.

MAGAZINE: The AR-10 magazine is based on the magazine of the M14 Rifle. The M-14 magazine is well proven and available in large numbers. It is both stronger and more reliable than that of early AR-10 and similar magazines. It is made in 10 round capacity.

The AR-10B magazine does not bear a latch plate on the rear surface like that of the M-14 magazine. The lower receiver, however, has a clearance cut up the back of the magazine well to allow insertion of an M-14 magazine. A 20 round M-14 magazine can therefore be modified to function perfectly in the AR-10. This modification requires changes to the feed lips cutting a magazine catch opening cutting a slot down the back of the magazine replacement of the follower with a new follower addition of a bolt catch trip and spring a slight change in the follower spring.

The most unique aspect of the ArmaLite magazine is the follower. A top surface similar to that of the M16 magazine has been combined with a form suited to the M-14 magazine box. A patented spring-loaded plunger has been installed in the follower. When the follower rises to the top of the magazine box, this plunger pops into the track at the rear of the magazine well and trips the bolt catch, thus holding the bolt carrier assembly to the rear.

The magazine will continue to function in the M-14 rifle, but will not trip the M-14 bolt catch unless the AR-10 follower is replaced with the M-14 follower. The latch plate at the rear of the magazine (which engages the M-14 magazine catch) may be sufficiently weakened by removal of its upper half that it breaks off, rendering the magazine usable only in the AR-10.

USING M-14 RIFLE MAGAZINES: The AR-10B magazine is based on the proven M-14/MlA rifle magazine. A good quality metal 20 round M-14/MlA magazine can be altered to work perfectly in the AR-10B. U.S. GI and imported Chinese magazines are acceptable. Commercial metal magazines with blue finish or pressed latch plates require replacement of the shell. Fiberglass magazines (i.e. Thermold, etc.) are totally unsuitable for conversion.

ArmaLite sells 20 round magazines when available. ArmaLite will provide converted magazines for a fee or on a 2-for-1-exchange basis. Magazine conversion kits allow a customer to convert all metal M14/M1A magazines and metric FAL magazines to AR-10B series magazines.

MAGAZINE INTERCHANGEABILITY: 10 round AR-10B magazines and converted 20 round M-14 magazines will not work in early AR-10/AR-10A rifles, or in the current SR-25 rifle. Magazines for those rifles will not work in the new AR-10B series rifles. Unless converted with the reversible magazine conversion kit, M-14/M1A magazines should not be used in the M-14 or M1A after modification.

C.G.
02-27-2006, 5:34 PM
Thanks for the link; not exactly what I was looking for, but still useable.

C.G.
02-27-2006, 5:45 PM
I found the answer:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=109411

Armalite's mags are patented.

Leadthrower
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
So would I be better off with using Armalite mags or DPMS ones on my stripped Hesse HAR-25?:confused:

EBWhite
02-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I am thinking the best bet is to use M14 (m14 magazines) if you got some preban 20 rounders
Use the armalite bolt catch and the armalite mag follower to make it hold bolt open on last round....

if you dont have 20's to modifiy, buy armalite 10 rounders (30 bucks ea) and the armalite bolt catch and you should be good to go...alteast im going to try that...

mrhappym1a
02-28-2006, 12:17 AM
The answer should be obvious then, just use Armalite parts and mags.

That's my plan.

I couldn't figure out why, if their lower was a direct clone of the Armalite lower, that there should be any interference problems.

Now we know. Trying to cobble a fix for something that wasn't broken.

Attack of the Hesse/Vulcan monkeys.

EBWhite
02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
LOL. they are monkeys.

We wont know until we try. i might be the first to put the money out, 30 bucks or so, it wont break the bank..anyways, im thinking the hesse is a duplicate of an armalite. just not as nice or good, but it willl work :-)

I'm thinking the dpms mag thing was b/c they would have gotten sued if they used armalites.

50BMGBOB
02-28-2006, 3:24 AM
I bit the bullet and got a complete lower. I figure I can always up grade parts. I know it will cost more in the long run but at least as soon as I can afford an upper I can shoot.

EBWhite
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Just ordered from Armalite, a front pivot pin (EA1112) $6, rear takedown pin (EA1113) $6, and the AR10 specific bolt stop (EA1100) $16....

The bolt stop buffer, spring, pin, etc are the same as an AR-15..

What trips the bolt catch according to armalite is a plunger assembly on the magazine follower. I've never seen one of these so i have no idea?? I think we are one step closer to making up for Hesse's poor idea lol

Mnort10x
03-15-2006, 2:04 AM
Just ordered from Armalite, a front pivot pin (EA1112) $6, rear takedown pin (EA1113) $6, and the AR10 specific bolt stop (EA1100) $16....

What trips the bolt catch according to armalite is a plunger assembly on the magazine follower. I've never seen one of these so i have no idea?? I think we are one step closer to making up for Hesse's poor idea lol

Who did you order from?

EBWhite
03-15-2006, 2:24 AM
I got the ar parts kit on gunbroker and the armalite parts from Armalite company...

mrhappym1a
03-15-2006, 1:51 PM

Darn. I wish Armalite would ship to my supplier so I can get my LPK and stock.

Anyway, I will post some pics of the mag and the plunger in question.

Please standby.
Bottom
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd34b3127cce97ea3ded2f1800000016108Eatm7JqxcW
Top with new follower
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd34b3127cce97ea3d40ae8500000016108Eatm7JqxcW
Plunger at rear of follower engages the bolt catch
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd34b3127cce97ea3d7d2f8800000016108Eatm7JqxcW

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd34b3127cce97ea3c80eedd00000016108Eatm7JqxcW

mrhappym1a
03-15-2006, 2:24 PM
Dang limits.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd34b3127cce97ea3c98eec500000016108Eatm7JqxcW
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd34b3127cce97ea3c30ee6d00000016108Eatm7JqxcW

EBWhite
03-15-2006, 2:55 PM
Approx how wide is that little black piece that catches on the bolt catch lever? is it thin enough to fit in the slot machined in the back of the magwell of the hesse?

mrhappym1a
03-15-2006, 9:14 PM
Approx how wide is that little black piece that catches on the bolt catch lever? is it thin enough to fit in the slot machined in the back of the magwell of the hesse?

Actually no, the plunger is wider than the slot in the Hesse. I don't have a LPK yet so I do not know if the bolt catch is long enough to be activated by the plunger. I guess you could widen the slot(uh, no), or trim the plunger. If it's neccessary that is.

I just realized that top loading with plunger equipped mags is going to be difficult. If the mag is fixed, the plunger cannot be pushed back into the mag. This will prevent the follower from going further into the mag. So loading the second round without some sort of modification or removal of the plunger is not going to happen. Oh well, using an Armalite mag is still better than some hesse duct tape fix.

Stupid CA laws.

SI-guru
03-16-2006, 2:44 AM

EBW,
Any idea what's the difference between Oversize takedown pin and standard takedown pin ?

EBWhite
03-16-2006, 3:03 AM
the diameter of the pin is larger on the oversize version. I would assume it is used in a situation if the hole on the lower need to be oversized b/c of damage

SI-guru
03-16-2006, 8:43 AM
Got it.
Thanks.

mrhappym1a
03-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Almost there! Upper showed up today.

I've got a buttstock kit and LPK on order. ANYONE KNOW OF ANY RETAILER WITH COMPLETE LPKS IN STOCK?

Got the upper used on Arfcom. Armalite AR10A2C. 16" infantry weight barrel w/A2 flash hider. Fit between upper and lower seem to be good.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd36b3127cce979c3a1c9faf00000016108Eatm7JqxcW
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd36b3127cce979c3afd1e7e00000016108Eatm7JqxcW
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd36b3127cce979c3a031e8000000016108Eatm7JqxcW
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd36b3127cce979c3afb1e7800000016108Eatm7JqxcW

mrhappym1a
03-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Strange choice to contour the lower different from the upper in one area. But it's purely cosmetic. Damn Hesse monkeys!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd36b3127cce979c3a109fa300000016108Eatm7JqxcW
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd36b3127cce979c3a009fb300000016108Eatm7JqxcW
But I suppose that I should be happy that I got this chance to stick it to the man!

EBWhite
03-18-2006, 2:24 AM
Mrhappy, damn those photos are making me all warm inside....LOL

Sweet rifle dude. Yes, hesse sucks and we know it...Atleast it is better than nothing. That mag, it looks like an m14, hows it work?

how much did you score that upper for?

EBWHite!

MsJamie
03-18-2006, 9:10 AM
Um, is that a flash suppressor on a lower with an unpinned magazine???

Edit: Oh, I see that the upper isn't actually attached. (No pins.) *Whew*

mrhappym1a
03-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Um, is that a flash suppressor on a lower with an unpinned magazine???

Edit: Oh, I see that the upper isn't actually attached. (No pins.) *Whew*

LOL!

Not only is it a flash suppressor on a lower with an unpinned mag, it's a 20 rounder! And no pins, no lower parts, no grip, etc.

Right now it's just a really expensive club.

Lower = $350.00
Upper = $550.00
Stickin' it to the man = priceless!

C.G.
03-20-2006, 7:36 PM
I can confirm previous post that the Armalite AR-10 uppers will fit just fine:
http://www.sailmontereybay.com/photos/Har-25_w_20.JPG

http://www.sailmontereybay.com/photos/Har_25_-_close_up.JPG

They seem a perfect fit, but I don't have my LPK yet.

filefish
03-28-2006, 11:29 PM
I bit the bullet and got a complete lower. I figure I can always up grade parts. I know it will cost more in the long run but at least as soon as I can afford an upper I can shoot.

I am on the edge of starting a .308 I was looking at the lower listed here. I am having a gard time finding uppers anywhere I would like to know where to look I keep geting dead ends I think there is one on gunbroker

please help

C.G.
03-29-2006, 2:14 AM
I am on the edge of starting a .308 I was looking at the lower listed here. I am having a gard time finding uppers anywhere I would like to know where to look I keep geting dead ends I think there is one on gunbroker

please help

Depends what you are looking for. There is a 26" AR--10 listed in the accessories right now. Anything else you might have to wait a while.

filefish
03-29-2006, 10:09 AM
it is to late or me, I have to have an ar-10

I want a tack driver

filefish
03-29-2006, 9:52 PM
it is to late or me, I have to have an ar-10

I want a tack driver

ok here is the plan: get a AR10 T Custom Kreiger 26" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31088) here on cal guns, then order a 10 rnd mag from armalite and a nm 2stage lpk from them as well, and if vulcan ever awnsers the phone I will get a hesse lower, put it all together, pin the mag and wammo! I have an ar10

the problems i am reading are:

1) i need to file down the mag?
2) I can only load 1 bullet at a time
3) the magazine may not fit in the lower

I am confused, maby i should just be happy with 5.56

C.G.
03-29-2006, 10:16 PM
ok here is the plan: get a AR10 T Custom Kreiger 26" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31088)here on cal guns, then order a 10 rnd mag from armalite and a nm 2stage lpk from them as well, and if vulcan ever awnsers the phone I will get a hesse lower, put it all together, pin the mag and wammo! I have an ar10

Word of warning, Armalite is out of AR-10 lower parts kits till middle of next month or so.

If you buy armalite mag, you shouldn't need to file it down, fit may be sloppy in the Hesse magwell but will fit.

I am not sure what you mean by loading one bullet at a time, if you mean single shot weapon that would be incorrect, you can put ten rounds into the magazine.

For that 26" upper you will also have to buy the bolt/carrier/charging handle, as the seller is not selling that with the upper.

EBWhite
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
ok here is the plan: get a AR10 T Custom Kreiger 26" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31088) here on cal guns, then order a 10 rnd mag from armalite and a nm 2stage lpk from them as well, and if vulcan ever awnsers the phone I will get a hesse lower, put it all together, pin the mag and wammo! I have an ar10

1) No the armalite mag fits fine.
2) no you can load 10 in at a time after cracking the action open
3) The armalite fits but is sloppy up front. The dpms needs to be filed but fits better side to side. I would use the armalite (lower cost) and possibly weld two small beads on the side of the armalite mag so it doesnt slop side to side in the front...

C.G.
03-29-2006, 10:42 PM
The armalite fits but is sloppy up front. The dpms needs to be filed but fits better side to side. I would use the armalite (lower cost) and possibly weld two small beads on the side of the armalite mag so it doesnt slop side to side in the front...

Have you fired yours yet with the Armalite mag and if so, does the bolt lock back on the last round?

EBWhite
03-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm still waiting on my upper. It will be another 60 days, backordered :-(

Unless someon has an armalite upper sitting around and would let me test fire :-)

C.G.
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm still waiting on my upper. It will be another 60 days, backordered :-(

Unless someon has an armalite upper sitting around and would let me test fire :-)

NorCal or SoCal?

BTW. I feel your pain, I am waiting for an LPK, got the rest.

filefish
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Have you fired yours yet with the Armalite mag and if so, does the bolt lock back on the last round?

I am just thinking that I would rather the bolt not be held as i have to release it anyway to load it and my ar15 uppers keep getting a ding behind the release from droping the bolt

C.G.
03-29-2006, 10:57 PM
I am just thinking that I would rather the bolt not be held as i have to release it anyway to load it and my ar15 uppers keep getting a ding behind the release from droping the bolt

But let's you know that you are out of rounds; if you are getting a ding there is something not right.

filefish
03-29-2006, 11:04 PM
But let's you know that you are out of rounds; if you are getting a ding there is something not right.

Hmmm now that you mention it...that only happens on my vulcan lower. maby i should take a dremmal to the back side of the release

50BMGBOB
03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I've got mine ready for an upper. Unfortunantly it will be Chrismas before I have enough for an upper.

C.G.
03-29-2006, 11:37 PM
I've got mine ready for an upper. Unfortunantly it will be Chrismas before I have enough for an upper.

There is a good upper here and it may go cheap:http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7317221&aa=%20%20%20ARMALITE%20AR-10%20A2%20COMPLETE%20TOP%20HALF

Or if you still don't have that much and want to sell your LPK, PM me, please.

Rumpled
03-30-2006, 12:18 AM
$550 buy it now?
If I had a lower, I probably would.

C.G.
03-30-2006, 12:21 AM
$550 buy it now?
If I had a lower, I probably would.

If I didn't have an upper already, I would have bought it, too.

EBWhite
03-30-2006, 12:39 AM
****, if it was an A4 id be all over it!

-hanko
03-30-2006, 12:43 PM
EBW,
Any idea what's the difference between Oversize takedown pin and standard takedown pin ?
The OS pin is larger in diameter...it's there if your upper-to-lower fit might be a little sloppy. Within reason, loosness between upper and lower is not a major problem.

-hanko

gidddy169
03-30-2006, 6:15 PM
Sold and not to me!
Here is a kit http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=46088486

50BMGBOB
03-31-2006, 12:20 AM
I've been saving for the AR10t upper. I'm hoping I'll get it next month but if it takes til Christmas so be it, I have the reciever in my safe so if they update, I'm covered.

gidddy169
04-02-2006, 5:02 PM
Just want to make sure I have all the right parts.
Armalite AR10 upper, AR10 bolt catch, AR10 front and rear takedown pins, AR10 buffer & spring and the rest of the LPK can be AR15 along with the stock? Does this sound right to everyone?

C.G.
04-02-2006, 5:57 PM
Armalite AR10 upper, AR10 bolt catch, AR10 front and rear takedown pins, AR10 buffer & spring and the rest of the LPK can be AR15 along with the stock? Does this sound right to everyone?

Here is the Armalite's page, items with asterisk are interchangeable with AR-15:
http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/223lowers.htm
Here is the AR-10 page:
http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/308lowers.htm

EBWhite
04-02-2006, 6:21 PM

Yup, your good to go with that setup-

A regular AR-15 a2 stock will work with the hesse also..

I heard around somewhere the ar-10 hammer is more heavy duty, you might want to buy that also. someone might be able to chime in on that.

gidddy169
04-02-2006, 8:41 PM
Thanks guys now I just need to get all these parts.

filefish
04-03-2006, 11:54 AM
EBW,

longer and bigger around

ok i just solved a bunch of my problems. i ordered a har-25 complete with pinned mag and a2 stock about $400 shipped. vulcan claims that a ar10t upper will work flawlessley on this lower as built. unfortunately I was planning on building my upper. i just picked up this D.P.M.S. BARREL (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=45829754) I do not think it will work with an ar10 upper. nice paperweight anyway now I need to find an upper

blacklisted
04-03-2006, 12:00 PM
longer and bigger around

ok i just solved a bunch of my problems. i ordered a har-25 complete with pinned mag and a2 stock about $400 shipped. vulcan claims that a ar10t upper will work flawlessley on this lower as built. unfortunately I was planning on building my upper. i just picked up this D.P.M.S. BARREL (http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=45829754) I do not think it will work with an ar10 upper. nice paperweight anyway now I need to find an upper

Did you notice that it doesn't have a barrel extension?

filefish
04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
shure but it looked prety cheep how much is a barrel extension? .308 looks like $59.95 (http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=308-bl-17) actualy looks like I got a nice deal as the 24" barrel is $299.95 (http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=308-BL-24) are you interested in it?

C.G.
04-03-2006, 1:07 PM
shure but it looked prety cheep how much is a barrel extension? .308 looks like $59.95 (http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=308-bl-17) actualy looks like I got a nice deal as the 24" barrel is $299.95 (http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=308-BL-24) are you interested in it?

Supposedly the DPMS barrel and extension will work on a Armalite upper. Read that on ARF.com. You might want to do a search there to see if the thread is still available.

filefish
04-03-2006, 1:49 PM
Supposedly the DPMS barrel and extension will work on a Armalite upper. Read that on ARF.com. You might want to do a search there to see if the thread is still available.

I think i may just wuss out and buy one ready to go, shure if I have a good gunsmith build it, I will probably save a few hundred and get a beter goup in the end. it seems that it may be a bit of a hassel

Santa Cruz Armory
04-06-2006, 5:36 PM
There is a good upper here and it may go cheap:http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7317221&aa=%20%20%20ARMALITE%20AR-10%20A2%20COMPLETE%20TOP%20HALF

Or if you still don't have that much and want to sell your LPK, PM me, please.

HAHAHA! SOLD ! to me! LOL!:D (well it was for my boss... ;O])

C.G.
04-06-2006, 5:56 PM
HAHAHA! SOLD ! to me! LOL!:D (well it was for my boss... ;O])

Good on you! I am still waiting for my LPK.:(

C.G.
04-08-2006, 8:50 PM

Found the link, in case anyone is interested:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=265951

filefish
04-09-2006, 9:03 AM
Did you notice that it doesn't have a barrel extension?

I just got it. it is very nice never been fired I think I am going to put it up in the gun accessorys...just not sure how much to ask

filefish
04-10-2006, 7:52 PM
EBW,

my complete hesse lower is out of drose today it has a standard trigger and an A2 stock, I will pick it up tomarrow. just need an upper :)

gidddy169
04-15-2006, 11:15 AM
So has anyone made the armalite bolt catch work with their hess lower? I just put one on mine but I had to file some of the lug down on the bolt catch that sits in the slot in the lower. I am not sure if the plunger from the magazine will be able to contact it now. I can't test it now either since I don't have a magazine. I guess I will have to order one when I order my bolt,charging handle and carrier. By the way I bought this parts kit. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=46088486

DHiggmo
04-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Let us know how every thing fits together :) .

snacks
04-17-2006, 2:07 AM
i''m interested now. Would like to know if it does function when complete since this may be the only way i can get an ar10

filefish
04-17-2006, 3:04 AM
well i need to get an upper and the one I want is around $1k 24" stainless egale ar10t with full floater

earchivist
04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Well I just took possession of my HAR-25 complete lower. I already had a Armalite 10 round magazine in anticipation. Yes the mag is somewhat of a loose fit in front. But of more concern to me is that the plunger on the Armalite follower gets in the way when it is mounted in the reciever. I can get one round into it then the plunger hits the slot in the mag body. I have a Hesse bolt release on the lower. Will a Armalite release change this situation? I don't have a upper yet, so I don't know how well everything will fit together. I would really like the bolt hold open to work, and be able to load the magazine!

gidddy169
04-25-2006, 5:22 PM
I just got my 10round mag in today and my bolt assembly and charging handle are in the mail. Now I have to decide what type of optics to put on it. I was thinking a simple leupold 3x9 or maybe just the detachable carry handle for the time being.

earchivist For the slop I was thinking about putting a bead of weld on the front of the magazine what do you think? Also the plunger does the same as yours sticks out and can't be depressed. That is fine for me though I am living the pistol grip off to use my m14 magazines.

How big is the factoy Hesse bolt carrier catch nub that sits in the slot in the recievers magwell? I used an Armalite one and had to grind most of it away to make it fit. I took a little too much off hopefully I can make it work.

Also I was thinking about modifying the plunger in the ar10 magazine so that it would fit in the small slot of the reciever or welding an extention on it to go in the reciever slot if it can be depressed far enough back into the magazine for loading.

Anyways not much help from me yet but hopefully it will get put together pretty soon.

Let me know what you guys think of my ideas.

Leadthrower
05-12-2006, 10:25 PM
So has anyone built-up a stripped Har-25 lower yet? I don't know which LPK to buy because I have a Armalite mag and want the last-shot hold. Sould I just stick with a Armalite LPK for the AR-10, or get a standard AR-15 LPK? I intend on buying a Armalite upper.:confused: :confused:

Mnort10x
05-12-2006, 11:03 PM
So has anyone built-up a stripped Har-25 lower yet? I don't know which LPK to buy because I have a Armalite mag and want the last-shot hold. Should I just stick with a Armalite LPK for the AR-10, or get a standard AR-15 LPK? I intend on buying a Armalite upper.:confused: :confused:

I have been working on mine for the last 2 months and just finished figuring out the last problem. Search on my posts and you'll see all my posts with details and photos related to this project. Works great.:)

Leadthrower
05-15-2006, 2:16 PM
Well I just took possession of my HAR-25 complete lower. I already had a Armalite 10 round magazine in anticipation. Yes the mag is somewhat of a loose fit in front. But of more concern to me is that the plunger on the Armalite follower gets in the way when it is mounted in the reciever. I can get one round into it then the plunger hits the slot in the mag body. I have a Hesse bolt release on the lower. Will a Armalite release change this situation? I don't have a upper yet, so I don't know how well everything will fit together. I would really like the bolt hold open to work, and be able to load the magazine!

So did the Armalite release work, or did you give-up on the idea?

C.G.
05-15-2006, 10:38 PM
So did the Armalite release work, or did you give-up on the idea?

The Arnalite bolt catch will fit into the lower with some mods, but will not hold the bolt open with Dpms mags. I might make a mod to the DPMS mags that I think would work.