PDA

View Full Version : If there were new CCW laws.....

Clinton
04-23-2010, 8:49 PM
I understand that an awful lot of CGN members live where getting a CCW permit is nearly impossible. All the talk of a win in the McDonald case seems to support that CA might have to take a second look at issuing CCW to more people. But how do you think that might be handled? Right now it's up to local LE agencies to issue. But, do you think that CA might come up with a state wide standard? I happen to live in a county where getting a CCW is pretty darned easy and I have one. While I would definately want everyone that is responsible and law abidding to have a CCW, I wouldn't want to lose mine due to the state mandating new standards. Do you think that everyone that currently holds a CCW permit would be allowed to keep it? Sort of a "grandfathered" in type of thing? Or, would the state yank all permits so everyone was held to the same standard?

OleCuss
04-23-2010, 8:56 PM
Understand that this is highly speculative as the cases have not been handed down and the political/legislative process has not been gone through. That means that if one makes the good assumption that eventually we'll be at least close to "Shall Issue", the flavor one can anticipate is not set at all.

If I were to design the transition I would grandfather the existing CCW permits and make them sign up for statewide CCW permitting as their CCW expires. But that's just what I would do - and is based on a so-far unwarranted assumption that the permits will be issued at the state level.

Clinton
04-23-2010, 9:05 PM
I understand that all of this is totally speculative at the moment. Just wondered what thoughts some might have about it, IF it happens.

MP301
04-24-2010, 8:59 PM
Chances are you would still get your permit the same way from the same place. They are already set up to do them. The only difference will be is the lack of ability of them to deny one because they want to in most cases.

CCWFacts
04-24-2010, 9:39 PM
My expectation is that if we have CCW reform in California, nothing would change for current CCW holders. The only difference is that new applicants would be able to use "personal protection" as good cause, and they couldn't non-renew you for lack of good cause. I assume that's what you're hoping to hear.

paul0660
04-24-2010, 9:55 PM
The only difference is that new applicants would be able to use "personal protection" as good cause

That is the way I see it too. At this point the requirement for good cause is completely subjective. A state wide standard would have to be less exclusive.

press1280
04-25-2010, 6:29 AM
I just wonder what other roadblocks/obstructions they'll try to throw up when "lack of need," is declared unconstitutional. Look at what DC has done since Heller. It takes 5 separate trips to the PD plus several hundred dollars just to register a gun at home. I could see CA making a state-training course mandatory, make it cost a lot of $$ and a lot of time, have it only take place in a few locations(so some people will need to drive hours to get to it), ballistics records, limit the places one can CCW,exc.
I hope once Sykes gets to an appeals or SCOTUS that they pre-empt any shenenigans that the CA legislature is thinking of.

Legasat
04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
The only difference is that new applicants would be able to use "personal protection" as good cause, and they couldn't non-renew you for lack of good cause. I assume that's what you're hoping to hear.

That IS how I hope it works out....

Window_Seat
04-25-2010, 12:15 PM
...I hope once Sykes gets to an appeals or SCOTUS that they pre-empt any shenenigans that the CA legislature is thinking of.

+infinity! Exactly what I'm thinking in terms of the endless restrictions that would be on the minds of the anti's who would do everything they could to prevent us from being able to carry outside the home. I could see them trying to come up with a 5000' SZ, grocery store zone, bar zone, this zone that zone, and what's worse is that the Legislature has all the time in the world to do it, because they can't think of anything else.

Erik.