PDA

View Full Version : Cache Creek?

GVOllie
04-23-2010, 8:20 PM
Does anyone know if Cache Creek WA is still open for hunting? DFG site says during "open season", which I thought ended Jan 31st. I had planned on going to Crocker Meadows, and I called DFG about that today. The person I talked to said it was open, but it really sounded like she was guessing, and pretty much just recited what it says on the DFG site. I had to change plans at the last minute, so no chance of checking on it now until Monday.

Anyone know the rule?

r3dn3ck
04-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I was just out there. The WA may or may not be open (don't go saturdays in spring... HUGE hiker groups come out) but it's cr4p in the WA anyway, there's private land spotted inside it and tends to have lots of people on it.

Best bet there is to take the road back from the parking lot south to the 2nd marked private land GATE, bear right of the gate and follow the gulley (there's a trail against the west gulley wall) back till it becomes a road. Go past the 2 busted cars and over the short ridge and you'll be on BLM land. Then nobody will mess with you or your shots. Follow the road to the stream and cross it. You're now on the best hunting land I've seen in a long time. Hard to find yes, but worth it.

If you're going and want a partner, hit me up. I'm free pretty much any weekend. There's abundant deer, rabbit, pig, squirrel and various birds. Dove are THICK up there right now.

I got a massive jackrabbit there yesterday. Happy to show you where to go. Don't bother with google earth trying to find the trail. It's concealed under canopy for most of its run.

ko1featherweigh
04-25-2010, 2:36 PM
I heard the place is a nice place and if you know where the animals are is a nice place to hunt. I have heard people have taken pigs there. I have always wanted to scout the area but got to doing it.

mala in se
04-25-2010, 7:12 PM
i'm interested as i always wanted to go hunting and cache creek is about a two hour drive for me.

do you know when wild pig is in season? also will .223 be enough to take one down?

edwardm
04-25-2010, 9:55 PM
Which parking lot? There's like 4 or 5.

I was just out there. The WA may or may not be open (don't go saturdays in spring... HUGE hiker groups come out) but it's cr4p in the WA anyway, there's private land spotted inside it and tends to have lots of people on it.

Best bet there is to take the road back from the parking lot south to the 2nd marked private land GATE, bear right of the gate and follow the gulley (there's a trail against the west gulley wall) back till it becomes a road. Go past the 2 busted cars and over the short ridge and you'll be on BLM land. Then nobody will mess with you or your shots. Follow the road to the stream and cross it. You're now on the best hunting land I've seen in a long time. Hard to find yes, but worth it.

If you're going and want a partner, hit me up. I'm free pretty much any weekend. There's abundant deer, rabbit, pig, squirrel and various birds. Dove are THICK up there right now.

I got a massive jackrabbit there yesterday. Happy to show you where to go. Don't bother with google earth trying to find the trail. It's concealed under canopy for most of its run.

joshua76
04-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Don't WAs require shot gun only?
Or rifles are allowed on BLM land?

i'm interested as i always wanted to go hunting and cache creek is about a two hour drive for me.

do you know when wild pig is in season? also will .223 be enough to take one down?

taperxz
04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I think all hunting is closed during the tule elk calving season. You may want to double check when you can and can't hunt.

Deluhathol
04-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I was up there about a week ago. But i went in through the northern entrances. There were a few other hunters as well. The only thing I saw though was 1 black bear.

GVOllie
04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses! A couple of notes:

joshua - Not all WAs have shotgun only rules. If you look at the DFG web site for public lands, they will tell you which ones are shotgun only.

taperxz - If this is true, even DFG doesn't know it! Could you pass along where you find this information? Better to know now than when the warden is confiscating your weapon.

mala - There is no season in CA for pig. Just make sure you have a tag (not part of the standard license). Not having ever taken a pig, I don't know if .223 would be enough. I suppose if you put it through an ear it would work fine, but I don't know if it is enough to penetrate a shoulder. I use a 30.06 myself, but if you were joining in on the same hunt, I could bring along a nice chrome 30-30 with iron sights (with ammo).

r3dn3ck - What are you doing next weekend? The jackrabbits I've been seeing so far this year have been huge! I wouldn't mind a couple in the freezer. I've also got Saturday free from the wife and kid, so I plan on being in the field early Saturday.

ALLOUTIND
05-10-2010, 11:09 PM
MORE MORE MORE this great info.......

r3dn3ck
05-11-2010, 7:52 AM
Sorry I lag in responding. I work too much.

I went up a couple weeks ago and got my turkey. I hadn't killed anything all day (didn't know it was still turkey season) and I'd passed a big-ol tom turkey on my way down the hill but thought the season was over. Some smart *** down at the bottom asked me why I wasn't packing a turkey out and after a brief discussion of it being still in season for 3 more days, I got changed into some cooler duds and waited for the car-park to clear (hikers), went back up the hill and got him. 15/16" spurs and a 9.5" beard. Didn't weigh him but there's about 7lbs of meat in the freezer now.

Anybody got a place to go for squirrels and bunnies where they're easier to kick up than just about never? Where I grew up in SoCal (Riverside county) I could just walk around with a shotgun in the back 40 and kick bunnies out of sage brush. It was like hunting pheasant without wings... man you could run through 3 boxes of shells a day. Cmon... someone has to have a bunny and squirrel problem?