PDA

View Full Version : May 8, 2010 Gun Buyback

pullnshoot25
04-23-2010, 4:39 PM
So there is a buyback going on...

http://cbs2.com/misc/Gun.Buyback.FAQ.2.1650557.html

If you are in the LA area and want to help with crashing this event, PM me with a contact email address. I have some ideas...

todd2968
04-23-2010, 4:45 PM
What is the amount per gun?
$100.00 for; hand guns, shotguns, & rifles.
$200.00 for Assault weapons; AK-47, Uzi's, AR-15.

Is it legal to have my own gun buy back program?

Will you check for lost or stolen status of the weapons? If so, will you return to owner?
Yes. All weapons will be checked for lost and/or stolen status. Every effort will be made to return lost and/or stolen firearms to their rightful owners

That kind of cool

So report your gun stolen then get your money and see if you ever get it back.

pullnshoot25
04-23-2010, 4:47 PM
What is the amount per gun?
$100.00 for; hand guns, shotguns, & rifles.
$200.00 for Assault weapons; AK-47, Uzi's, AR-15.

Is it legal to have my own gun buy back program?

Will you check for lost or stolen status of the weapons? If so, will you return to owner?
Yes. All weapons will be checked for lost and/or stolen status. Every effort will be made to return lost and/or stolen firearms to their rightful owners

That kind of cool
This is a lot more than what was done down here. No serial checks, just into the smelter.

It may be legal to have your own buyback, though it would be severely limited...

empty
04-23-2010, 4:59 PM
Anyone else want to set up a booth outside?

JDoe
04-23-2010, 4:59 PM
Unlike previous gun buy backs that violated CA PC 626.9 school zones this one does not violate any CA PC 626.9 school zones.

What's the statute of limitations on a violation of CA PC 626.9?

pullnshoot25
04-23-2010, 5:07 PM
Unlike previous gun buy backs that violated CA PC 626.9 school zones this one does not violate any CA PC 626.9 school zones.

Probably 3 years.

In an unprecedented turn of events, it seems that a few politicians and public servants have evolved to actually follow SOME laws.

ChrisTKHarris
04-23-2010, 5:08 PM
You guys should go and buy up all the guns before they can be bought back.

Barkoff
04-23-2010, 5:27 PM

If you are in the LA area and want to help with crashing this event, PM me with a contact email address. I have some ideas...

Go find a rusted out piece of junk, get your $100 and put it down on a new .45...talk about satisfaction.

Shady
04-23-2010, 5:38 PM
Go find a rusted out piece of junk, get your $100 and put it down on a new .45...talk about satisfaction.

I bought a AK with my gov stimulis check

that felt good

Crazed_SS
04-23-2010, 5:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I might have to get rid of my Mosins, unless someone here wants to give me $100 each for them. I dont know why, but I cant hit anything with these rifles, so I just want to get rid of them.

tuolumnejim
04-23-2010, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I might have to get rid of my Mosins, unless someone here wants to give me $100 each for them. I dont know why, but I cant hit anything with these rifles, so I just want to get rid of them.

If you were closer I'd have a look, I want a few 91/30's.

BKinzey
04-23-2010, 6:05 PM

You sure about that? Google Map the Hollywood location:
5520 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Now look for Grant Elementary. It's one block away to the northwest. Looks to me the entire parking lot is within 1000 feet.

1 SIG fan
04-23-2010, 6:21 PM
CRAP... guess i won't be shopping at Ralphs anymore..

How is this event being paid for?
The event is being funded from various funding streams including a grant from the Ralph's Corporation and the United States Department of Justice.

Glock-matic
04-23-2010, 6:52 PM
5520 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Now look for Grant Elementary. It's one block away to the northwest. Looks to me the entire parking lot is within 1000 feet.

Ball up and make a citizens arrest!

BKinzey
04-23-2010, 8:27 PM
Ball up and make a citizens arrest!

You first and I probably won't be around.

Shotgun Man
04-23-2010, 8:33 PM
Anyone ever tried turning in an air rifle at one of these events?

Air rifles can kill or hurt people too.

Clinton
04-23-2010, 9:01 PM
Will the cops even let you "crash" one of these events? or will they just shoo you away? How do you get the gun sellers to trust you enough to sell you the gun instead of giving it to LE? How much more will you offer the guns owner? it woulkd have to be worth it to them to follow you to the closest FFL for a transfer.

Clinton
04-23-2010, 9:07 PM
"All weapons will be checked for lost and/or stolen status. Every effort will be made to return lost and/or stolen firearms to their rightful owners"

yeah, right.:rolleyes:

bigcalidave
04-23-2010, 9:50 PM
Guys, either you need to get down there with FFLs and buy / price quote peoples guns, or you need to organize a mass selling of CRAP guns, and be first in line.... :) Get all the money before the people who aren't there to turn a profit do!

JDoe
04-23-2010, 10:01 PM
5520 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Good eyes! Thank you for double checking. :thumbsup: Grant Elementary is barely 1000 ft from most of the 5520 parking lot but the building on the SE corner of that block appears to be a PK school and I think that means the 626.9 school zone applies from the border of its grounds and you are correct.

Grant Early Education Center (http://search.lausd.k12.ca.us/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=find3&which=9519)
1559 N ST ANDREWS PL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90028
Telephone: 323-463-4112
Fax: 323-466-7989

Is within 1,000 feet of the entire parking lot of 5520 Sunset Blvd.

POLICESTATE
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Well that explains how the city is going to afford the buyback. You show up with your gun, they arrest you for violation of 626.9 and SEIZE your gun, no money for you! Just a trip to booking!

I would not be surprised if this did in fact happen one of these days. LAPD top management as well as the LA city Mayor's office would probably concoct some crap like that.

Good eyes! Thank you for double checking. :thumbsup: Grant Elementary is barely 1000 ft from most of the 5520 parking lot but the building on the SE corner of that block appears to be a PK school and I think that means the 626.9 school zone applies from the border of its grounds and you are correct.

Grant Early Education Center (http://search.lausd.k12.ca.us/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=find3&which=9519)
1559 N ST ANDREWS PL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90028

corrupt
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Hmm, it's almost tempting just to go and check it out and see what it looks like.

Pyrodyne
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
They say no questions asked.. would they look close enough to tell if it's an airsoft? :rofl:

Doheny
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=294036

big red
04-23-2010, 11:34 PM
If you really want to irritate them, How about standing outside the event with a sign that says "go to calguns.net and sell your gun for more and it's free. You keep all the money but it would be nice to donate something if you can." Or better yet have a van and paint the sign on the side and park it across the street legally.

jdberger
04-23-2010, 11:50 PM
How about a big banner with this picture, and the caption:

Do you own a gun like this? It could be worth THOUSANDS of DOLLARS. See me for more information.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/scobun/1851Colt001.jpg

(credit to scobun for the pic)

KylaGWolf
04-23-2010, 11:54 PM

1559 N ST ANDREWS PL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90028

pre-k does not qualify under 626.9. Oh and they go from the furthest boundery of the school property to where you want to be for figuring 626.9. So if you are just going from the building you may be short changing the measurements.

Something that bugs me every time someone mentions a buy back someone here goes go get junk guns and sell them. Why in the heck would you want them to have any guns. Because I can promise you they will make a big media event over the piles of guns they get off the street and they will win votes for that very thing too. While yes you could buy some of the guns and if you were an FFL you could probably buy a great many more the problem I have is how would YOU check to see if the gun has been stolen. Most civilians don't have access to that information. Heck even LEOs from different departments don't have access to the same information.

big red
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
I only mentioned the sign across the street idea as a way to irritate them more than anything. And of course if a gun is beyond repair sell them the rusted junk and let them put it on the air and show the public how their tax dollars are being spent buying back guns that might not even make decent clubs much less anything else. A total waste of money. The idea is to show these events for what they are. Just PR stunts and not much more.

gbp
04-24-2010, 12:07 AM
it might be fun to start a bidding war
just for sh%ts and giggles

Snake9
04-24-2010, 12:59 AM
How can you "buyback" something you did not own in the first place?...

More "Newspeak" by the anti-gun mind-control crowd, who are trained to exploit these techniques. When are we going to quit letting them control the defining terms in this propaganda war?. NSSF has taken a bold step in this direction with the "modern sporting rifle" drive and I compliment them very highly for it!!...(Story linked below or just search for NSSF website/press releases)

Lulfas
04-24-2010, 9:50 AM
I got a revolver that came from my grandpa when he died that has 2 pretty large cracks in the frame, but is still all in one piece. Think they'll give me the 100 bucks for that? Brand new condition it's only worth 200-300...

yakmon
04-24-2010, 10:12 AM
maybe show up with a table, and a blue book of guns and do apraisals of the firearms being sold for 50%-75% of their real value?

hiyabrad
04-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Does a bare NDS or Group Industries receiver qualify for the $200?

loather
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
CRAP... guess i won't be shopping at Ralphs anymore..

How is this event being paid for?
The event is being funded from various funding streams including a grant from the Ralph's Corporation and the United States Department of Justice.

I wouldn't be so sure to connect the two. The Ralphs brand chain of grocery stores is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Kroger Corporation. They own a *bunch* of different grocery store chains. I'd do my homework and find out if the Ralph's Corporation and Ralphs (notice how one has an apostrophe and the other doesn't -- telling) are the same company ...

AJAX22
04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Don't play the game.

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
The police are fencing stolen guns and destroying them instead of returning the stolen property to the rightful owners.

With the economy like it is, I bet this is going to be one of their biggest takes yet.

Once, I took about 20 parts guns, from the shop I worked at, to a buy back. They said they would take all of them but, they would only pay for one. I left them a Glenfield 22 that had an action which was cracked in half and most of the internals had been removed. I will never waste my time and gas going to one again.

hiyabrad
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Don't play the game.

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

This is a quote from the Nazi's. It was used at several concentration camps on signs.

AJAX22 -- Why are you using a Nazi quote in your sig?

tyrist
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM

How does it violate the school zone law when you drive up with the firearms in a locked container (trunk of the vehicle)?

Not to mention the Superintendent can exempt somebody.

AJAX22
04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
"Arbeit Macht Frei"

This is a quote from the Nazi's. It was used at several concentration camps on signs.

AJAX22 -- Why are you using a Nazi quote in your sig?

To call attention to the dangers of large governance.

Forget the past and you will repeat it.

Never Forget.

he expression comes from the title of an 1873 novel by German philologist Lorenz Diefenbach, in which gamblers and fraudsters find the path to virtue through labour.[2][4] It was adopted in 1928 by the Weimar government as a slogan extolling the effects of their desired policy of large-scale public works programmes to end unemployment, and perhaps mocking the Medieval saying "Stadtluft macht frei" ("City air brings freedom"). It was continued in this usage by the NSDAP (Nazi Party) when it came to power in 1933.

N6ATF
04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Black suits, white shirts, black ties, black van. Get photo/video evidence of these criminals with badges if the FBI refuses to.

REH
04-24-2010, 1:04 PM

I doubt it. It will not look evil and threatening for the news cameras

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 1:09 PM

They normally require turn ins to be "functioning firearms" to qualify for $.

marc4
04-24-2010, 5:25 PM
On the comments section, just mention that we buy guns at calguns.net.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
04-24-2010, 5:54 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone that there is a detailed memorandum re the legality of gun buybacks on www.calgunlaws.com. Here is the direct link for those interested: http://www.calgunlaws.com/images/stories/Docs/gun%20buyback%20programs.pdf

Maestro Pistolero
04-24-2010, 6:56 PM
I've got an old Mossberg 22 autoloader that, with a few added features: duck taped-on pistol grip, etc. could qualify as an assault weapon! Maybe a soup-can flash suppressor. HMMMM?

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 7:30 PM
I've got an old Mossberg 22 autoloader that, with a few added features: duck taped-on pistol grip, etc. could qualify as an assault weapon! Maybe a soup-can flash suppressor. HMMMM?

While rimfire rifles were not exmpted from the, now sunsetted, Federal AW ban, they are exempt from the CA AW laws.

Scratch705
04-24-2010, 8:16 PM
They normally require turn ins to be "functioning firearms" to qualify for $.

how would they check? :D

CSACANNONEER
04-25-2010, 6:43 AM
how would they check? :D

A stripped reciever or too many missing parts is a dead give away!

lorax3
04-25-2010, 11:11 AM
How does it violate the school zone law when you drive up with the firearms in a locked container (trunk of the vehicle)?

The deal was that at the last gun guy back many people were not transporting either handguns or longguns in locked containers.

In many cases this is not even school zone laws we are talking about, but stuff like 12025, and 12031.

In the last gun buyback thread I posted quite a few pictures of people just pulling handguns from out paper bags, or towels that we sitting on the passenger seat. I'm sure grandma may have even brought a loaded gun because she was not sure how to check it.

dndgeek
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Sounds like the perfect place to turn in a murder weapon.

Is this a sting? Will Police be taking pictures of participants and writing down license plate numbers?
No. The Gun Buyback is not a sting. It is an anonymous process in which individuals can surrender their weapons, no questions asked. Law enforcement officials will not be taking pictures of participants, nor will they be logging license plate numbers or running ballistic tests on the guns that are turned in.

Mike's Custom
04-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I wonder how much home burgluries go up in the weeks before a gun buy back takes place? And why is it called a "buy back" since the LAPD did not supply the firearms in the first place.... Or did they? Wouldn't it be a outright purchase? Wouldn't the LAPD have to be a FFL to take possession as in a PPT which is what this would be? If someone was just turning in a firearm they found or was their own and the LAPD was just holding agent I might buy it but it seems to me that they are doing a transfer because money is changing hands.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I wonder how much home burgluries go up in the weeks before a gun buy back takes place? And why is it called a "buy back" since the LAPD did not supply the firearms in the first place.... Or did they? Wouldn't it be a outright purchase? Wouldn't the LAPD have to be a FFL to take possession as in a PPT which is what this would be? If someone was just turning in a firearm they found or was their own and the LAPD was just holding agent I might buy it but it seems to me that they are doing a transfer because money is changing hands.

The detailed answer to your question is here: http://www.calgunlaws.com/images/stories/Docs/gun%20buyback%20programs.pdf

To summarize, law enforcement is exempt when it is receiving the firearms in the course of a gun buyback.

tombinghamthegreat
04-25-2010, 3:22 PM

Take pictures and post a thread....might convenience ffl dealers to go to gun buy backs to make sure no valuable guns are being discarded. Could you imagine buying a 2000 dollar 1911 from someone at one of these buybacks for 200 dollars:eek:

dantodd
04-25-2010, 5:00 PM
From the police point of view, school grounds are the perfect place to hold a "buy back." They can get exclusive permission to hold the event within the GFSZ from the administration and thus exclude any potential competition who might set up "gun buying" or "gun appraisal" tents because those people would have to set up 1000' away.

Pig Rifle
04-25-2010, 6:34 PM
To summarize, law enforcement is exempt when it is receiving the firearms in the course of a gun buyback.[/QUOTE]

What about guns they are "purchasing" which are supposed to be federally regulated/taxed, E.G. SBRs, full auto, SBSs, suppressed firearms etc?

CitaDeL
04-25-2010, 7:54 PM
From the police point of view, school grounds are the perfect place to hold a "buy back." They can get exclusive permission to hold the event within the GFSZ from the administration and thus exclude any potential competition who might set up "gun buying" or "gun appraisal" tents because those people would have to set up 1000' away.

If that were true, why would they relocate the event when it was pointed out that 626.9 would cause those who were bringing guns to be in violation?

No- in fact it is a politically bad place to have a buy back- it exposes the selective enforcement and creates a very visable double standard. Which is why we should document every such event for future use.

Blackhawk556
04-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Do they pay cash or with stupid gift cards?

IOU?

N6ATF
04-26-2010, 1:06 PM
Do they pay cash or with stupid gift cards?

IOU?

Get Out Of Jail Free cards.

After all, 0-100% of those ditching their guns are criminals and only criminals truly benefit from "buybacks"...

corrupt
04-26-2010, 3:15 PM
Get Out Of Jail Free cards.

After all, 0-100% of those ditching their guns are criminals and only criminals truly benefit from "buybacks"...

Well isn't that the point of the buy backs?