PDA

View Full Version : Have some AK questions regarding OLL.

mk3mitch
04-23-2010, 1:54 PM
So a guy comes into my work, he is a usual customer and we talk guns every now and then. He says he has an AK rifle he is looking to get rid of, he never used it blah blah. So I tell him a little about OLL's and evil features etc. He doesn't know the brand, so I tell him to try and find out for me, so if it happens to be an OLL I might buy it from him. Rather than find out the brand for me, today he just brings the rifle to my work( Minus the pistol grip, I told him about that part, but he still ran the risk of it being a listed lower). BRAND: Made in China. Model AK47S. Imported by Golden State firearms. I looked on the bannned list, and it listed Made in China Model AK47 as banned, but nothing about the AK47S model. Is this thing good to go? (provided it is featureless or Mag locked). Anyone heard of the Golden State firearms company before? Thanks guys.

69Mach1
04-23-2010, 2:12 PM
No no no. stay far away from this. and delete this thread

darkest2000
04-23-2010, 2:42 PM
It depends on how anal the transfer dealer wants to be. Technically the make and model has to match EXACTLY. If it doesn't, then...

Edit:

OK I just checked again and the Made in China AK47S is INDEED a listed gun under Roberti Roos (Appendix A on the flowchart). So no go. Hope he has a good hiding place for the thing if it's not registered...

Cokebottle
04-23-2010, 2:46 PM
No no no. stay far away from this. and delete this thread
+1
Banned by name.
Even if the current owner legally registered it during the grace period, it cannot be transferred to anyone in California other than an FFL with an AW permit.

anniepoks
04-23-2010, 2:46 PM
just by name and model, i doubt who will do the transfer between you and your co-worker. maybe he can sell you the parts, good luck finding an off-list AK receiver. like 69mach1 said.... stay away or else... you will pay!

SJgunguy24
04-23-2010, 2:48 PM
FELONY ALERT.....FELONY ALERT!!!!!!

telcolineman
04-23-2010, 3:37 PM
Disassemble and buy it as a parts kit and get a US receiver flat and bend your own, Otherwise it's an AW. Or tell him to sell it out of state

darkest2000
04-23-2010, 3:38 PM

Is this necessary?:rolleyes:

Cokebottle
04-23-2010, 4:02 PM
Disassemble and buy it as a parts kit and get a US receiver flat and bend your own, Otherwise it's an AW. Or tell him to sell it out of state
Easy with an AR... just ask the seller to remove all of the parts from the lower and buy everything else (there's still legal issues with the seller disposing of the lower).

Not so easy with the AK... the receiver would have to be torch-cut in 3 places with at least 1/4" of material blasted out by the torch.
Bandsaw cutting isn't legal.

Knight
04-23-2010, 4:11 PM

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

HotRails
04-23-2010, 6:07 PM
So a guy comes into my work, he is a usual customer and we talk guns every now and then. He says he has an AK rifle he is looking to get rid of, he never used it blah blah. So I tell him a little about OLL's and evil features etc. He doesn't know the brand, so I tell him to try and find out for me, so if it happens to be an OLL I might buy it from him. Rather than find out the brand for me, today he just brings the rifle to my work( Minus the pistol grip, I told him about that part, but he still ran the risk of it being a listed lower). BRAND: Made in China. Model AK47S. Imported by Golden State firearms. I looked on the bannned list, and it listed Made in China Model AK47 as banned, but nothing about the AK47S model. Is this thing good to go? (provided it is featureless or Mag locked). Anyone heard of the Golden State firearms company before? Thanks guys.

Ok, sounds like he already knew it was on the list. Guess he is too lazy to demil it and sell as a parts kit either. :eek:

mk3mitch
04-23-2010, 9:15 PM
Alright thanks a ton guys! I will let him know. He doesn't have any knowledge on current gun laws. I will tell him he better get rid of that thing!

Cokebottle
04-23-2010, 9:24 PM
Alright thanks a ton guys! I will let him know. He doesn't have any knowledge on current gun laws. I will tell him he better get rid of that thing!
It's more involved than that.

If it is unregistered (sounds like it is), then he needs to contact an AW-friendly attorney and arrange to surrender it to the police through the attorney.

Simply transporting it in California is a felony, on top of the felony of possession.

Cobrafreak
04-23-2010, 9:28 PM
Bury it in tupperware in a deep hole and when the list is found unconstitutional get a shovel.

bigthaiboy
04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Op asked about Golden State Arms :

Golden State Arms Distributors, Inc. (GSAD) was incorporated in California in July 1984. This business was a surplus arms importer, with a retail store located at 1097 Aviation Blvd. in Hermosa Beach, CA (N/W corner of Prospect at Aviation). They utilized a warehouse at 630 Mary Ann Drive in Redondo Beach, CA. The importer marking on a number of their surplus imports indicated GSAD MANH. BEA., CA, presumably for Manhattan Beach, CA.

This company and it's owner were not affiliated with Golden State Arms of Pasadena, CA (owned by Seymour Zieber), which closed in Oct 1966.

Q
04-24-2010, 1:56 AM
Did it say AK47S on the receiver?
Sounds like a GSAD movie gun to me. I've never seen a GSAD with ak47 or ak47s on the receiver. I've seen many pics of them to.

MrNiceGuy
04-24-2010, 9:28 AM
Cut up the receiver and sell it as a parts kit? Legal right?

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2010, 9:53 AM
Cut up the receiver and sell it as a parts kit? Legal right?

Are you suggesting that destroying evidence is legal? If it is an unregistered AW, a crime has been committed and the rifle is evidence. While stripping the receiver down MIGHT be legal, I would contact an attorney first to find out.

MrNiceGuy
04-24-2010, 1:27 PM
Ok....guess it's NOT legal....question answered....thx!

bwiese
04-24-2010, 1:53 PM
Are you suggesting that destroying evidence is legal? If it is an unregistered AW, a crime has been committed and the rifle is evidence. While stripping the receiver down MIGHT be legal, I would contact an attorney first to find out.

A person finding himself with a named/unreg'd AW should:

1.) IMMEDIATELY strip parts down to a bare receiver.
2.) IMMEDATELY CONTACT ATTORNEY.
3.) separate the parts and the receiver by a goodly amount.
4.) maybe even destroy receiver (saw marks etc.)
5.) Attorney will arrange for disposal/surrender to LE without charges;
"transactionally" cleans up situation.

#1 above stops the ONGOING crime.
#5 above is used to "clean things up" for past.