PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M4 2 shell magazine extension legal ???

techenigma
02-26-2006, 9:55 PM
Ok well I finally located a Benelli M4 for a reasonable price, I'm getting it tomorrow and I want to know if the 2 shell magazine extension is legal or not. I've been reading back and forth about the issue for the last hour and my head is spinning. I haven't gotten a decisive answer on if its legal or not.
Whats really making me wonder now is I went on gunbroker and theres a guy selling a M1014 configured one, albeit with a faux collapsible stock out of Corona. So either the dude is a CA DOJ, or ATF agent trying to string someone or this is indeed legal in the Kalifornia...

I'd like to know to figure what my best options are here. If anyone has a concrete decisive answer for me please do enlighten. thanks.

techenigma
02-26-2006, 11:03 PM
yah I heard the same thing on other boards. The general opinion of rebuttal there was that though it did stipulate no import of the extension itself it also dictated an amount of the componenets of the gun itself had to be non-imported as well. Frankly I'm just confused to hell on the whole darn thing, I guess I'll ask around tomorrow. I'm living dangerously enough with the AR lowers.

Hoss.870
02-26-2006, 11:50 PM
My understanding of the law was if you have any semi auto shotguns with over 5+ rounds you cannot have a pistol grip.

Kali_M14
02-27-2006, 9:31 AM
My understanding of the law was if you have any semi auto shotguns with over 5+ rounds you cannot have a pistol grip.

That died with the Fed. AWB, there is no limit on the CA law.

techenigma
02-27-2006, 9:55 AM
That died with the Fed. AWB, there is no limit on the CA law.

so is that to say it is legal to add the 2 shell extension, and maintain the pistol grip stock? If so that sounds like the answer I was looking for. I've already been all over our California laws and can't find anything that would regulate the size of the magazine except of course for the 10 round limitation. I guess now the real issue is with Federal law... unless that was only covered by the AW ban that of course has now expired.

Hoss.870
02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I totally blanked on that, yea man your good to go on the Mag tube extension.

TonyM
02-27-2006, 10:14 AM
so is that to say it is legal to add the 2 shell extension, and maintain the pistol grip stock? If so that sounds like the answer I was looking for. I've already been all over our California laws and can't find anything that would regulate the size of the magazine except of course for the 10 round limitation. I guess now the real issue is with Federal law... unless that was only covered by the AW ban that of course has now expired.

Yep. Enjoy it, I love my M1014.

82a1
02-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I added a 2 shot extension to my Benelli M4. I can get 8 slugs in there, but there is a way to get 9 (haven't tried it yet). It's amazing how accurate it is with an EOTech. Love it so much I wanna get another one. :D

capitol
02-27-2006, 10:50 AM
A two round extension is ok on a pistol grip, semi-auto Benelli. I have a Benelli branded extension on my M3. It cost me $60 from Reed's and I just happen to purchase it the day after the 94 AW Ban sunset :)

gose
02-27-2006, 3:00 PM
I would really like to see a written statement from the ATF that this gun is considered to be a "Sporting Firearm" even after the mag extension is added. The gun, without a doubt, is considered to be a Sporting firearm in the "neutered state", but if the ATF considers the rifle to be non-sporting with the mag extension, you just violated 18 U.S.C. sections 922(l) and 925(d)(3), unless you did the whole parts count crap.

The importation of non-sporting firearms was introduced in the GCA of -68 (i think?) and changing an imported sporting firearm into a non-sporting firearm is in violation of the statues mentioned above. The importation of non sporting firearms had nothing to do with the AW ban, or why do you think that guns like SIG 550 or Steyr AUG still can't be imported? They simply aren't considered to be sporting firearms. The H&K SL8 was allowed because it was "sporting", but if you wanted to re-build it into a non-sporting configuration the only way to do it was to comply with the parts count.

But what do I know.... I've just been in the country two months, so flame away ;)

NeoWeird
03-12-2006, 11:55 PM
As I understand it, that is correct. The benellis are made with the proper number of non-imported parts so they can be imported, but if you add another non-imported part it would become illegal; that is why it is stressed so much to get a US made extension even though the Benellis can be found.

It's basically like if you were building an AK from a parts kit. If you want to understand more in depth what is ok and not ok for imported firearms look into the build it yourself AK forums on the internet as they will have more info on the parts count and imported firearms than any other place I can think of.

Bladewurk
03-27-2006, 9:06 PM
So get a tube from Sure Cycle...:)

gose
03-27-2006, 11:43 PM
As I understand it, that is correct. The benellis are made with the proper number of non-imported parts so they can be imported, but if you add another non-imported part it would become illegal; that is why it is stressed so much to get a US made extension even though the Benellis can be found.

It's basically like if you were building an AK from a parts kit. If you want to understand more in depth what is ok and not ok for imported firearms look into the build it yourself AK forums on the internet as they will have more info on the parts count and imported firearms than any other place I can think of.

Actually I'm pretty certain that is wrong. Sporting firearms do NOT need a parts count to be imported and if it's not a sporting firearm it can't be imported at all, period. With the neutered tube it is considered to be a sporting firearm, but with the full tube it is not. Hence it can only be imported in the sporting configuration. If you add the extension to it, you just created a non-sporting firearm and you then need to add 10 US made parts to make it a US firearm, at which point the non-sporting thing is moot.

Even if you ship 10 US made parts to a foreign gun producer, they still wouldn't be allowed to import a non-sporting firearm and I really really doubt that the Benellis sold here are imported as parts kits and that Benelli adds 10 US made parts when they get here.

As another example we can look at the H&K SL8. It was imported in a sporting configuration, but if you wanted to make it non-sporting you had to add 10 US made parts to it.

My interpretation of the law is that adding the extension is the same thing as with the SL8 and that you, by adding the extension, would break the law.

Now, all this is irrelevant IF the M4 with the full tube never was ruled as a non-sporting firearm and Benelli started shipping it with the neutered tube for some other reason, but I somehow doubt that as well.

Someone PLEASE correct me :)

cseabass
04-09-2006, 1:46 AM
I added a 2 shot extension to my Benelli M4. I can get 8 slugs in there, but there is a way to get 9 (haven't tried it yet). It's amazing how accurate it is with an EOTech. Love it so much I wanna get another one. :D

sigh, damnit... i miss my m1 and now since the m4s are availible... dont tell me how much you like it... sigh, now i have to buy one.

82a1
04-09-2006, 9:22 PM
sigh, damnit... i miss my m1 and now since the m4s are availible... dont tell me how much you like it... sigh, now i have to buy one.

Don't stress over it bud - you'll get one. Yeah, the M4's are available, but really hard to get for a fair price. My local store recently sold two of them in only a day or two - and they had to wait seven months for delivery!

NeoWeird
04-10-2006, 1:07 AM
Actually I'm pretty certain that is wrong. Sporting firearms do NOT need a parts count to be imported and if it's not a sporting firearm it can't be imported at all, period. With the neutered tube it is considered to be a sporting firearm, but with the full tube it is not. Hence it can only be imported in the sporting configuration. If you add the extension to it, you just created a non-sporting firearm and you then need to add 10 US made parts to make it a US firearm, at which point the non-sporting thing is moot.

Even if you ship 10 US made parts to a foreign gun producer, they still wouldn't be allowed to import a non-sporting firearm and I really really doubt that the Benellis sold here are imported as parts kits and that Benelli adds 10 US made parts when they get here.

As another example we can look at the H&K SL8. It was imported in a sporting configuration, but if you wanted to make it non-sporting you had to add 10 US made parts to it.

My interpretation of the law is that adding the extension is the same thing as with the SL8 and that you, by adding the extension, would break the law.

Now, all this is irrelevant IF the M4 with the full tube never was ruled as a non-sporting firearm and Benelli started shipping it with the neutered tube for some other reason, but I somehow doubt that as well.

Someone PLEASE correct me :)

Wow, talk about a blast from the past topic. I thought this thing would be dead by now.

Yes, you are correct and I was wrong. I must be thinking about something else, maybe Aks or one of the other imported guns I was reading into at the time. For a good clarification, there is a pinned thread on arfcom about it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=177741

Gregas
06-21-2006, 8:10 PM
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I'm lusting after an M4 w/ extension tube. I read the BATF letter on ARFCOM. I looks like if the the M4 had 1 less imported part from the magic list it would be legal to put on the two shot extension. Does any body make parts for the M4 in the USA?

Also the letter says that the M4 has 11 of the 20 parts on the list, but they did not mention: gas piston, sear, disconnector. Does the M4 not have these?

uzigalil
06-21-2006, 8:25 PM
Just Get A Shell Follower Made In The Usa Thats All You Need.

PIRATE14
06-23-2006, 8:50 AM

Kinda...like this.

Right now Benelli ships out kits w/ a US made +2 EXT (sure cycle), this keeps them w/in the law.

I have 2 complete kits in stock and ready to fly, this includes the COL STK and +2 kit for 1650.

I have 2 of these myself and they are one tough 12GA, not one failure yet.:D

6172crew
06-23-2006, 3:48 PM
Kinda...like this.

Right now Benelli ships out kits w/ a US made +2 EXT (sure cycle), this keeps them w/in the law.

I have 2 complete kits in stock and ready to fly, this includes the COL STK and +2 kit for 1650.

I have 2 of these myself and they are one tough 12GA, not one failure yet.:D

Whats the trade in for a like new M1? J/K Im still catching my breath from last month.:D

69Mach1
06-23-2006, 8:23 PM
A two round extension is ok on a pistol grip, semi-auto Benelli. I have a Benelli branded extension on my M3. It cost me $60 from Reed's and I just happen to purchase it the day after the 94 AW Ban sunset :)

I can't quite recall, but what effect did the 94 AW ban/legislation have on the Benelli M1's (with and without the PG buttstock)? I remember being able to buy HK Benelli M1 Super 90s with both the 2 shot extension and PG buttstock before 2000. Or was that the effect of the 1989 legislation?