PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Legality

xLusi0n
02-26-2006, 8:33 PM
I live in CA and I have 30 round mags that I collected throughout my deployments (military). I guess I technically legally own them as they are issued to me by my unit in CA.

Now, my question is, would it be illegal for me to use this with my AR-15 (assuming I had a legally registered AW) for personal use?

I'm assuming the answer is NO - that it can only be used for official duties (i.e. going to the range with my unit on a military exercise). But, I just wanted to get some opinions.

Also, could I take a military 30 round mag and modify it to only accept 10 rounds...would that then be CA legal?

Thanks.

ohsmily
02-26-2006, 8:51 PM
I can't comment for sure about using the military magazines in your personal ar-15 (probably not supposed to, but who would know).

As to modifying the 30's into 10's. You can do that. Do it permanently if you want to keep them for your personal collection and use (but I guess they belong to the gov't).

shopkeep
02-26-2006, 8:55 PM
Once you go off-base with an M-16 magazine you've imported a high capacity magazine. Confusing isn't it? It's legal to have on-base as issued to you and it's ALSO legal to have off-base provided it was lawfully possessed prior to 2000 (which from my understanding the M-16 magazines in question weren't).

It is completely legal to modify a 30 round magazine into a 10 rounder. Just make sure that during the entire process you are lawfully in possession of the magazine (i.e. out of state, etc).

On a sidenote I am not an attorney and don't know quite as much as some of the others so you may want to ask Bill or one of the other experts in here.

xenophobe
02-26-2006, 9:51 PM
Just make sure the only mags you have are the ones you personally kept before Jan 1, 2000. If you had them before Jan 1, 2000, then they're perfectly fine to use with your Registered AW. Military issue mags, unless they're dated and marked LEO/Military ONLY are identical to the military mags that you can buy at a gun store in the free states.

Army
02-26-2006, 9:57 PM
I live in CA and I have 30 round mags that I collected throughout my deployments (military). I guess I technically legally own them as they are issued to me by my unit in CA.

Now, my question is, would it be illegal for me to use this with my AR-15 (assuming I had a legally registered AW) for personal use?

I'm assuming the answer is NO - that it can only be used for official duties (i.e. going to the range with my unit on a military exercise). But, I just wanted to get some opinions.

Also, could I take a military 30 round mag and modify it to only accept 10 rounds...would that then be CA legal?

Thanks.

#1) No, YOU do not own them. They are still property of your unit, and the California Military Dept. If you were issued them during a deployment from another unit or state, you should have turned them in before you de-mobed. Regardless of how you aqquired them, at no time were you given them for personal use or possession outside of unit activities. I would bet that your supply would really appreciate them back.

#2) Not illegal to use, as long as there are no manufacture dates or "For Military Or Law Enforcement Use Only" stamped on them. If they are unmarked/sterile mag bodies, there is no way to determine time of purchase or length of ownership.

#3) PERMANENT alteration of a "high" capacity magazine, to a feeding device which holds a maximum of ten rounds, is legal. To do the opposite is illegal.

xLusi0n
02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I actually tried turning these in several times to several suppy sergeants...no one wanted them :/ I have them all stored in my supply cage anyway (on base).

Out of curiosity, if they are stamped from 1999 but do have the "Restricted for LE/Military Use" is that legal in CA (if I had owned them prior to 2000).

Also, would a mag that's stamped "Restricted for LE/Military..." that is modified to accept 10 rounds be CA legal?

Charliegone
02-27-2006, 1:06 AM
Man these laws are so stupid aren't they?:mad:
Sometimes they have you running around like chickens with no heads!

xLusi0n
02-27-2006, 1:15 AM
Tell me about it! CA should make Jack Bauer governor.

PanzerAce
02-27-2006, 7:15 AM
xLusion, I think it all revolves around the time that they stopped being used in the Military. If you are discharged, and were done so prior to 2000, and had these mags, then by all means keep them, they are perfectly legal. If you were out after 2000, thats where it really gets murky.

50BMGBOB
02-27-2006, 9:55 PM
I have several full capacity mags from when I was in the service and yes I was discharged before 2000. I use them with my Keltec sense I don't have a registered AR15 and I can't use them in my unlisted lower unless I'm out of CA. Until last year when I got my Keltec they where just in a box in my garage.

elsolo
02-27-2006, 11:00 PM
You can have and use a mag stamped "LE only" or whatever, so long as that mag tube was used to repair/refurbish a pre-2000 mag that you allready owned in CA prior to the ban. You can legally replace every part of the mag, you just can't aquire more mags.