PDA

View Full Version : DROS 2 guns at once

Sabot
04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I would like to buy a pistol and a rifle at the same time. Can I register both guns on the same DROS form? And pay one fee.

dirtyJ
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
No, handguns are one per DRoS, so you'll have to do 2 at a minimum. You can do one 4473 for them though as long as you're doing them on the same day.

ugimports
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
No, handguns are one per DRoS, so you'll have to do 2 at a minimum. You can do one 4473 for them though as long as you're doing them on the same day.

How do you document the 2 DROSs with 1 4473? I've been doing a 1 to 1 DROS/4473 relationship.

Sabot
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I did 3 rifles on one DROS at BIG 5. I'm just not sure about doing a handgun with a rifle even though I'm not exceeding the (1) handgun per month limit.

BONECUTTER
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
How do you document the 2 DROSs with 1 4473? I've been doing a 1 to 1 DROS/4473 relationship.

You can write two DROS numbers in the 4473 NICS box.

dirtyJ
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I did 3 rifles on one DROS at BIG 5. I'm just not sure about doing a handgun with a rifle even though I'm not exceeding the (1) handgun per month limit.

Only one handgun from a dealer per month. You can PPT as many as you want.

You can write two DROS numbers in the 4473 NICS box.

Just like that. The 4473 isn't limited to one DRoS number. You could do 5 pistols and a rifle DRoS on one if you wanted to.

SVT-40
04-23-2010, 2:21 PM
DROS is a California only term. The 4473 is federal. The fed's don't care what the mix of firearms is on their form.

California on the other hand is different. The Dealer Report Of Sale (DROS) which is completed on the FFL's computer cannot mix hand guns and long guns. So a separate DROS is necessary when you buy one of each.

Each hand gun requires it's own separate DROS as the unique S/N and description is entered.

With long guns no unique information is reported so the only information needed on long guns is the total number being purchased.

Sabot
04-23-2010, 4:03 PM
Went to Turners and bought a handgun and a rifle. They had to do a seperate DROS for the handgun.

Mstrty
04-23-2010, 4:13 PM
I went in to PPT 2 handguns. They charged me 25.00 twice and used 2 forms.
did I get hosed?

ke6guj
04-23-2010, 4:35 PM
I went in to PPT 2 handguns. They charged me 25.00 twice and used 2 forms.
did I get hosed?

well, they could have charged you a total of $66 for both PPT handgun DROSes, so if you were only charged $50, you got off lucky.

What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?

If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:
For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.
(PC section 12082)

ugimports
04-23-2010, 4:49 PM
Just like that. The 4473 isn't limited to one DRoS number. You could do 5 pistols and a rifle DRoS on one if you wanted to.

Good to know.. save some paper in the process. Say you were using the manual DROS worksheets and you didn't input them in the computer on the same day (for whatever reason), where would you put the 2nd date?

Here's a scenario I've run into:
Customer comes in and is going to DROS a Handgun and LongGun. The Long Gun is here now, but the handgun is inbound. I have them use the worksheet for the handgun so they don't have to come back, but do the long gun DROS normally.. If I were to use a single 4473, how would I properly document the 2 DROS transactions with different dates on the same 4473.

I'm guessing from the way you described it that it only works when the DROS dates are on the same day vs. when the customer came in to fill out the paperwork.

ivsamhell
04-23-2010, 4:54 PM
I purchased a handgun/shotgun at the same time and was told they had to be on seperate DRoS, but would have been okay handgun/handgun or long gun/long gun.

Quiet
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM
It's one DROS per handgun.
Multiple long guns can be done on one DROS.

So...
One handgun & one rifle/shotgun = two DROS (one for handgun & one for rifle/shotgun)
Two handguns = two DROS (one for each handgun)
Two rifles/shotguns = one DROS (one for both rifles/shotguns)
One handgun & two rifles/shotguns = two DROS (one for handgun & one for both rifles/shotguns)

ugimports
04-24-2010, 8:48 AM

Now that I think about this more, I think I'll waste paper and do separate 4473s for each DROS and match them 1 to 1. I can see potential issues down the line where documentation can get confusing (on the 4473 side) such as:

Scenario 1:
Customer comes in to PPT Pistol/Rifle
Pistol DROS gets kicked back with delayed or denied
Rifle DROS passes

Scenario 2:
Customer does consignment buy of a handgun, dealer purchase of long gun
Pistol DROS gets kicked back with delayed or denied
Rifle DROS passes

Scenario 3:
Customer does dealer purchase of handgun and long gun
Both DROS get kicked back with delayed or denied, but with 2 different reject dates

I've only had 1 DROS reject so far and now file that 4473/DROS record separate from my other records. Any one of the 3 scenarios could have happened with the same individual and separating that 4473 would have been really confusing.