PDA

View Full Version : reproduction C&R handguns and the CA roster

Texas Boy
04-23-2010, 8:56 AM
I'm interested in Cowboy Action (SASS) and starting to aquire the appropriate equipment. I haven't located any pistols I like that are >50 years old and in my price range, so I am considering reproductions (Cimarron and Uberti are two common suppiers). Here is a typical example of what I might get:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6706.html

Since it is a handgun (and not black powder BTW), I can't mail order it even with an 03 FFL in CA - it must go through a dealer. Correct?

But I can't imagine these old guns being on the CA "safe handgun" roster. So how does this work? How can a dealer order these guns in CA?

Also - is there any real advantage to having an 03 in CA? The only advantage I can see is the ability to order genuine C&R long guns via mail (not reproductions).

Thanks!

zinfull
04-23-2010, 9:55 AM
Single action revolvers are excepted. They have to meet a certain size limit and most do.

If you buy more than one gun a month or into C&R guns then yes it is worth it. There are more benefits that go with a C&R and a COE but you can search those.

jerry

littlejake
04-23-2010, 9:57 AM
Since it is a handgun (and not black powder BTW), I can't mail order it even with an 03 FFL in CA - it must go through a dealer. Correct? True

But I can't imagine these old guns being on the CA "safe handgun" roster. So how does this work? How can a dealer order these guns in CA? Single Action revolvers that meet a minimum barrel length and overall length are roster exempt

Also - is there any real advantage to having an 03 in CA? The only advantage I can see is the ability to order genuine C&R long guns via mail (not reproductions). And -- to buy C&R while out of state and bring them back + with a COE it is an exemption to the AB962 ammo restrictions + with a COE it is presently an exemption to the state 1 in 30 days handgun limit + with a COE, one can take home a C&R gun from a dealer the same day as the DROS is sent in.

Texas Boy
04-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks! I had somehow missed the SA exemption on the roster.

At the moment I'm more in the market for reproduction arms than genuine 50+ year old items (simply a matter of $$$ and the fact I plan to work these guns hard). I probably won't be purchasing multiple handguns (other than the 2 I need for SASS) anytime soon and think AB962 will likely die (plus I reload) - so as much as I'd like to have the 03FFL + COE I just don't see getting much benefit from it.

Too bad there isn't something like the 03FFL + COE that is more general - say the "firearms enthusiast FFL" that would allow you to bypass the 10 day, order via mail, purchase out of state, etc, for any legal firearm.

littlejake
04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
PC 12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications: (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code. (b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

chiefcrash
04-23-2010, 1:44 PM
also, any C&R handgun is exempt from the roster. Still has to go through a dealer, and it actually has to be C&R (either 50+ years old or on the C&R list) but at least you don't have to worry about the roster...

I always used to take my C&R license out to J&G Sales in AZ. Pick up a couple of their cheap little C&R guns (CZ-52, CZ-82, Nagant Revolver), and then shoot off a form + fee to the DOJ upon my return...

Quiet
04-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks! I had somehow missed the SA exemption on the roster.

The single-action revolver exemption was put in place, tp appease SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) and get their support in passing the "unsafe handgun" laws. So, you can thank SASS for the approved list.