PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie question

todd2968
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Been here 5 months (military)
I have an extended cab truck and have been going to the range ammo in ammo can in open bed and guns (not locked) in plastic case in cab no trigger or cable locks. Have I been naughty do I need to lock up my rifles and pistols or is the seperation of the ammo and weapons good enough.
Also what if I run into the store can I put the ammo can in the cab till I get out of the store?

Thank you for your response

Davidoff
04-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Ammo does not need to be locked up at any time, and can be in the same case or container as the firearms.

Handguns should be transported in a locked container. The trunk of a car is a locked container. The glove box or "utility compartment" is not.

Shotguns, rifles and other long arms do not need to be in a locked container unless you are within 1000ft of a school. Most of us pass within 1000ft of a school on the way to the range, so its advisable to lock up your cases. A simple padlock on the zippers is sufficient, but the container or case must be locked. Having a cable or trigger lock doesn't qualify as an exception to the CCW statutes.

Also, read the FAQ: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ

There's lots of stuff in there that you might want to know.