PDA

View Full Version : Gun Owners of California - good group?

maxicon
02-26-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm a member of the NRA, GOA, and CRPA, and I get regular mailings from the GOC - Gun Owners of California - asking for my membership.

I haven't been able to find a lot about their effectiveness, compared to the other groups.

Does anyone have info on whether they're strong contributors to the California gun rights fight?

max

dwtt
02-26-2006, 6:51 PM
GOC is just the state affiliate of GOA. I believe they were the central group in opposing that bill that would ban gun shows at the Cow Palace several years ago. One of their founders, forgot his name, is a retired state rep who wrote the law preventing local cities and counties from regulating firearms different from state laws. This state law is the reason Prop H in San Francisco is illegal.

glen avon
02-26-2006, 7:19 PM
yes sir. they will make fights the NRA won't or can't.

Paladin
02-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Yep, they've fought the good fight in CA for decades. As memory serves, I first heard about the GOC in the late 1970s. They were had a "take-no-prisoners" stand against gun control when the NRA was acting castrated. H.L. "Wild Bill" Richardson, who served in the CA senate for something like 20+ yrs, started the GOC and later took it national when he started the GOA (the GOC remains a separate org).

FYI: H.L.'s classic book on the inside workings of a state legislature (it ain't pretty) is back in print: http://homepage.mac.com/rev710/index.html

CalExile
02-27-2006, 5:36 AM
They defended a local gun shop owner here in VA after ATF thugs broke his glass up, and confiscated a personel display of early 1800's pistols...because they weren't properly serialized and on display in a gun store. This was during the Clinton administration. GOA supposedly provided legal help.

dwtt
02-27-2006, 8:53 PM
H.L. "Wild Bill" Richardson, who served in the CA senate for something like 20+ yrs, started the GOC and later took it national when he started the GOA (the GOC remains a separate org).
That's the guy. H.L. Richardson. Thanks to him, Prop H in San Francisco is illegal.

thmpr
02-27-2006, 10:03 PM
All,
Thanks for the good info. I am now a new member of the GOC. Currently a life member for the GOA, NRA, and CRPA.

:D